Time for an upgrade - first *real* off-road bike

kcampbe

Aug 23, 2008
I'm currently riding a 200cc enduro china bike - I know, I know. it was cheap. ;-)

1) your physical size: 6', 240lb
2) How physical / aggressive are you: Not very
3) what do you plan to ride: woods, trails, small jumps
4) Do you have any riding experience: 2 years street, 1 year on above
5) Do you think you will race: no
6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work: I can do some bike work.
7) Do YOU have a preference to a brand/motor choice (2 or 4 stroke): Have Suzuki and Kawasaki, like the 2t maintenance, don't mind the noise or smell
8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry: Many dealers, all brands nearby - including euro
9) How much ($) do you plan to spend on a bike: just really starting - $2k
10) Do you live in California: No, Georgia
11) Your age: 48
12) anything else that you think would help form an opinion: going super fast isn't my thing, but fast is okay

I've considered the KDXs, KTM EXC, GasGas 200, etc. KDX are tricky to find as are 250EXC. Not sure if the GG EC200 is enough or if the 300EXC is too much?

Found a very nice '98 250EXC but have heard about shock problems - is that easily remedied?

I'm putting in your hands. Since I'm looking to buying used doing a lot of test rides is tricky and I don't have many friends that ride.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Kevin

Apr 30, 2007
I'm thinking the KTM EXC would be the way to go for you. I'm not perfectly familiar with them, but they have a pretty good reputation towards being a solid bike, especially their trail oriented 2 stroke engines. KTMs also have a larger used part market here in the US, and I'd suggest that over going with a Euro bike, even if you do have a local Euro dealer.

Sizewise, I think you've got it down pat with the 250. The 300 wouldn't be too much for you by any means, beings as you aren't a tiny stick figured teenager, but for having a first bike, that's a realiable way to go.

If you want to explore what's around you even a little further, with reliable and low maintenance, and probably even cheaper price range, look into getting a 99-02 Honda XR250. It's by far the most bullet proof four stroke machine I've had experience with. At most, you'll be changing the oil, topping off the gas, and checking chain and sprockets and tires. It has all kinds of friendly torque, with just enough suspension to handle smaller jumps and rougher trails. You won't lose much, if any, in resale either should you decide to step up to a larger engine or different style bike.

I would assume that you'd be able to pick up a 98 or close to it for at most 1700 dollars (I have been wrong before, but I throw these estimates out there based on what I've seen in my area). This leaves you 300 to spend on gear, and even if you aren't going "super fast," don't hop on that bike without helmet good goggles, boots, and chest protector MINIMUM.

Keep us posted as to what you decide and find!

Mar 18, 2006
KDX 200/220 or XR400. Good trail bikes. The XR250 won't have much power, but might be OK? I vote for the KDX for you. It works for me. A very comfortable, competent trail bike with enough power to be interesting.

Good Luck!

YZ__rider

Jan 16, 2010
Coming off of a 200cc Chinese bike, I am thinking that a 300 EXC might be a little too much. However, you are not a small guy and it really depends on your skill level. I agree with the XR400 and KDX recommendations if you are not ready for the 300.

Top Bottom