Time to dump some money into her

1Steve

Aug 13, 2002
I bought a 98 220 a couple of years ago. Other then the airbox mod, a 12 tooth front sprocket and routine maintance I have done nothing to it. I ride the bike hard. A typical ride consist of technical woods, steep hills, dry stream beds and anything elce you can think of. I am at the point where I want more power throughout the range. Often I run out of power on the low end on steep technical hills in second gear and other times I am reving it out wanting more top end. I have spent hours on this site and the just KDX site learning about my KDX and what I can do to it. Loads of info and several guys that know tons about bikes.
This winter I am going to put some money into the bike. Front springs, piston, pipe and possiably RB's carb mod. My queston is, for my riding style, what would be the best pipe to go with the carb mod? I want managable power throughout the range. I do not want a CR250 power feel but more of a 4 stroke power delivery. Most of the stuff that I read says if you want more top end then get a such and such or if you want more bottom end then get such and such but I want both. Is this possiable with this stock bike and about 500$ in parts?

Thanks for the help!!

jamin326

~SPONSOR~
Oct 29, 2002
i have a 99 kdx220, it has the rb carb mod and i have the fmf rev pipe, boysen reeds, opened airbox, and weisco piston, i still have the stock silencer on, i do have a fmf turbine core II but don't care to use it, anyways, my bike has plenty of power all throughout the powerband, the rb carb mod and fmf rev pipe will really wake up your bike giving you more power everywhere, i would not go with the fmf torque pipe simply because in my opinon it does nothing for the 220's it was designed for the 200's, my bike had a torque pipe on it when i got it, the rev pipe definetly woke it up, i can easily pull a wheelie in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd, sometimes 4th. if i was you i'd get the fmf rev pipe keep your stock silencer, i'm lazy and don't like repacking, get the rb carb mod done and get the weisco piston plus some good reeds. if you want a little extra bottom end you could get the fredette torque ring. www.frpoffroad.com

1Steve

Aug 13, 2002
Thanks.
Did you guys have any problems with the fit of the FMF pipe? I have read recently that guys have had problems with the quality, customer service, and fit of the FMF pipe. Any problems like that for you?

Robcolo

Jan 28, 2002
Some FMFs fit great, others don't ??? [Mine fit great]. The rev pipe gave my bike a massive MX hit as soon as the power valve opens. If you're in loose or slippery terrain it can become ugly so I'm planning on adding a flywheel weight to tame this hit a bit. The gnarly woods has a smoother transition into the high revs but not make nearly as much total power. Even after installing Gold Valves, the front end of my 220 continued to wash out at higher speeds [it did wonders though for the harshness & spiking which beats your arms to a pulp] Installing a set of .38 front springs magically cured the washout, BUT, the bike is not nearly as user friendly now in the very slow stuff -rocks,roots & ledges. Take your pick

jamin326

~SPONSOR~
Oct 29, 2002
yup it's spark arrested, sure, it's just collecting dust and i don't plan on putting it back on, you'd probably want to repack it though, throw me an email if you want it, jamin326@hotmail.com, o and i did not have any trouble with the fmf pipe, it fit on pretty good.

Top Bottom