KC10Chief

Oct 10, 2004
I've been riding for several months now doing woods riding and harescrambles on my KX250. I have some Thor Quadrant boots that I paid around $129 for from a local shop. The boots are pretty bulky, heavy, uncomfortable and the soles are getting torn up pretty badly. I am considering the SG-10, Tech 8's and Tech 10's. Based on what I've read here, I'm leaning towards the SG-10's. Does anybody have any other suggestions? If I bought the SG-10's for example, do you think I'd notice a big difference between them and my current Thor boots? Matt

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
The three boots you mention are all good boots. The best advice I can give is to go to a local shop and try them all on for 10 minutes or so. All else being equal, the "best" boots will be the ones that feel best to you.

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
My tech 8's have held up as expected, i can think of a few times where they have possibly saved an ankle.. Like said before, go too a local shop and wear each model for awhile and see what feels good too you..
RIck

kelsorat

Knucklehead Newbie
Nov 5, 2001
I was also in the market for new boots recently. Here is what I found. SG10's are too narrow for my D width feet. Oxtar's bulky and the straps were a definite point of failure (plastic--not the strap itself, but the buckle).
Tech 10's well let's see. I am and will continue to wear my old T8's, it's just a damn good boot, comfy for all day wearing, walking the pits, riding, protection. So I thought the T10 would just be a big improvment. I was wrong. See for yourself, I think Alpinestars missed the mark on the T10's.

My final choice after lots of shopping and consideration was the SIDI SRS. It's a low profile boot, lots of protection, very thick sole, and they were as comfortable as my T8's, but much lighter.

moto2121

Mar 2, 2004
I love my Fox Forma Pros, they are very comfy and cheaper then the other boots. I agree though the best thing to do is to try on a bunch of boots at your local shop and see what works for you and fits your price range.

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
Me and my dude currently wear Tech 8's, but our next boots will be SG10's after being disappointed with the life of our Tech 8's.

sspmxc400

Aug 30, 2001
I put a vote in on the fox forma pro - recent write up in dirt rider was very good also. I tried on all the ones mentioned above in 1 sitting - probably 8 or 9 different brands/models. I was going with the best boot (for me) regardless of price. I walked out with the fox for $240 - and haven't looked back.

Akira

Aug 29, 2003
I have heard that the Oxstar brand is really nice. Everyone that I know that has them, has gave back positive info on them. The only problem that I have with them is that they are around $350 retail. :yikes:

Wraith

Do the impossible its fun
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 16, 2000
KC10Chief, I have been wearing the Sidi SRS for 3 years and just picked up some Gaerne SG10 today. The shop I use had had all 3 boots you mentioned, and I myself had no intentions of buying the Tech 10s, but tried them on and was not impressed for the price they carried. I'm sure they do a good job, but the feel reminded me of that of the Alpinestar Vector (which is a good boot for a much lower price than the Tech 10).
I love a hinged boot, that is why I bought my Sidi 3 years ago. But I had trouble with the screws and washers (in the calf adjustment) getting ripped out when it cought on the bike, or just coming out on there own. But Motonation has Great customer support if you go the Sidi route. I have nothing really bad to say really about Sidi, I had some boots that lasted 3 years and I still should be wearing them. It was a toss up between the Sidi and Gearne. But when it came down to it, I've never owned a pair of Gaerne before.
The Gaerne has nice rubber on the inside calves that seem to grip the bike (when new), but only time will tell how the rubber will hold up to abuse from the frame and plastic.
In my opinion a hinged boot is the only way to ride, it just makes your foot feel more secure. All 3 of those boots you mentioned are good boots, but you better go try some on.

bikepilot

Nov 12, 2004
Had a pair of Fox Foruma's from 98 or so, they held up quite well and have a very nice stiff sole. I now have a pair of Aplinestars T-8's, have had them for the last 5 years or so (have not ridden much in the last 3) but they seem to be holding up quite well. They are very comfy, a moderate upgrade from the foxes. You will definatly notice a huge difff from your economy boots. Also make sure to look at the Sidi's, they make a top quality product. I didnt like their older boots personaly because they simply didnt offer the protection of the T8 or Fox, but their newer style boots with the hinge (TA Flex i suppose) seem quite sturdy and quality has always been top notch.

good luck, and whatever you get it will be a big improvement.

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
I've worn Tech 8's and Fox Formas, and just ordered up some SG10's today. Can't wait to try them out!! :cool:

Toothmech

Oct 21, 2004
Well, I gotta chime in here for those out there with big, wide feet like me (14) , I found the Oneal Hardware boots to be very nice. They are very comfortable, have tons of support an have all the features that the top of the line boots have (aluminum buckles, etc). The soles are holding up great so far. And the price is pretty decent too. i picked mine up on closeout this last year for $174. Check them out.

snb73

Nov 30, 2003
I have to agree with Toothmech. I have a size 12 EEE foot, Oneal Hardware was the only boot that felt comfortable. I ordered size 13, they fit fine.

I have the old Hardware boots, without the bootie. I just wear thick socks.

Steve

crrider999

Feb 15, 2004
i have a pair of tech 8s and i have one outdoor season on them and they are trashed i was very disapointed with how quickly they wore out but they are extremely comfortable and do offer good protection i opted for the sidi srs for my new boots there in the mail havent seen them yet it was a tough call between them and the sg10s

craig0402run

Nov 3, 2004
Having read all your comments I've purchased so Gaerne SG10's and am very pleased with them. They initially felt a little tight against my bigs toes - narrow in the forefoot . My dealer was happy for me to take them & wear for a few hours (indoors only) & they soon bedded in and are now like slippers.

What to you pay for boots - these cost me £200.00 that's $383 (us).

Is that expensive ????

mnnthbx

Apr 1, 2003
Oxtar's bulky and the straps were a definite point of failure (plastic--not the strap itself, but the buckle).

You most have looked at the comps. The Oxtar Pro's have aluminum buckles. These are great boots. I've been in a pair for a few months, and they still look new. A friend bought SG-10's the same week I bought my Oxtars. They are priced the same, have held up the same, and are similarly comfy. They do have a slightly differant fit however. The Oxtar is slightly more narrow. Both are top quality. Choose either and you'll be very pleased you didn't go with the mainstream A star.

Top Bottom