Tight Woods Single-Track

• Give me my 4-stroke... Burleson never had anything on me!

Votes: 43 19.7%
  • Give me my 2-stroke... I'll show that Lafferty guy!

Votes: 170 78.0%
  • I'm a greenie. Humans are evil and destructive, I know best. See my crown of many jewels?

Votes: 5 2.3%

• Total voters

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
Please keep in mind that I'm asking those who like the challenge of tight, gnarly singletrack. (Todays HS and GNCC stuff is wide-open 2-trak in comparison.)
Most of the guys I ride with are 35-65 years old and have hung-up their racing numbers.... we put in long, high mileage days (usually 60-100 miles.) Almost all of us have given the 4-strokes a try, and about 1/3 have returned to a 2-stroke.

The 4-stroke die-hards are saying:
-Friendlier, more predictable power delivery.
-Holds a straighter line.
-Better traction.
-Better on uphills
-Like the engine braking.
-Lack of "hit" is less tiring.
-No need for pre-mix (I'm not buying that one, how hard is it?)
-Get with the times, the 2-stroke's a dinosaur.
-I can't see thru the 2-stroke smoke!
-Ring-ding-ding p*sses me off.

The 2-stroke die-hards are saying:
-Like the "hit" when the traction's there.
-Less gyro-affect engine mass makes bike more flickable.
-Easier to change lines.
-Better on downhills.
-Lack of weight is less tiring.
-Prefer the brake-slide-in, roost-out technique.
-No valve related maintainance/cost issues (no complaints with the 4-stroke Yamahas and KTMs on this one.)
-Easier to pick up.
-Huh? Your loud 4-stroke is deafening!
-Quiet those echoing 4-strokes down before we lose our land!

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
It's a fine line for me, but I'm hopping back over to the smokers after I'm done with this bike.

YamaB

Apr 2, 2004
I like the 2-strokes better for everything except mx. The HS races I run are MUCH tighter than GNCC stuff, and 2-strokes pretty much dominate the field.

djj

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 18, 2003
How about the fact that when you dump a 2-stroke, usually its a 2 or 3 kick restart. Kill a 4-stroke when its hot. :laugh:

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
That's one I make sure I point out to my 4-stroke buds while they kick... they don't seem to think it's funny though. :think:

btm1948

Jun 4, 2008
i just got back from riding at rampart range with 5 bikes i was the only 2 stroke. just imagine how much crap i was getting but i was the one giving them crap when i left them in my dust and smoke. i only crashed once and they didnt even know it cause i didnt have to sit there for 2 hours trying to start it first kick and i was off. 2 stroke all the way

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
Holy monkey!!! 16:1?

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
YamaB said:
I like the 2-strokes better for everything except mx. The HS races I run are MUCH tighter than GNCC stuff, and 2-strokes pretty much dominate the field.
I see you're in Kansas City, you ride the Missouri series?

jodyboy

Mar 5, 2008
Long live the two stroke. I smoke four bangers on a regular basis. We're the last of a dying breed. As long as they make parts for the two stroke, then that's what I'll ride. But sadly, the era of a legend is coming to an end. You'll be sorely missed smoker. I'm just glad to have been apart and the era.

jodyboy

Mar 5, 2008
btm1948 said:
that was my reply to what jodyboy was saying

btm1948, do see any reason why they are even doing this pole? Like there is even an option. Hands down. The four stroke will never meet up to the expectations. We're too fast, too light, and have too much zip in the corners. Just make sure to tell your kids and grandkids about the two stroke. It's kinda like my granddad telling me about a buddy that was in his platoon during Korea. I never knew him, but I know he died a WAR LEGEND.

btm1948

Jun 4, 2008
dont even break a sweat on that i will try to keep the 2 strokes going forever. no way i am going back to a four stroke when 2 strokes are still legal.

jodyboy

Mar 5, 2008
btm1948 said:
dont even break a sweat on that i will try to keep the 2 strokes going forever. no way i am going back to a four stroke when 2 strokes are still legal.

Rock on brother!

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
btm1948 said:
2 strokes are still legal.
What a shame... is this the bottom line of it all?

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
I know that this has been rehashed like a million times, but its like comparing a big block V8 to a 4 banger commuter car engine. The 4 stokes are amazing, but its only because of the class structure. If you factor in the costs its hands down 2 stroke. If you don't care too, then for true single track and normal humans the 2 stroke is way superior and it will start WHEN you stall or crash. Plus it quieter. Plus its way more fun!

Kevin

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
Five to one baby, one in five... no one here gets out alive...

TRexRacing

Jul 23, 2002
I love 'em both.I like the way my CRF is over 40HP for 4500 RPM.Allows me gearing choices I can't have with smokers.But it's a pain to maintain and expensive too.But nothing beats a big bore smoker.Nothing.BING-BING-BING ah the sound of power.I ride senior so I can ride a freakin Sportster if I wanna.

btm1948

Jun 4, 2008
the big bore 2 strokes are a power house you got to love them. my friends are all for 4 strokes and so they nick named my bike chitty chitty bang bang, but when they catch up to me i ask them why chitty chitty bang bang out ran them ha ha cant go wrong with the two stroke.

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
In the riding conditions I stated, it sure is obvious that most prefer a smoker. On a different "dirt bike site" I read a post saying "Write a letter to Suzuki stating your enjoyment of their 2-strokes and maybe we can change this "none offered in the USA for 2009." I did... and American Suzuki called me yesterday!

No RM250's in the states anymore. :ugg:

gopat

Mi. Trail Riders
Jun 19, 2007
2 stroke muscle

I like 2 and 4 strokes. The thumpers have that neat sound and predictable power, they are just plain fun....

But that engine braking can make you lazy in the tight woods and it is nice to have that extra power to weight ratio of a 2 stroker. Yes, 2 strokes might be a bit more technical to ride, but they force you to use your front brake for instant speed correction in the tight stuff, not wait till the engine slows you down...

4 strokes are fun, but 2 strokes get er done...

kschilk

Jul 9, 2008
2-Strokes 4-ever said:
In the riding conditions I stated, it sure is obvious that most prefer a smoker. On a different "dirt bike site" I read a post saying "Write a letter to Suzuki stating your enjoyment of their 2-strokes and maybe we can change this "none offered in the USA for 2009." I did... and American Suzuki called me yesterday!

No RM250's in the states anymore. :ugg:

It's not up to the factories, it's a Federal thing....you can thank California, as always. :| I remember bein' told as a kid, that it was gonna' break-off and fall into the ocean....what's the hold-up!?!! :yell:

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
kschilk said:
It's not up to the factories, it's a Federal thing....you can thank California, as always. :| I remember bein' told as a kid, that it was gonna' break-off and fall into the ocean....what's the hold-up!?!! :yell:
Ultimately, it IS a factory thing. The AMA wanted to encourage 4-stroke R&D partially because developing these bikes would bring more consumer choices, and we have the popular "be green" agenda too. The factories will make what sells, and we aren't buying the 2-strokes. The choice is ultimately the consumers.

Top Bottom