FoxRocks

Apr 9, 2006
Hi everyone,
I am having some problems deciding what to do. Currently I ride a 99 CR125. On the track I find I'm always hunting for the right gear, most of all because I need say 4th to make the jump, but I'm coming out of the turn in 3rd, so by the time I get it into 4th I'm out of steam. I just don't know if my problem is lack of power (so I would have to shift less?) or my lack of skill. I'm always shifting gears it seems way more then anyone else. I also wonder if the answer would be to go to a four stroke to have a more consistant power band. I guess I really just need to know when it's time to up the ride, or if anyone has been in my shoes and can give me some insight.

Thanks everyone.

FOX

oldfrt613

Feeble Sponsoring Member
Jun 29, 2005
Its tough to compete against the 250 thumper with the 125. Riding 125's is all about keeping it in the sweet spot - and the CR has a small sweet spot.

JST122

Dec 29, 2005
You are always going to have a lot more shift points on the track with a 2 stroke compared to a 4 stroke, thats just the nature of the beast. When I ride my KX 250 on the majority of tracks I use 1st through 4th gear and am continually shifting between these gears as necessary to maintain peak power. The tracks with long fast straights Ill get 5th where as on my 450 I ride just about all of the local tracks in 2nd and 3rd gear and will only get 4th on the long straights. The result is a lot less shift points to maintain the speed and power to clear the obstacles. This aspect makes the 450 easier to ride fast. In your case on a 125 the shifting is going to be even more frequent than the 250 2 strokes just becase as oldfrt said above you need to keep the 125 in the upper rev range to maintain effective power on the track. If your goal is to shift less and maintain power and speed then a 4 stroke will do that for you but you have to consider all of the other tradeoffs associated with switching from the 2 stroke to the 4 stroke like, maintenance schedules/costs and weight. In my opinion if you are just riding for fun and not competing you dont need the 4 stroke but if your goal is to be more competitive in the small bore class and turn quicker laps with less shifting you dont have many other options.

Top Bottom