Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
Hi All,

I've had my Alpinestars Tech 6 boots for too long now, 4 maybe 5 years, and they are really showing their age. It's time to replace them. I haven't really looked into what's available for boots since I got these. The boots before the T6s was AXO RC4. To say I love the T6s and the protection they have afforded me over the years would be an understatement, plus they have held up incredibly well for the abuse I put them through. I'm pretty much set to just get another pair of the T6s and call it done. But, maybe there is something better that has come down the pike since my last purchase that would suit my purposes even better.

• I ride woods 99.99% of the time
  • My only beef with the T6's is the lack of a full gator like it's older brother the T8.
  • I don't want a bootie
  • I have seen some boots with the hinged ankle, but have mixed feelings on them. Seems like they might offer some creature comforts, but also add complexity. I'd hate to have a boot become worthless out on the trail for the lack of a hinge bolt gone missing.
  • I have Wide, damn near boat paddle, feet. narrow boots need not apply.

That's about all I can think of off the top of my head. Suggestions? Comparisons? Thoughts?

Thanks,
PK

Last edited:

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
I have the Gaerne SG-10's, which have a hinged ankle. I absolutely love these boots. They are holding up great, offer excellent protection, and are supremely comfortable. For trail riding where you are occassionally off the bike and walking around, they are great. Never gave a thought at all to the hinge breaking. You'll find many owners of the SG-10 feel the same way.

One of my friend's has Sidi's top of the line hinged boot and he feels the same way about his choice as I feel about the SG-10.

Isobareng

Oct 16, 2007
I have the Tech 7 Alpinestars there are pretty good. The one oddity is the top strap and the upper closer Velcro are in conflict with each other when latching. I have a thin piece of card board about 3" by 8" from a Pepsi box that I leave in my gear bag. I simply leave it between the Velcro sections, latch the top strap then pull the cardboard out to let the Velcro connect. My favorite boots of all time were made in the 70's and 80's under the brand name of Hi Point. these were by far the best boots with sane straps. The patent should have run out years ago maybe some manufacture will produce them again in the future.

Hope this helps

D

Last edited:

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
I loves me some Gaerne SG-10's! Comfort, protection, durability, adjustability, buckles, simple on/off, no bootie just gel lined inside... everything about them rocks! Try on a pair if you have the chance. Me, Red, and a handful of friends switched to them from Tech 8's and Vectors, we're all happy. :cool:

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
After all the great reviews of the SG-10s out here when I replaced my Supermoto boots I went with Gaerne SM boot based on the SG-10 and I couldn't be happier. Great boot and really slick design.

Attachments

• motostrano_1987_17755410.jpg
    motostrano_1987_17755410.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 220

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
Papakeith said:
Hi All,

I have Wide, damn near boat paddle, feet. narrow boots need not apply.

Pretty funny, PK goes running around in the trees barefoot, it gets all the "Sasquatch" seekers undershorts in a bunch!

The Gaerne looks to be a great boot, but I still prefer the T6. Perhaps you should get the SG-10 and test them out? Kinda like you talked Squeaks into doing with MSVista!

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
Don't you blame vista on me :)
I may have to take a trip up to Razee in the near future to try them on.

Hey, we riding this weekend? :ride: Or do you wanna fly out to plymouth for lunch?
plane.gif

Last edited:

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
Papakeith said:
Don't you blame vista on me :)
I may have to take a trip up to Razee in the near future to try them on.

Hey, we riding this weekend? :ride: Or do you wanna fly out to plymouth for lunch?
plane.gif

What you gonna do, ride with one arm, gimpy?

I'm going to ride the bikes over to the new digs in Cranston, via the power lines (not). Then it's time to pack that trailer like a can of sardines. See you Sunday, bring your directors chair. :nener:

pyrofreak

Apr 9, 2003
There's quite a few reviews of the SG10's over on TT. Mostly Tech 8 vs SG10 threads, but lots and lots of info. I just got some Tech 8's and love 'em. I have wide feet and big calves, so I can't wear my knee/shin cups though. From what I've read the Astars are good for wide feet and medium to big calves, and the Gaernes are good for more narrow feet with big to really big calves (or cows, as some call them). I think my Tech 8s are awesome, and the bootie isn't even an issue to me. They just kind of stay in the boot and I forget about 'em. Try some on and see what you like I guess. I guess you're supposed to get a size bigger then normal for the bootie type boots. I've also read rave reviews on the Tech 7 & 3s. The boot issue is all over Thumpertalk, there's lots of info.

Lorin

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 25, 1999
Another vote for the sg 10's. Before these, I had Sidi's and Alpine star tech 7's. The sg 10's were comfortable from the first moment I tried them on (almost like a tennis shoe), yet still provide solid protection. I am coming up on year 3 on my boots and they are holding up well.

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
Just got a pair of Berik OVS on clearance (high end boot, bottom of the barrel price), tried them on last night and they felt quite comfortable (no apparent need for break in).

MXGirl230

Stupid tires and trees
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 19, 2002
nikki said:
I loves me some Gaerne SG-10's! Comfort, protection, durability, adjustability, buckles, simple on/off, no bootie just gel lined inside... everything about them rocks! Try on a pair if you have the chance. Me, Red, and a handful of friends switched to them from Tech 8's and Vectors, we're all happy. :cool:

Ditto on that for both Phil and myself

Top Bottom