MayhemInNY

Feb 18, 2004
Wow, great forum, tons of really helpful information.. I just have some specific questions.. About 8 years ago (wow, time flies) I sold off my first and only bike, a 94 Honda XR100.. I had the bike for about two years and when I sold it I planned on stepping it up to a bigger bike, but because of a little accident (got something like 50 stitches in my leg) my parents weren't too thrilled about getting me a bigger and faster bike, so I had to give up my love for bikes... Ever since then I have been yearning to get another bike (nothing really beats the thrill of riding a bike), but didn't really have anyone to ride with.. Well, a friend of mine from school rides and now that Ive got some people to ride with Im ready to get another bike.. :)

My friend has a 91 KX125 and he does some trail riding around his house.. We've been talking about what kind of bike I should get and he thinks I should look at a 125.. Me, Im not too sure, especially now with all these 4 stroke motor-x bikes out.. I plan to start off with some trail riding but eventually, when Im capable Id like to make my way onto a track (im about 1.5hours from raceway park over in englishtown NJ)..

Im 6'1 and weigh 205lbs.. Im not too bike for a 125.. right?

Ive been reading some of the recent buying experiences and Ive seen that people are getting killer deals on dealer 03s.. Personally, I have no problems getting an 03 especially if I can get one for $3300 plus taxes.. I was planning on getting a used bike but wasn't too thrilled with the idea simply because I don't want to deal with fixing or repairing a bike... I love working on my car but I don't want to stuck with someone elses headaches..

Which are the bikes with the killer deals? I saw that Honda and Yamaha are having some special finance rates so Im probably going to go the finance route.. What should I expect to pay for an 03? Is $3,300 a realistic number?

Im also wondering what kinda bikes you guys recommend? Ive was reading up on the engines, and Im really shocked at how different each power curve is.. Back when I was riding the only bikes out were the 2 stroke moto-x bikes and the 4 stroke trail bikes.. Its really cool to see how things changed and how some things stayed the same (Carmichael is one of the top guys in the 250class and McGrath is still out there racing).. There were no 4 stroke moto-x bikes like today, whats the deal with them? what 4 stroke mx bike would be equivalent in speed with a 125? I remember back in the day that the 4strokers were more reliable, quieter, and a little slower then the 2 strokers.. is that still the same (man, I feel like an old timer saying that and Im only 23.. haha)..

Anyway, Im also going to be getting all the equipment this time around (I learned my lesson last time) and was wondering what you guys recommend for that? Im assuming the dealership marks that stuff up considerably, so Im planning on picking up everything but the helmet and boots online.. I guess the sponsors of the site are a good place to check out? I prefer trying the boots and helmet on in the store to ensure they have a perfect fit...

Sorry for all the questions, if one thing has been touched upon in the past just let me know and Ill try searching for it.. The one thing I am interested in is recent purchasing stories and equipment.. I don't have any experience with buying a bike so Im wondering what I have to expect..

Thanks for all the help

mobrown

Jan 26, 2004
Same size..

Dude you'er about 7 or 8 lbs. haevier than me and the same height... a 125 is not a lot of bike for someone your size. The guy at my local shop said that if you're over say... 185 lbs. you need to move up to a 250. I have a CR250 (older, 1991) and it is a great bike. I was riding a KX125 but you have to stay on it so much to keep it going.

For $3300 you have a LOT of options if you aren't set on having a brand spanking new one. You can get 250's a year or two old for that price (maybe 2 0r 3 years)

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
You really need to nail down what you’re going to ride more trails Vs track? From what you said so far sounds like a YZF250 would be a good choice. There's many two strokes that would fit you but other can advise on that.The YZF250 can be a potent woods weapon and be very fast on the track. They have modern suspension this is a plus for your size and weight. Just make sure if your buying this bike used. Not to get a poorly maintained one, Thing’s can go wrong in big way fast with the top ends. And they’re very costly to repair. if you have a catastrophic failure. The basic maintenance on the YZF from what I'm told is bit more costly, but not to bad.

nectar

Sep 11, 2002
Yeah, get a good pair of boots so you don't rip open your leg again. I always wear knee protectors and chest protector, and I would suggest you do the same. And you're right, as you can get much better deals on riding gear online and via 800's. As far as bikes go...you maybe to big for a 125, but "ok" for a mx 250f. Me...I would stay away from a hardreving 4strokes cause repair/topend is much more difficult than on a 2stroke, plus they are really loud....for trail riding you should get a KDX, and for the track get a KX250....or maybe just get the KX250 and do some mods to make it more trail friendly....I've got both, and ride the KDX on trails cause it awsome in the woods....Good luck with it.

MayhemInNY

Feb 18, 2004
Thanks for th help guys.. Im going to head over to the dealerships and see what kinda bikes they got and what kinda deals they can hand out.. Im really interested to see what kinda deal I can get on a YZ250F, or a CRF250R.. The 125 might not be enough bike for me but if I can get a killer deal on an 03 I think I might have to go for it, unless that would be a huge mistake?? I kinda see this bike as a learner for me since its been awhile since I've rode.. I don't need something ridiculously fast, just something that will keep me happy and get me over some jumps.. My friend is about my size and says he has a blast on his 91 KX125, so Im not too worried about it might being a little too small..

As for the riding style.. Ill probably be doing more track riding.. Back when I rode I did some trail stuff, and did a little track riding and I enjoyed the track more..

Top Bottom