CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
I'm a good mechanic. I'm usually very happy with my work. But today I had a bad case of the stupids or something.

I woke up early to get the final touches of reassembly done on my KX. The only thing left to do after a complete winter disassembly were mounting new tires and changing the bearings in the Uni-Trac link. Everything else is on the bike.

So I figure I'll do the tires first because they're easy. Old tires off, clean the rim, check for any maintainence issues (found a broken spoke in the rear wheel so I replaced it), new tires mounted. I fill up the front tire with air...huge air leak...crap. Second tire, I filled it with air and started bouncing it to set the bead...what's that noise...AIR!!!

Of course I didn't have spare tubes (I hate patches) so off to the store. $20 dollars later I'm back in the basement changing tubes. Get them done, fill the front with air...ppssssssttttttt.

What the....

Luckily the rear held its air just fine.

I removed the front tire to see if there was anything that might cause a puncture...nothing. Nothing but poor workmanship.

Well I'm off to RRP to get a new, new front tube. Hopefully I'll get the idiots discount. Think I'll install this new tube tomorrow. The Uni-Trac bearings? No way am I going to do those today. Sunday will be a much better day!

joereitman

Jul 2, 2003
Stories like this are the reason I gave up tire changing. Now I take it to the local auto tire shop that does bike tires on the side. Yes I am lame, but I would just rather pay the $10... :)

scooter1130

Paragon Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 31, 2002
I hope they got more of the heavy duty tubes in for ya. I think I bought the last pair they had last week when i got new tires. I fortunately had a little better luck and was able to get the tires on without pinching the tube. I was impressed with myself by that :laugh:

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
Yep, local shop, $10, hehehe, my favorite way to change tires. :)
Although, Eddie did some nice work with that Maxxis in Lou's garage before Reno......hmmmmmmm :p

hoosierf

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 6, 2001
I don't want to insult you, but I really inflate the tubes a lot before I mount the tire. It really reduces the possbility of pinching.

scooter1130

Paragon Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 31, 2002
Rooster said:
Yep, local shop, $10, hehehe, my favorite way to change tires. :)

I agree, but when I picked up the tires last week, there was nobody there to mount the tires because of a trade show down in Florida. So I told butch if I felt ambitious, i would mount the tires, otherwise I would be back in a few days to have them put on.

T 07

Troll
Mar 23, 2002
hoosierf said:
I don't want to insult you, but I really inflate the tubes a lot before I mount the tire. It really reduces the possbility of pinching.

Agree, hardly anyone does this though.

Used to hate mini tyres but he 19/20/21 inchers are easy......
Never had a problem with patches either, used them for years

CaptainObvious

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
Sunday was a better day. Installed the tube and no air leaks. Got the bike back together and life was good again.

Any want to buy some slightly damaged tubes?

scooter1130

Paragon Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 31, 2002
Thanks, but they are easy enough to make myself.....I've got a few laying around here somewhere

TheGrinch

Nov 26, 2000
The problem with doing the changes yourself, is the learning curve and the wasted tubes & $ that go with it.

The last tyre change (and only the second I have ever done) took me two hours! I didn't break the bead before attempting to remove the tyre with the irons (call it as lack of experience). But at least I didn't punture the new tube, and I still managed to squeeze in a couple of hours riding afterwards.

I should be able to do it in half the time next time :)

wardd

Aug 17, 2000
Had a similar, although not as extreme experience yesterday.
Installed new tires/tubes/rimlocks, etc.. into new second set of race wheels just received. As careful as I was, put a nice scratch in the rim(why did I just not stay with the silver rims????). Had the tires inside for 2 days so they'd be nice and warm for install too.

Front was easy. Done in 15 - 20 min.

Back - spent about 30 min swearing and chewing up the top of my hands while trying to get the valve stem threaded through that darn hole! The rest took about 5 min. Fortunately, no pinched tubes(although I'll have to try the putting a little air in before technique), just pinched fingers.

I've not found a local place to do the install for less than $15 labor. I'm guessing the $10 you are all paying does not include the tube.

David.

KiwiBird

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 30, 2000
If you have Honda which has the large, grommet covered valve hole (or a 1/2" drill bit to enlarge the hole) you can use this tool CLICK HERE to fish the valve through and save all that skin on your knuckles.

CaptainObvious

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
I use a stubby phillips screw driver to locate the hole, and then puch the screw drive back out with the valve. I find the rear much easier to do then the front because there is more room.

wardd said:
I'm guessing the $10 you are all paying does not include the tube.

No, doesn't include the tube, but if they pinch it, it's their problem. I prefer doing my own tire changes because (1) I'm cheep, (2) I enjoy doing my own work, and (3) I'm cheep.

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
T 07 said:
Agree, hardly anyone does this though.

Used to hate mini tyres but he 19/20/21 inchers are easy......
Never had a problem with patches either, used them for years

Dittto! also lot of baby powder!

Top Bottom