Michelle

Sponsoring Member
Oct 26, 1999
A couple of you know my secret and I know one is laughing at me, so I thought I better come clean so you can all laugh at me.

Whilst in Oregon, I fell in love with the TTR125L & had emailed Henk to tell him, knowing full well he'd not be impressed with that. a) we can't really afford me to get another bike b) he's a two stroke nut c) hell, I dunno, but there has to be a c

We were standing around about a month ago talking to some guys about a ride coming up & Henk asked me if he could get a new tyre for that. My reply was only if I could get a new bike. Raised eyebrows appeared, a lot of cackling until he replied that yeah, I could. End result is we're waiting for my bike to come in. I was going to buy an ex-demo but the price was quite high as it's a road legal bike (not necessary for me) and for a bit more I could get an electric start model. We were hoping it would be there for the trailride I wanted it for, but it wasn't. Instead, I rode the demo model which isn't lazy-legged.

Now I know we often recommend them for new riders, and believe me, I still think they're great for that. We'd (me) been wanting to lower the KDX but I just wasn't sure about it. We ride a sand-based forest in winter & a clay-based one in summer (it is never totally dry, it has ruts, bog holes, tree roots and is pretty technical to ride). People either hate or love it, personally I love it, even though I struggle there. I've been told I need a smaller bike but because of the other forest, I've been adamant I don't. I love the power of the KDX in the sand, but don't need it in the bogs.

Weekend before last, we were in the muddy forest playing & marking trails, with me getting stuck a couple of times which Henk helped me get out of. One other time I remember I got stuck, but got myself out of that, something I couldn't have done on the KDX but had no trouble with the TTR. I fell off a bridge (everyone else just had moments, I decided to complete the moment) and we both struggled to pick the bike up as it was that slippery you couldn't get a grip and kept wanting to slide off the bridge yourself (the bike stayed up there, it was just me on my butt).

At one point, I was wondering why Henk kept waiting for me but didn't think too much of it. I did think it wasn't very good that the one time I could've used a hand he kept on going. Later on in the week he admitted that he was pushing as hard as he could to keep ahead of me lol.

Then on Sunday we had the trailride. I did sign on until a friend turned up, so quickly finished gearing up, warmed up the bike & by that time her husband had come back, so he took us on the kid's loop that they'd cut the day before. This friend has been riding about 4 months (at a guess) and had never ridden in this forest but heard plenty about what it was like. Her husband was keen for the two of us to swap bikes (she rides a CR150F) but we never got around to it. He'd been that impressed with me/the bike the week before - apparently he'd gotten home & raved to her about the TTR.

The two of us cruised around the main trail with me helping her get out of predicaments when needed and giving instruction before obstacles (like the bridge, I told her I was going to walk the bike across, but we both just paddled over it). At the top of the hill past that we got talking to some guys & they all commented how they'd been really close to falling off - it made them feel better when I told them I had the previous week hehehe. When her husband went to pass us, he stuck around for a few minutes to make sure we were okay & that was the last we saw of him till the end of the ride.

One of the places I got stuck the previous week had been bridged (much better) so that wasn't a problem this time. I had a few moments/got stuck but felt better watching other riders have troubles there too. My friend & I had a good ride on our baby bikes and I can't wait to get back there (thankfully it didn't rain till Monday otherwise it was going to have been a way different story). We had to cut the ride short as their kids were turning up (we turned up late anyway) and just spent the rest of the afternoon playing on the kids' track & talking.

Henk had been extremely dubious about my choice of bike but now agrees with me as to why I wanted it. I've felt very guilty about getting another bike which is basically just for this forest, but after riding it, I say stuff it. I want to enjoy riding (I do) and if anything will help with that (long term) I'm all for it (I've done the same with him when he's wanted another bike).

I still feel guilty about everything all of you did for me while I was there and I guess that's been part of my guilt about getting a 2nd bike too. However, it means we've got spare bikes if you come over and I know it also means my KDX won't be replaced anytime soon (I never expected it to be as I don't need more power obviously lol). BTW the photos aren't forgotten, they're scanned waiting for me to finish naming them & then burn CDs to send over. Oh, I forgot to mention - it's all your fault anyway hehehehe.

One thing I have noticed is going round off-cambre turns, I notice I'm really weighting the correct peg even though it still feels wierd.
Ah well, enough of my drivel, I just really wanted to share that with you as it was playing on my conscience. I really do need to try to take pix next time we're in that forest so you can see what it's like - Oregon when wet but smaller hills & more ruts, bogs & tree roots is as close a description I can think of.
Michelle

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
Congrats on the new "woods weapon"! I my self have made this mistake twice. As for having two boys with short legs on tall bikes. Makes for a hard training day in the woods. Both of my boys were so much better riders on their smaller bikes.

LoriKTM

Super Power AssClown
Oct 4, 1999
New Mexico
Hey Michelle, I don't blame you a bit. Those little TTR's are addictive.  When I flew out for the Reno ride a couple years ago, I rode a TTR (non-L version) for most of a day.  It was amazing what that little bike would get through!  Always wanted more power for the roads, but it was a hoot in the tighter stuff.  Wring it out a little bit, and it will climb some decent hills, too.

Since moving to NY a couple years ago, my husband and I have come to the realization that East Coast riding really IS different than riding out in the midwest.  My KTM200 is great in the areas we rode in IL, but tends to beat me up on the long rocky trails out here.  So I've been contemplating a change in bike as well.  Just haven't decided on WHAT, yet.  :confused: 

bbbom

~SPONSOR~
Aug 13, 1999
Originally posted by LoriKTM
My KTM200 ..... tends to beat me up on the long rocky trails out here. So I've been contemplating a change in bike as well. Just haven't decided on WHAT, yet.

Well, I can certainly recommend a good bike for the long rocky trails!!! ;) And thanks to my new Carbon Fiber Pipe Guard & Bark Busters from my sweetie it looks mahhhhhvelous!!!!!

LoriKTM

Super Power AssClown
Oct 4, 1999
New Mexico
....uh....YEAH!  I'll head right down and get one of those CR500's!  What was I thinking...smaller?!!  :confused:

Michelle

Sponsoring Member
Oct 26, 1999
Lori, to be honest, I felt like I was letting the side down by even contemplating a smaller bike for Riverhead, it feels like cheating. But I also felt like riding my KDX there wasn't improving my riding fast enough and a lot of the times I got stuck I'd need help getting unstuck. I really was impressed by how I wouldn't think twice about tackling stuff that on my KDX I'd be looking at & going "no way, you've got to be ****ting me".

I remember one ride last summer where I stuffed up the approach to a bridge (a lot of bridges over the yuck stuff) and because it had a uphill at the back of the bike, a step onto the bridge, I was stuck proper. I couldn't start the bike (couldn't reach the ground), kept laying the bike down hoping to move it far enough so I could start it and after about half an hour of this, someone came along & got me unstuck. T & I rode the same bridge on Sunday (I recognised it afterwards) and had no problems and she looked in disbelief at me when I told her I'd been stuck there on the KDX ;) I think it was drier Sunday than the other time, but that might also be my mistaken memory.

I'm hoping that after two seasons on this bike I'll feel confident enough to take the KDX back there and not be so intimidated by it all. If we didn't have to get back by a certain time for the kids, I think we'd have hit the harder deviations but we both hope to over summer. It has definitely given me more confidence in the place. I also had to laugh when the top NZ enduro rider asked me how it was going and he commented that it was a better fit for paddling than the KDX (which I'd bought off him). I just couldn't imagine him paddling anywhere but apparently he does sometimes too (just a lot faster than most of us).

Bbbom, damn, I wish I'd thought of that ;) Wonder how much you can lower it by? I still don't know how you ride that beast lol

LoriKTM

Super Power AssClown
Oct 4, 1999
New Mexico
Michelle, you shouldn't feel bad, or think you're letting anyone down.  Whatever you ride that makes you confident, and allows you to enjoy the trail has to be good, right?  And if it makes you faster to boot, then even better!

Riding a bigger bike will increase your strength, and allow you to develop the proper riding technique. (Being smaller, I think we tend to ride using better technique on the bigger bikes, for fear of getting stuck or tipping over!) Then, when you jump on a small bike like the TTR, you feel more confident ripping around on it, and you worry less about getting stuck in an awkward position.

CJ Rider

~SPONSOR~
Apr 3, 2000
AWESOME that you like your new little bike, Michelle! After seeing first-hand the types of trails you ride (TIGHT and STEEP through all those PLANTS/ROOTS with all that MOISTURE), I can imagine that a smaller bike would be an advantage there in a lot of situations! You have a KICK with that thing, girl!

AnneBrooks

Jan 17, 2001
Great choice, Michelle!! I told Bob that I really want one of those, but just for tooling around. I am quite a bit taller than you, so that is not a problem for me, but I can totally understand. I absolutely love 4strokes, so you won't get an argument from me on that. Have fun and ride what you have fun on!!

Lori---you should think about the GasGas 200---it is not as snappy as the KTM and the steering is much quicker too. It is very smooth and lots of fun to ride. Wish I was going to Dirt week---I would let you try it out..

Michelle

Sponsoring Member
Oct 26, 1999
To be honest Anne, I've thought long & hard about it and fought myself every step of the way. End of the day, though, I want to enjoy my riding & continue to do so. I also don't want to end up scared to try new things & new terrain (some of the rides I've been on are enough to put me off) and to get totally comfortable in the forest that we don't ride very often. I guess the TTR is a security blanket in a way, but one I hope to outgrow given time. I broke my thumb there at one stage because I freaked having to avoid some huge ruts and then because I was going to slow taking off on a corner, I dropped the bike (couldn't touch the ground) and put my right hand out (the clay was solid that day and I fell to my left - I f'ed up good hehehe). It was hard to ride back to base without really being able to hold on to the throttle lol

CJ, we took you to the sand-based forest, which is much easier to ride (dull often springs to mind). It's flat compared to Rivehead, which is flat compared to Oregon. Some of the ruts are incredible, others are just a pain. I dropped my helmet in one last summer & it sunk (well, not quite, I managed to grab it before it went all the way down), but thankfully I kept the bike out (changing plugs, which almost went the same way as my helmet lol). The 4WDs pick a hole & see how deep they can make it before it's impassable with a winch. But it's fun to ride there, just the conditions change from day-to-day.

I'll probably be like Kerrie with the KTM she rode (Natalie's?) & forget it has a button, but at least it starts easier than a bigger bike lol. I hopped back on the KDX on Saturday & couldn't start it, but I think she was protesting me not having taken her for a ride for a couple of weeks & that my last ride on her had been slow at the end (should've taken her for a strop but didn't think of it).

Bbbom, shortening it by dropping it is fine by me, it's then having to raise it that'll be the problem lol.

Anne, now you've got the perfect excuse for a baby bike to muck around on lol :)

Lori, I'm sure I'll still find plenty of opportunity to get myself stuck - I'm a stuck-magnet. My ride last Saturday I decided to do some exploring but got frustrated everytime I got stuck (like continuously) - I just wasn't one with the bike but I was getting a feel for the terrain hehehehehe

LoriKTM

Super Power AssClown
Oct 4, 1999
New Mexico
Originally posted by AnneBrooks
Lori---you should think about the GasGas 200---Wish I was going to Dirt week---I would let you try it out..

Why do you think I was asking if you were going to DirtWeek?  I wanted to scam a ride on your bike!  :)   Actually, I rode a GG200 out in Reno a couple years ago.  It was pretty smooth, but without riding it back-to-back with my KTM, it's hard to make a good comparison.

I'd really like big-bike power (ok, maybe "medium bike power") and some decent suspension in a small package.  I think I could be more aggressive with a smaller bike.  Soo...I'm seriously contemplating that my next bike might be a Big Bad Red one...   :laugh:

AnneBrooks

Jan 17, 2001
I know what you mean...Bob reads all the magazines and is worried that I am going to want to get "another" new bike when that Honda comes out. I am going to stick with the GG for a 2-3 more years and then decide.

Hey--if you want to stop on your way to dirt week and ride at Buffalo one day--I am sure we can swing that (me watching, of course). You guys haven't ridden there in a few years and it might be fun and you get to try it out..

Pegasus

~SPONSOR~
Jan 31, 2001
Hey Michelle,
First time here in awhile!
Im so glad you got your bike. I know you are having a blast.. While the boys were here I rode Marys TTRL with Kyle on the front for hours.. Connor is brave now on the Yammy 50.. we tooled all over the roads and connectors behind the house. Yamaha did agreat job on the TTR.. Its smooth and really fun..I cant believe where Liddy takes hers..Except is wasnt such a good idea when she rode it wide open in the Christmas Valley sand .. almost dark looking for Rick.. long story :-)..
Remember Bill has all that stuff for sale If you need anything Id be glad to send it or anything else over..
Have fun !!!!

Michelle

Sponsoring Member
Oct 26, 1999
Ellen, Henk has been amazed by the bike. He now realises why I fell in love with it ;) We've raised the handlebars, which means it's more awkward to sit than stand (definitely a good thing). You'll have to get Liddy to tell us the story about looking for Rick - long stories are always great reads lol :)

I discovered a huge benefit about the bike yesterday. My friend's 10yo has outgrown her XR80 & got a TTR, too (yes, this means TTR racing for the guys). She commented to me that she couldn't stand around a short trail as it was too tight, so the two of us went out with me proving that you didn't actually need to sit to go around it, but I gave myself an out, saying there might be two places (corners) that I sat. I didn't & nor did she. The next lap, I followed her & saw her wanting to sit a few times but she didn't & we both had huge grins at the end - she was standing as much as possible after that :)

Later on, her, her mum & I went through a new piece of trail and near the end was a little, slippery log. My back end slid out but I managed to keep on the bike. My little friend wasn't so lucky & promptly burst into tears. We worked out she wasn't hurt apart from her pride, got her bike going again but she refused to get back on it. Her mum admitted she'd got a bit stuck on a slight uphill (which both of us hadn't had a problem with), but the little one didn't cheer up until I told her I'd almost lost the bike on the same log. She then developed a huge smile & wiped her tears, got on her bike & had fun for the rest of the ride.

We played a bit of TTR racing ourselves later on in the day and I've decided I'll ride the bike a bit more often than I thought, just so I can keep my little buddy interested. She's a lot like I was as a child - loner, quiet, shy, book worm, so I relate to her a fair bit. She's a middle child and I've always made a point of not leaving her out of things (it's easy to do with her personality). I thought I'd have fun playing chasey with her, but didn't realise what an effect that was going to have on her. The one thing that pees me off about her bike is it's got a horn, so she teases me with that as we go riding. I have to tease her with the lazy leg (after I've got her bike going after she drops it lol). Basically, the two of us are having fun & it's helping her.

I was also showing her yesterday about holding the bike between her legs and not, so I am passing on what I learned at the school.

Pegasus

~SPONSOR~
Jan 31, 2001
Michelle, Your young friend is lucky to have you as a friend and guide..Riding with you will give her confidence..and knowing you she is laughing a lot and under no pressure.. Keep passing on all the stuff you learn !
The one person who kinda jumped in and helped me as a kid Ill always remember..

I saw Belle this weekend.. She said Bob was going dirkt track riding today. I said cool.. where? ...a friend back yard on Syds TTR...Marshal has been spotted more than once racing about the property on Mary's TTR.. " uh..I gotta keep running ya know"...riiiiight :-)

Good thing that came of Liddys "mishap" is that Rick is putting a 150 kit in her bike..Part of the tale has to do with exploring down something she couldnt get back up and crashing :eek: ...then having to ride around the mountain thinking she was heading in the direction of camp.. Getting dark and not yet on the right track she held it wide open in the sand.. uh a little to long.. something about a melted oil plug..Then Rick finding her in the dark miles from camp.. she had be yelling for bout 1/2 hr.. While looking he heard her.When she took off she thought she had her bearings all straight..the desert can do that to ya.
Those of you who dont know Liddy ..she is tough !.. She is about 5'1 and beats the guys driving "tough trucks"..and can weild a chainsaw with the best of them..and oooh does she have a temper.. She said after she crashed and was lost she was so mad she just pinned it. Oops
When you come we'll ride at her place..they bought 160 ac on top of a mountain 8 mi dirt driveway in the middle of some of the best riding around here.

Last edited:
Top Bottom