tire change, tube pinch?

goc305

Nov 2, 2002
has anyone out there developed a technique to change tires without pinching and ruining the tubes? if so, please help. I am on my third tube!!! thanks..

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
As SrKX said, partially inflating the tube seems to be the most effective. You just want enough air to make the tube shape itself nice and round, it'll pull itself away from the edge of the rim. Also don't take huge bites with your tire irons, careful not to let them slip way down inside. Some tire irons seem to be pretty sharp on the ends. I like the spoons, you can also put a bit of a groove on your irons so they don't tend to go too far.

If you find yourself having to put too much force on the irons, you are either taking too big of bites or you probably don't have the bead of the tire down inside of the rim on the opposite side.

jboomer

~SPONSOR~
Jan 5, 2002
I just put on a new Maxis IT last week. Ended up pinching the tube 4 times. Turns out I was using a little too much air. I had to nearly completely deflate it in order to get the tire on without pinching it. These tires have EXTREMELY stiff sidewalls and for some reason, kept pulling the tube over the edge of the rim.

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
Those maxis are stiff, I rode most of the day on a flat before I even realized it. I haven't pinched a tube yet putting one on but I did get rid of one of the rim locks before putting #2 on :)

jboomer

~SPONSOR~
Jan 5, 2002
Thats funny. It took my wife standing on the wheel and me using my entire body weight to get the very last part of the bead over the rim....then the magical sound just as it slipped into place "pfffffff". Oh what a day.

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
jboomer, make sure those Maxis are nice and warm before you start. I'll be doing one in the next week and plan on setting it in front of my torpedo heater for about 10 minutes before I start. A c-clamp on the opposite side to help keep the bead on the very inner part of the rim helps to. I don't use a c-clamp on other tires.

Also, I've seen a lot of people lube the oustide portion of the bead on both sides. The lube needs to be on the inside part of the bead for the 2nd bead you are putting over the rim. I've found a rubber mallet works nicely for persuading that last 3-4 inches over the rim to work fairly well also.
Aim the rubber mallet so you are whacking it away from the center of the rim (if that makes sense) and hit it as close to the edge as you can.

Last edited:

jboomer

~SPONSOR~
Jan 5, 2002
Yeah, thanks for the tips. I took the new tire and layed it over a heater vent than a blanket over the top...it softened it up some, sure coulda been better though! I'll give the other ideas a try next time!

RAH RAH

Aug 30, 2003
I hope that everyone is trying to hold the bead down into the middle of the rim. you know its a smaller diameter there so it makes the last few pulls a little easier.
I just use enough air to let the tube take shape so their will be no wrinkles in it.
the red handle tire spoons give me a good feel. You can take big bites at first but small bites are what you need close to the end.
If you have to get a third tire iron to hold the bead down in the middle of the rim.
Once im done if the bead isnt set I deflade the tire then spray wd40 or soapy water around the rim then add some air til its seated. it doesnt mind some encouragement from a tire iron sometimes either.
Having to do it sucks if its cold seek some heat.

Dirtman500

Jan 8, 2004
A tire tool is a tire tool! A screwdriver is not an option...
A decent tire tool will run you about $9.00 at a bike shop. Purchase 2 tire tools. Save your old tire and use it to keep you brake disc/sprocket from getting damaged. Lay rim on top of old tire and use plenty of soap on tire bead. Keep a rag handy to keep your hands dry while installing new tire on rim. Take your time using small bites on tire while installing. Pratice! Each tire change will get easier. Here is a good link to tire replacement tips.
http://www.dansmc.com/tires1.htm

billtx

~SPONSOR~
Dec 22, 2002
I worked in a bike shop in the 70's. The owner taught me to change tires..I'm still decent at it.

1. Use tire tools..
2. always start (taking off the tire) and finish (putting on the tire) at the valve stem.
3. once you have one side of the tire mounted, insert the tube and inflate it so it takes the shape of the inside of the tire. Use baby powder as described in the other posts.
4. Let the air back out of the tube. always use a valve stem removal tool to let the air out of the tire, don't press in on the stem.
5. Start opposite the valve stem with tire tools and work your way around ending at the valve stem. Take small bites..have a warm tire..don't put the tire tools to far in, just enough to get a bite on the rim..use your hands whenever possible (front tires!)

Good Luck!!!

Look in the mags or their web sites for a complete procedure. Also, motion-pro makes a coll little tool that prevents the bead from popping up as you work your way around.

joereitman

Jul 2, 2003
My local car repair and tire shop changes motorcycle tires for $10. Yes I know I am a slacker. But I have changed my share of tires over the years until I found this shop to do it. It is just SO MUCH EASIER this way. :) Call around. I'll bet at least one tire place near you can do it. Please don't flame me for posting this. :)

Danman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 7, 2000
I saw these cool little plastic do-dads that you clip on the rim as you go around and they keep the bead on like a tire buddy only its ten bucks less and they are lighter in the tool box. The bad thing is I can't remember were I saw them at :( Anyone know?

On the maxxis, they are super stiff! I had to put some lube on the bead and crank the pressure way up like 60 psi before they bead would seat right :)

A heat gun for a while works wonders on the tire for heat.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
My favorite method for heating up a new tire is to put it under the hood of car or truck (engine hot but turned off, of course) for 1/2 hour or so.  It works great.  A tire has a lot of mass, so it's going to take a while to get it thorougly warm.  While the new tire is baking, you can leisurely pull your wheel and old tire off.

darringer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 2, 2001
Danman, I think I saw them on Ebay. Never tried them though. I use several 3/8 drive sockets, sized around 1/2 to 5/8, pushed between the tire bead and the rim on the opposite side that I'm working on, to keep the bead in the smaller, center of the rim to make it easier to get the final few inches of tire over the rim.
Senior KX, if I tried to put my tire in the dryer to warm it up, and my wife saw it, I might as well climb in there with it!

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
I also put the tube in the tire and thread the nut on the valve stem before starting. Mr. 6 days himself showed a bunch of us that trick at DW a few years ago. Sure is easier and saves a step later.

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
One of the last few issues of Dirtrider had a good section on tire changing. Not sure what month but it was one of the last few. Better yet, call Farmer John and tell him you heard he can change a tire in minutes and tell him to prove it. This will work for at least one of your tire changes.;)

Dragmeistr

Sponsoring Member
Oct 14, 2002
If Im not mistaken, I saw those little plastic clips or bead buddies or whatever you want to call them in the last issue of RacerX.

joereitman

Jul 2, 2003
Originally posted by a454elk
Better yet, call Farmer John and tell him you heard he can change a tire in minutes and tell him to prove it. This will work for at least one of your tire changes.;)

:) :) :)

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…