Tim Ferry Gets a Little Help at Salt Lake City.

B

biglou

Did anyone see the 250 qualifier at Salt Lake City where Darcy Lange (sp?), Suzuki rider #810 (I think), stopped and picked Tim Ferry's bike up off him? I thought that was a great display of sportsmanship. I think Ferry was hurt fairly bad in the crash since he DNF'd and didn't make the Vegas final. It appeared as though he somehow had is helmet/head hung up underneath his 426 and was struggling but could not free himself. Darcy pulled up to the berm, dropped his bike against it and then picked the 426 up off Ferry's head. I know you can't see faces through helmets, but Ferry had this surprised look like, "Wow, that's something you don't see everyday!" Not too often you see that kind of camaraderie among the highest echelon of the pros. It's commonplace for us mere mortals in our everyday riding but it was rare and refreshing to see this among the sport's elite. Cheers to Darcy. :) :cool:

B

biglou

I almost forgot, I was going to mention how cool it was when Ramsey won at Pontiac and the first two guys to pull up and give a handshake and a slap on the back were RC and MC. Mutual respect from these guys. Very cool.

JuliusPleaser

Too much of a good thing.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
I missed the Salt Lake 250 round. Anybody have it on tape?

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
I liked it, too. Major MoJo for Lange.

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
Yes I was impressed with what happened at Salt Lake and the kid made sure his mom saw it also. Actually it isn't that uncommon to see at our local races. I have already this twice seen A riders stop in the middle of a moto to pull bikes off another racer or aid one down on the track.
At our first race thekid went down hard and didn't get up for over 3 minutes and when one of his friends that was behind him when he crashed saw he was still down he pulled into the infield to find my wife. He knew we usually watch at the far end and wouldn't know hthekid was down.
I guess with the danger involved and the family atmosphere of local races this isn't a total surprise.

JP PM me your address I think I still have both 125 and 250 on tape.

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
Wow... awesome of Lange! Big thumbs up and an A+ on sportsmanship!

cornfed

Nov 9, 2001
lange did not pull the bike off of ferry, it was #810 (what ever his name is). lange had just hit ferry's bike after he landed & was recollecting himself. #810 came over the jump, saw ferry & threw his bike to the ground to help ferry.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
According to the AMA page, National #810 is Jason P. Kloptowsky of Oak Lawn, IL.

Could have been him or perhaps a local qualifier. Lange is AMA #303 and I believe he still rides a Kawi.

Last edited:

marcv125

Oct 29, 2001
I saw it, if it wasnt for (add name here) then ferry could have gotten seriously injured i think. Major cudos

Last edited:

Danman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 7, 2000
I personaly thought that it was awsome to see some stop. The guys head was trapped under the bike. One that almost went down ran over his bike. A big thumbs up to the fella who pulled it off his head! :)

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
Originally posted by dirt bike dave
According to the AMA page, National #810 is Jason P. Kloptowsky of Oak Lawn, IL.

Could have been him or perhaps a local qualifier. Lange is AMA #303 and I believe he still rides a Kawi.

Hehehe... :confused: It wasn't Kloptowsky! I raced at the same track with him that weekend here in Illinois (plus he rides YZ's). In fact - my latest race report write-up from that weekend is titled "Kloptowsky and Demars Top Joliet". But I'm sure Jason would have helped, too. A few weeks ago at Joliet, everyone in the 125A class crashed on the new tricky right-hand start except for Jason. Jason pulled off and had them red flag the race and restart to give everyone a chance :D

The RM's in Ferry's qualifier were:

7th - 77 BEN H RIDDLE
8th - 20 DAMON W HUFFMAN
14th - 851 SCOTT A DAVIS
19th - 58 ISAIAH V JOHNSON

So maybe Scott Davis was the hero? Regardless of who it was - very awesome move! :cool:

(BTW - Ferry finished 18th)

Milquetoast

Uhhh...
Oct 30, 2001
So who is this mystery knight in shining armor? I want to email the dude and tell him that I'll root for him from now on. (yes, I was that impressed by his actions) :)

JuliusPleaser

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
I just watched my Vegas SX tape, and Bailey mentioned that Davis was the one who helped Ferry up at SLC. Davis went down and Bailey took the opportunity to prop him.

_j0kA_

Jan 29, 2002
Darcy Lange kicks ass!! He is our homewtown (well, province) rider and I have followed his career ever since he made it pro.. He took the time to talk to me at a local arenacross where I was racing and gave me some pointers.. I don't think you can get much better then that!

GO DARCY!

Milquetoast

Uhhh...
Oct 30, 2001
Uh, what did you say JP? Does that mean that it was Davis or not? When I saw it, Mr. nice guy didn't "go down", he obviously dropped the bike on purpose to help Ferry.

JuliusPleaser

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
Davis crashed (on camera) at the Vegas round, and Bailey mentioned that Davis was the one who helped Ferry at SLC.

I meant that Davis went down at the Vegas round.

open bike

Apr 10, 2002
Years ago Larry Brooks got a bad burn that he still has a scar from when his bike fell on his head and the pipe burned his neck,to bad he didnt have help as fast as Ferry had.

AngryCandy

Mar 2, 2001
Very cool. I've been there, trapped under the bike and it sucks.

Originally posted by BigLou
I think Ferry was hurt fairly bad in the crash since he DNF'd and didn't make the Vegas final.

Actually, Ferry did make it to the main in the second round of qualifiers. He finished fairly far back in the main, though.

Top Bottom