SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
Hi Guys (and Gals),
I've had my XR200R for 3 years, and while it's a great bike, I'm getting too big for it and am ready to move up to a full-size bike. I'm 18, 5'11" and about 160lbs. Also, I'm a university student so I'm on a shoe-string budget. The maximum I can afford is maybe (and I mean a big maybe) over $500 plus whatever I can get for my 200 (probably somewhere around $2500-$3000 CDN). I do a lot of trail riding (I've raced 4 harescrambles and 3 cross-countries to date) and the will PROBABLY be my main choice. BUT a motocross track opened up about half an hour away, and I hope to be able to start riding (and maybe racing) there on my next bike. I also ride sand pits (rarely, about maybe 10 times a year, depending on weather), rooty trails, and plenty of rocks. I've decided I pretty much want to stick with a Honda, and I'm thinking an XR250R, as my 200 and 100 have been great trail bikes. Now here's my dilemma: I haven't found any XR250Rs for sale here in a long time, and as soon as one comes up they sell within days, and as I was driving home today, I saw a 1998 or 1999 CR125 for sale. I don't know the price, condition or even the exact year (it has an aluminum frame, black plastics) but I'm wondering if I should consider it. I've also thought about the KDX200, but I can't find any around here, they're even rarer than XRs. My biggest reservations are the two-stroke thing, I've always ridden four-strokes, and I really like using just pump gas and the not so stringent maintenance of the XRs. Plus, XRs go along ways on a tank of gas, and from what I've seen, two-strokes (especially MXers) can't go too far unless they have big aftermarket ($$$) tanks. So, I guess my question is, should I even consider taking a look at the CR125, or should I just wait to find an XR250R? Thanks guys.

fatty_k

~SPONSOR~
Jul 3, 2001
If you are considering a KDX, I am selling mine. I would stay away from the CR125, but a CR250 would be another good choice. If you really want an XR I would only look at the 400. The 250's are nice, but on big hill climbs you will want a lot more power than the 250 has to offer. Im 18, 5'9" 160lbs and I found the XR400 to be a great bike, but you can really feel the weight. I am still a 2 stroke guy and will be for a long time. As long as you buy a trail 2 stroke (KDX, gas gas, KTM, etc) they work absoulty awesome. It's when people take their MX 2 strokes in the bush, thats when they regret buying a 2 stroke, and move to a 4 stroke. I blame the 4 stroke revolution on the lack of enduro/trail 2 strokes available! Anyways enough of my banter, here is the thread for the KDX Im trying to sell. It really is an awesome trail bike, and I rode it a few days ago (after being on my Gas Gas for 2 years) and I was still impressed by the little KDX. The suspension actually felt better then my GG suspension feels! http://dirtrider.net/forums3/showthread.php?p=791594#post791594

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
Well I think your going to have to make some decision as to what your priority riding is going to be. You say you want to hit the MX track and maybe start racing there so that would eliminate the XR250. I think you'd regret the CR125 if your riding ends up being mainly trails and woods. The KDX with all the usual mods might be a decent do it all type of bike for you. There were 3 or 4 KDX's in the Buy and Sell in BC today when I looked. Here's a link to one that might fit the bill for you. http://www.buysell.com/showad.asp?id=27819386

EDIT - fatty slipped in a reply while I was typing, for the record his looks like a better deal :)

fatty_k

~SPONSOR~
Jul 3, 2001
Mine was also in Buy Sell.com last week and I just renewed and lowered the price from $3500 to $3200 this afternoon. The ad should be up again tomrrow.

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
Damn, that looks like an awesome ride. I'll have to consider it, though I'm not sure because money is very tight for me right now. As for the MX thing, I would only seriously consider racing if I had a motocross bike, otherwise it would be the odd trip to the track to play around, in which case I think the XR250R would be fine. Right now I've ridden my XR200R on the track, but I don't like to often, because I'm afraid I'll break the bike.

KX02

Jan 19, 2004
If there was a new MX track opening near you, it would be a darn shame not to hit it. And you definitely don't want to try it on a xr250. CR 125's don't have a real good rep and would be very different than your xr. Because of the fact that there is going to be a track near you, I would definitely go with a mx'er. I would not limit myself to Honda, especially when it comes to 125's. If you have friends who ride, try their bikes and see how you like them.

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
KX02, thanks for your thoughts. I'm still kinda leary about getting a mxer because I still like trail riding and racing (PNWMA Offroad Series, Kelowna Scrambles Series), but I may start racing motocross. I know what my perfect bike would be (CRF250X or R), but right now I can't afford one of them, so I gotta look into plan B. Thanks for your opinions guys.

fatty_k

~SPONSOR~
Jul 3, 2001
The headlight was removed, and a black KX125 number plate installed by the previous owner of the bike. It still has all the elecrtrical wiring for a headlight though.

Top Bottom