suzuk!_ch!k

Feb 28, 2007
i have a 1979 suzuki RM80. i wanna start jumping with it..but am afraid i will biff it bad. ;) so i was wondering how fast i should be going to go off of jumps and when i come to a jump..do i accelerate or just coast over?..should i pull up on the bars a bit?....wat if i go off of a jump and nosedive or fly off backwards lol...if anyone could give me some pointers thatd be aweosme :)

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
You should be going fast enough to clear the jump. Sorry, there is not answer to that one. As a beginner, you should get up to speed as early as possible, and hold a steady throttle up the face. You will find that running in a higher gear will result in a more fluid flight pattern (example: a better rider than I will told me that he clears a jump in 2nd gear, but at my skill level, I would land very nose high if I tried it, instead, I would attempt it in 3rd and slip the clutch a bit more). Pulling up on the bars does nothing for you, so don't bother. If your nose drops, rev up with the clutch out, if you are nose high, you can bring in the clutch and tap the rear brake. All of these thing have been covered before, so a search will net you a lot more information. Enjoy the flight.

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
Just find a small single and work on that, one that wont put you more than a foot or so in the air. Just develop a feel for what works. Generally smooth throttle helps. If you find the jump drops your front wheel, roll on the throttle a little more while you're on the face of the jump. If you're front wheel aims for the sky, you're on the throttle too much. Some jumps have bad faces and will kick the back tire up, avoid these. Once you're comfortable with how the bike leaves the face of the jump, move up to something bigger. Just realize that the suspension on that 79 RM80 is not going to be very forgiving if you make a mistake.

toby42

Feb 28, 2007
suzuk!_ch!k said:
i have a 1979 suzuki RM80. i wanna start jumping with it..but am afraid i will biff it bad.

I recommend you go out and crash. Just go do it. Get it out of the way so you can move on! Don't be afraid to crash - it will be the biggest thing to hold you back. My dad used to say, 'you ain't having fun unless you crash at least once!' Fact is, you will crash eventually... you need to overcome that fear first. But then, yeah, just start on small jumps - tabletops or step-ups preferably - and I'd recommend doing it in at least 2nd gear so you can get used to the way it acts. And body positioning is everything! If you are hitting a jump mid-throttle, you should be mid-bike. Best technique is to be on the throttle all the way up - smooth - with your body forward to where you should be able to look right down your number plate. But you have to be on the gas to do that or you will endo. But just start small w/ what you're comfortable with. And do it over and over and over... pushing it a little farther each time.

trial_07

Play with gravity
~SPONSOR~
Apr 26, 2004
toby42 said:
And do it over and over and over... pushing it a little farther each time.

Until you crash! :whoa:

adz-kx

Mar 12, 2007
trial_07 said:
Until you crash! :whoa:

yep exactly, in a nut shell what hes trying to say is....(not being rude mate) all the time your going for the jump the main thing going through your mind will be am i gunna mess this up, but if you crash you have crashed once... ... and your not as scared the next time you attempt

good luck :boss:

just_a_rider

Jul 25, 2006
Steady throttle all the way, smaller shorter jumps you may have to give a little punch at the base of the jump to keep the front from diving to much. Panic throttle and braking to adjust your flight is something that doesn't come easy at all, first you've got to get use to being in the air without becoming a frozen statue, and I'm sure every one here remebers when they first started jumping, you leave the jump and freeze, you feel the bike diving to sharp but your froze, you can't move a muscle :yikes: . What helps is something to keep you from spacing out, I like to use two way MoTorola radios you being aquiped with the ear piece and voice activated mic. When aproaching the jump have a friend just start talking your ears off, preverably something funny or perverted, it keeps you from becoming froze because your thinking of something other than your demise :ohmy: It's also a good thing for the track, having a spotter leting you know whats coming up on you especialy if your a slow rider and there is a pack of rockets comin after ya. :)

trial_07

Play with gravity
~SPONSOR~
Apr 26, 2004
Hmm...I don't agree.

I remember last year when I was jumping, trying to clear a 50 feet tabletop, each time farther and farther. After a few shots I said, "I'm going for it!" I put the bike in 3rd gear, slipped the clutch, and twisted the throttle. Unfortunately, I knew I was going to crash when I was in mid-air because my rear wheel was way over to the right. So I crashed and hurt myself pretty bad: Broken elbow, stretched muscle in the shoulder, bruised hip and knee, and a minor concussion. Let me tell you I was damn scared to jump afterwards, this crash taught me a lesson.

trial_07

Play with gravity
~SPONSOR~
Apr 26, 2004
just_a_rider said:
Steady throttle all the way, smaller shorter jumps you may have to give a little punch at the base of the jump to keep the front from diving to much. Panic throttle and braking to adjust your flight is something that doesn't come easy at all, first you've got to get use to being in the air without becoming a frozen statue, and I'm sure every one here remebers when they first started jumping, you leave the jump and freeze, you feel the bike diving to sharp but your froze, you can't move a muscle :yikes: . What helps is something to keep you from spacing out, I like to use two way MoTorola radios you being aquiped with the ear piece and voice activated mic. When aproaching the jump have a friend just start talking your ears off, preverably something funny or perverted, it keeps you from becoming froze because your thinking of something other than your demise :ohmy: It's also a good thing for the track, having a spotter leting you know whats coming up on you especialy if your a slow rider and there is a pack of rockets comin after ya. :)

The crash I just described was the result of me freezing in the air. The amount of air I got just surprised me and it sucks so much knowing you're going to crash, but can't do anything about it. I like your idea of a friend yelling stupidities in the radio, I can portrait well one of friends being real good at it. :cool:

just_a_rider

Jul 25, 2006
Try it, it will help, well at least it did for me. they can also coach you saying, your fronts dropping give it some throttle and it makes all the dif in the world, you can't seem to get yourself to do it but having someone tell you while your in the act you do it. :coocoo:

David Rocci

Apr 6, 2007
I have a story very similar to trail_07. Last year was my first year out. I took to it pretty quick doing little jumps (4-5' in the air) and running pretty hard around this track. I quickly moved up the ranks with my small group of beginners.

There is a tabletop about 50-60 feet long with a rolling face (not a tipped peak that whips you straight up) so it was a smooth entry into the sky. I got going faster and faster but could not clear the damn thing.

Finally, someone suggested switching into 3rd and adjusting my body position a little bit. After about 15 tries I finally cleared the jump. Now, I'm cocky as hell...

The next time around the rear end got cocked just a little bit to the side - I didnt gas it or anything when I landed and bike pancaked me into the ground. I couldn't walk for about 4 weeks and had residual ankle pain for another 4-5 weeks.

That crash changed the way I ride. They say it's better to be afraid of the bike and to never get too comfortable but it's HARD to learn how to act in the air...

I may try to hire a coach this year! :)

David Rocci

Apr 1, 2007
becuase shes gonna hit smaller jumps ill advise on that, i was hitting a small jump just the other day its like this grass hill really and the grass was wet its a fairly small just (im about two feet in the air and go about 8 feet) but still kinda fun and while goin up the ramp i felt the back end sliding out so i just killed the throttle (let almost right off of it) the bike went up in the air and i landed it safely my point alot problems that happen in the air start on the ground

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
pyromainiac420 said:
becuase shes gonna hit smaller jumps ill advise on that, i was hitting a small jump just the other day its like this grass hill really and the grass was wet its a fairly small just (im about two feet in the air and go about 8 feet) but still kinda fun and while goin up the ramp i felt the back end sliding out so i just killed the throttle (let almost right off of it) the bike went up in the air and i landed it safely my point alot problems that happen in the air start on the ground
WHAT???????????? I have absolutely no idea what you are tryng to sya.

just_a_rider

Jul 25, 2006
Lucky it was small, on a bigger jump dumping the throttle right before you leave is going to cause the front to dive with no power to keep the front end up. You got to squeeze the bike good with your legs going off a jump, this will help with controlling those side kicks that you are going to get on a track with a few laps on it unless you can pick a line that has no ruts off the peak. If the back does kick around abruptly you can counter the action by quickly turning the front in the same direction that the back is heading, this will straiten it out.

mex_ros

Aug 2, 2006
Keep it small at first. Steady gas always and grab the bike with your legs tightly when you are in the air.
You must be smooth! Try to relax your body when you are on air. Repetition puts fear away...
You can also use a camera to record the jumps you do and correct the mistakes by watching...
And also important: always wear the protective gear,this makes your mind not to think that you are gonna get heart if crashing.

David Rocci

Apr 6, 2007
I've read a lot of tips in here so far and I'm curious about a technique I noticed at the track. I saw a lot of guys kick one foot off the pegs when in the air. Is that a distraction from the "mid-air freezing" or does the side kick have another function?

Thanks,

David Rocci
Chicago 'burbs
2003 Suzuki RM250

David Rocci

Apr 6, 2007
Also, someone mentioned about video-taping yourself and correcting your mistakes after seeing them on the screen. Are there any decent instructional videos available?

It seems that the knack for riding would mostly be a natural thing but I think with a little experience, a little coaching and a lot of balls you can get better. The problem I have with my riding group is that everyone is in the same skill level so we don't know how to help each other!

Thanks,
David Rocci
Chicago 'burbs
2003 Suzuki RM250

Hawk45

Feb 21, 2003
Be careful on the small jumps also.. don't let them full you .. especially at speed. When I started we built a small track with some 2-3 ft jumps in my buddies horse field. After getting comfortable on the jumps we started flying around the track. I was chasing my friend when I came up on the smallest jump.. I was in third and my front wheel came up over the jump and my back wheel took all the pressure of the jump kicking me over the handlebars. I ended up having a concussion (crushed helmet), a peg in the thigh, rash from the rear wheel and a red face and bruised ego. Plus I lost the race... bah!

So be careful either way... big or small.

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
David Rocci said:
I've read a lot of tips in here so far and I'm curious about a technique I noticed at the track. I saw a lot of guys kick one foot off the pegs when in the air. Is that a distraction from the "mid-air freezing" or does the side kick have another function?
Some people will take their right foot off and move it back out of the way to make sure they don't inadvertently hit the rear brake while in the air.

Taking your foot off in the air also allows the bike to come up to you more and you can then reposition your foot on the peg. If you just leave it on the peg in the air it is difficult to "feel" the peg in the air and be sure you have your feet placed properly for landing.

Many people also just do it for show because they've seen the fast guys do it. :whoa:

Top Bottom