motorider200

Nov 11, 2002
Powerlock25 said:
I went with the stock size front 80/100x21 Maxxis SurCross
its a soft terrain tire and bites nicely in sand, loam, dirt. Havent tried rocks yet.

Iron for the Rear 110/100x18 Maxxis IT fantastic all around tire.

I'm running that same combo also and absolutly love it.

Quailchaser

Jan 30, 2004
Ran the Maxxis IT 100/100-18 and was wholly unimpressed. Lots of rocks, sand and cactus (rarely a root though) here in AZ. The rear was scatey for the first 3 rides and was worn out by the 7 ride. Plus it weighs a ton.

I ran the Maxxis SI in the front and really liked it. Works great in the sand as well as on the rocks. Held up ok...after all it is a soft terrain tire. I liked it enough to put another one on.

Currently I'm running the Maxxis SI up front and a 110/100-18 Metzler MC6 tire in the rear. After 3 rides on the MC6, I like it. Works great in the rocks as well as the sand. It's wearing much better than the Maxxis and the Dunlops I've tried.

Next time I think I'll try the Metzler MC4 up front and the Kenda Carlsbad on the rear. Although, you guys and your Michelin talk have got me curious. May have to run a s12/m12 combo and see what happens.

Not sure if this helped anyone, but I was able to kill another 15 minutes. Only 12 minutes more until the DAKAR on OLN.

Later
Robb

kingsxjt

Dec 7, 2003
I've got about 75mi. on a Maxxis IT 110/100-18 Rear and love it. It is wearing great too. I just installed an IT front (stock size) but have yet to ride it. The Maxxis are cost effective from RockyMtn. but there shipping is a little slow for me in TN.

Mac

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 17, 2000
Braahp said:
All you guys get some amazing wear out of your tires. No matter what the brand I go through about 4 rear tires a year.

Too much wheelspin?? Try a FWW lol.

yater

Nov 7, 2003
I'll be lucky to get 250-300 miles outta my rear s12. I run a 773 up front--best front tire I've ever had. The s12 hooks up great, it just doesn't last very long

ek415

Jan 22, 2002
Kenda K760 ????

Has anyone tried the Kenda K760 Trackmaster on the Rear???? I have one on my DRZ400 and it works nice everywhere, including pavement!! :aj:
Was curious if anyone has used one on the KDX? They're way cheap for sure. :cool:

Teodorop2

Mar 2, 2005
I have the Metzeller mc4 in 110/90 19. I ride sand and mud 90% of the time and the other 10% on hard packed gravel. This tire works great 4 me and hasn't been eaten up too bad for the amount of time that I put on it.

04kdx200

Mar 30, 2005
I run a dunlop 773 front and rear, medium wear. As for the mud clogging up the tires........... try a little more speed when you have room, the wheelspin is o.k., but a little more speed after a bout with mud clears mine out wonderfully. I had to try it to belive it.

kiktenminits

Mar 28, 2002
tire selection

Best tire in my opinion for offroad is a Pirelli MT 16 awesome wear characteristics even on street sections has offcamber ultra side knobs we call it the "pineapple" used exclusively by scott summers nuff said

Tom L

Dec 18, 2004
I use the cheap ones with the knobbies on them!!! Adjust to desired pressure!!! I just figured out it's not good to spin 'em on gravel though! It's kinda like taking a grinder to your knobbie!!!

Lance__a__lot

Oct 27, 2004
Go with s-12's front and rear. I deliberated for hours and hours searching for the right combo. I went with the S-12's after asking the local bike shops. I still can't get over what a difference they made to the bike. No more wash out or slippery back end. And these things have to be the best all round tyre available. The hook up on everything. They last to. Mine have done hours of every bit of terrain you can think of and still have loads of grip left. The rear doesn't seem to round like other tyres. Its just sort of gets narrower but keeps it's edge. The front still looks new. They rock! I will never change

xxrrider

Aug 16, 2004
Tire for sand + pavement - M402??

I'm looking for a tire for a tough combo of conditions. In lower MI we ride alot of sandy trails, but often pop out on a paved section and ride into town for gas or lunch (we have plates). Those little pavement excursions seem to melt the stock dunlops like butter. Any ideas - the Bridgestone M402 advertise a hard center section for better wear. I also thought I saw an ad for a harder compound dunlop tire. Any experience with either of those or any ideas? Thanks.

KdxChode

Jun 18, 2001
I got the M12 front and rear. The rear works real good in the rocky clay here inthe NW but I am having bad luck with the front. The rubber dried up or something and the knobs are just breaking off. I usually get two or three rears to a front but not this time...it's self destructing.

Jul 19, 2004
I ride tight woods, rocks and mud. the Michlen M12 does well on my modified beast of a 03 kx 250. I shredded the s12 in about 6 rides, the M12 is a good compromise.it's easily lasted twice as long and still has 4-5 rides left on it.

anyone try the Kenda melville "carlsbad"? I saw one on the back of a KDX220 and nearly shat my pants.

I was thinking of buying one....it sure does look meaty and my kx already stands up way too much when it gets dry. arm pump!!!

adam728

Aug 16, 2004
xxrrider said:
I'm looking for a tire for a tough combo of conditions. In lower MI we ride alot of sandy trails, but often pop out on a paved section and ride into town for gas or lunch (we have plates). Those little pavement excursions seem to melt the stock dunlops like butter. Any ideas - the Bridgestone M402 advertise a hard center section for better wear. I also thought I saw an ad for a harder compound dunlop tire. Any experience with either of those or any ideas? Thanks.

I'm lookng for the same magic tire as well. My stock Dunlops were toasted by the end of last year, and I only really rode from the end of August on. The tires were almost smooth around the center, but by that late in the year (hunting season) I was only using the bike to ride to work and back.

For this season I bought a pair of Kenda Trackmasters because
#1 They are cheap
#2 They are DOT approved
#3 They seemed to last forever on my old YZ
Well, road riding kills those as well, but they seem to be holding up much better than the stock Dunlops. At first it looked as though they would last most the season, but after 4-5 rides they rounded off a lot. Now with about 250 miles on them the center knobbies are about 40-50% their original height. Everyone always talks about how long lasting the Kendas are, so it makes me leary to spend twice as much on a "better" tire that won't last any longer. I'd rather spend $30 each for 3-4 Kendas to last the season instead of $60 or $80 per tire and still need 3 of em to get me till winter.

By the way, the Kenda front is holding up perfectly, the little goosebumps molded on the tread faces are still visable on all but the braking edge. Much more confident inspiring in sand and medium-hardpack compared to the stock front sneaker. The front end turns instead of sliding till I berm off something (was a big problem in corners with no berms :yikes: ).

xxrrider

Aug 16, 2004
Anyone try a kenda k778?

I saw a K778 on Kenda's website - they look just like a normal intermediate tire but are DOT approved. I had a buddy with trackmasters and while they did wear pretty well, they have a little less aggressive tread pattern. Anyone have any experience with it?

Thanks,
Anthony

Top Bottom