AJean

Nov 12, 2004
Hi guys,
We are in january and winter seems to be soo long! I can't wait to go ride my kdx again, and I decided to begin to choose wich tire I will buy for my next motorcycle season. I will need your help to choose my new tire. I ride a lot in woods and in hard sand trails, but some trails have muddy passages and I climb a lot of hills in clay and I'm tired of getting my tire full. What I need is a tire that works well in the mud, but also last long in sand and hard terrain. Anyone of you tried the maxxis c6001? or bridgestone m202? Metzeller mc4? Or do you have other tires to propose me?

The other thing is that I'd like to have a 110/100-18 size instead of the original 100/100-18, but do I need to do any modification if I want it to fit? would it fit on the originl rim or I need to get a larger one?

Thanks for your answers.

AJean

Nov 12, 2004
ok, but do you think the S12 will last one complete summer? I'm sure it will work well in mud, but does it wear fast on hard terrain?

MUDMAX

Jan 7, 2003
S12 didn't last a full season for me, but traction is awesome everywhere !!! I'm now with M12 and seems better after a very short 2004 season. Hope it will last for the next one !! BTW 110/100 fits perfect.

Rhodester

May 17, 2003
I'm using a Maxxis C6001 and it's a 120. It fits great and the bike can pull it easily. I'm very happy with the traction and handling characteristics. Most people say that it wears like iron, but so far mine seems to be no better than the Dunlop it replaced. My stock Dunlop 100/100-18 was sized right between the 110/100 and 120/100 Maxxis (side by side comparison).

buffmaster

Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 11, 2001
I'm not sure if this is just me and my set-up, but maybe someone else noticed this. I went from a 120 Dunlop 756 to a 120 S-12 and the S-12 was noticeably more narrow than the 756. I should've went w/the 130 for the 19" rim.

bcVulcan

Nov 13, 2002
I'm sold on the 130 S-12. I just tried the Kenda Southwick and I'm going back to the S-12. I'm never going back. Best hook up I've ever had.

Zerotact

~SPONSOR~
Dec 10, 2002
In may area many people swear buy an s-12 rear, and some swear by a 756 front. The front didn't make a great deal off diffrence, but the rear hooks up well. I ran a whole season of harescrambles on it, and the rear still had a square edge. Untill, I took it down to chadwick and rode it on rocks. It still hooks up well just doesn't look new. The s-12 is a real soft compund, the Kenda Millville and southwick may be more suited for rock terain.

1tontj

Mar 19, 2004
I recommend the S12 front and rear. I have about 1000 miles on mine and they still work great.

Rear hooks up great in mud and sand, and the front steers awesome especially in the sand with very little washing out.

Oh, and yes - go with the 130.

Phil

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
I've tried many different tires, most of the tire manufacturers make great tires. I found the traction of the S12's great, but the handling was...well...spooky. I settled on the Maxxis IT for all of my bikes. They wear great, provide reliable traction and handling, and you simply can not beat the pricing.

skierjet

Dec 23, 2003
Carlsbad's

I've been running (and wearing out) Dunlop 756's for sometime. They are awesome when new, but they wear fast and don't hook up well when worn. The Kenda Carlsbad can spin in the Intermediate or Hard Terrain direction, and lasts twice as long as the Dunlops. It hooks up awesome and spits out mud with ease. Wide enough lugs to chug in sand too. It looks cool and is also price nice at about $40. Try Throttlehead.com.

AJean

Nov 12, 2004
I could get a Michelin s12 for 100$ CAN(app. $80U.S.). and a Maxxis c-6001 for 60$ CAN(app. $50U.S.).Both have 20% off the regular price, and they aren't expensive. I think I will buy the s12 now and at the end of the season if I need to change, I'll buy a c-6001.

Mac

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 17, 2000
The S12 is a great mud tire and lasts pretty long too. I think it has to do with the "cupped" knobs, you'll see what I mean when you get yours.

Just remember, dunlop 110/100 = Michelin 130/80

The dunlop D755 is a great mud tire for the front if you can find one.

est142

Dec 30, 2003
my rear is a michelin m12. i ride soft sand pit,hardpack woods trails with mud holes and rocky sharp ledge trails. i would give the tire a 9. it wears very well, and climbs like you would not believe. the only weak spot is smooth slippery surfaces...like crossing wet board bridges covered with leaves. i spilled once doing that. i think it is because the tread blocks are very large. it is uni-directional, so reversing it is out. the tire is good enough that i would not even consider trying a different type rear.it is going into its third season and is still very healthy looking.
front is(was) a pirelli mt 44. chunks badly on rocky ledge trail riding. sand performance is above average.overall i would give it a 7. you will definately only get one season out of it. it is a little scary on trails made up of small round crushed stone. did not like this tire. i just put on a irc ve35 enduro front. no runs on it yet.

outrgus

Jan 15, 2003
go with the kenda, they wear very well and have very good traction in all conditions. And as was also said the price is very good. paid $52.00 cdn for the last one i bought.

KDXFreestyle

Damn Yankees
Nov 19, 2002
Go with a dunlop 756 or a 773. Dunlops seem to last the longest, and have awesome traction. Either one you choose will last you a long time in any riding conditions. :worship:

Powerlock25

Jan 21, 2005
Maxxis

Get some Maxxis tires off of Rocky Mountain ATV. Superfast shipping!!! oh my goodness!! I love that place.

ANyways - TIRES

I went with the stock size front 80/100x21 Maxxis SurCross
its a soft terrain tire and bites nicely in sand, loam, dirt. Havent tried rocks yet.

Iron for the Rear 110/100x18 Maxxis IT fantastic all around tire.

The best part is that the tires together were Around $90 shipped ( i think) RM ATV/MC has many others to chose from but Maxxis seem to be the best bang for the buck

Top Bottom