Time for new rings?

TCpapa

Jul 8, 2006
Is there an easy way to know when it's time for new rings on a 2-stroke? When is it too late to replace the rings? Does the engine sound change or is there somethng else to look for?

I have 2 pw50's that the previous owner let go way too long. They both have some piston slap going on. I am having one bored out and a new piton kit put in. The other I'm thinking of just replacing the rings but it may be already too worn. The manual says to replace the rings when they are out of tolerance. My question is how can I tell without tearing the engine apart.

Thanks for any advice.

HajiWasAPunk

Aug 5, 2005
You can get a compression gauge/test or you can by the number of hours the bike's been ridden and check the manual for how many hours they suggest. My son's CR85 get's harder and harder to start (for him anyway) when it gets close to time.

TCpapa

Jul 8, 2006
I did a compression test and it was about 90 to 95. It runs pretty good with our 6 year old on it but I can hear the piston slapping. It will usually start on the first kick. I just don't want to wait so long that it needs major work. Can I just replace the rings or does it need a complete top end?

HajiWasAPunk

Aug 5, 2005
Again I would say check the service manual on the recommend hours between top ends. But if you're going to replace the rings, you should be able to check the piston while you're there and determine if needs to be replaced.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…