GarbatyA4

Sep 4, 2008
Well, Its +10 degrees C here and i've been working on the bike.

She ran fine before, Rebuilt the top end last summer. Ran great. CR250R... It sat for 4 months now in the garage.

She doesn't want to start now. Plugs get wet after a few kicks. I checked the spark and its strong (white,purpleish)

Any Suggestions?

I'm thinking about leaving the spark plug hole open to let the gas evap.? Purchasing a couple new plugs and perhaps compression test it.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Did you drain the float bowl?

Do you have fresh gas in there?

Try that and the new plug, and it should be good.

FWIW, some bikes like to be laid on their side for 5 - 10 seconds before a cold start. Gets fuel into all the circuits of the carb.

When you did the top end, did you inspect the reeds? Worn reeds can make a two stroke nearly impossible to kickstart cold.

GarbatyA4

Sep 4, 2008
dirt bike dave said:
Did you drain the float bowl?

Do you have fresh gas in there?

Try that and the new plug, and it should be good.

FWIW, some bikes like to be laid on their side for 5 - 10 seconds before a cold start. Gets fuel into all the circuits of the carb.

When you did the top end, did you inspect the reeds? Worn reeds can make a two stroke nearly impossible to kickstart cold.

Yes, the reeds were fine when I did the complete engine rebuild, bike ran great all summer. I put the bike away and now it won't start :(

Boyeseen CF reeds fyi

GarbatyA4

Sep 4, 2008
Well, I drained the floatbowl, I'm thinking that the gas is bad. Because Nothing changed.

I tried to brand new plugs BR8EG's. I did a compression test... half ass kicking it on the stand, I got 190psi and the engine is cold. (currently 0deg C in ontario)

So I think I'm going to drain the gas, mix a new batch and clean the carb. That should do it. ANd I'll inspect the reed again.

I honestly think that the bottom end is floooooded because my fuel petcock drips once every couple minutes.

helio lucas

~SPONSOR~
Jun 20, 2007
it could be that the fuel evaporates from the bowl and leave a layer of varnish... it´better to clean the inside of the carb...

GarbatyA4

Sep 4, 2008
You may be right. I will clean it anyways for the starting of the season.

Well, i got her running. the bottom end was flooded.

kicking it wouldn't start it. I bumped it and it ran fine :coocoo:

so anyways. Now she starts first kick. And I took it for a spin down the road. MAN O MAN does a 51tooth rear do wonders.

4th braaap 5th braaaap.... rock wheelies all day long now.

I went from a stock 13 48 setup to a 13 51 Renthal. :nod:

Top Bottom