oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
Just had a friend weld me up a changing stand after having a flat at a race a month ago. This was the first race we have ever been at that there was not a race trailer so we were forced into doing it in the dirt. To avoid future repeats I decided to learn the trade (don't worry FarmerJohn I am not after your title) so I need to get some tools.
What size irons should I look for and what are some of your preferances for brands?
Should I get a couple different sizes? Do they come in different shapes/styles?

mxer842

~SPONSOR~
Nov 11, 2003
i have the motion pro ones, they are about 10" long, im not sure the exact length, but they work well.

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
I like the long black motion pro. It has excellent bends, but it does have a tendency to break often. I've broken 3 in the last year. It could be because of abuse but I think mounting any 19" tire should be classified as abuse!

Yogurt

~SPONSOR~
Dec 25, 1999
I got a set of Moose 13 incher's! Nice big handles, they do the trick. But I watched a pro Dunlop guy change tires at a National once, and they use about 5 tire irons and maybe one or two vice grips all at once. Seems like the more the better. But honestly, look for the orange handled Moose 13" tire irons. They come as a set of two, you'll love them.

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
I can second what Yogurt said.

The more tools the better.

We currently have: 3 Small motion pro tools. 1 big black MP tool. 1 Huge 3' prybar for those special moments. :)

JTT

~SPONSOR~
Aug 25, 2000
I once read an article, think it was from Kevin Cameron, who said you should never use a tire lever longer than your hand...any need for a longer one is a technique problem.

That said, I use the "Michelin" style levers (thin curved tips). If you can still find the "real" Michelin ones, they'll last forever. The knock offs, like Motion Pro usually break the tips if used too hard.

Some swear by "spoon" shaped ones. I have a set of 6" ones I carry in the woods. They actually work very well, only you need three or more to make the job easy. With my Michelin style ones, two is plenty for all by ice racing tires....and that's another issue entirely :scream:

Last edited:

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
I saw some prototypes of a new set of Motion Pro tire irons coming out in the next few months. They are meant for carrying in your tool pack out on the trail. About 8" long, and made of a very hard and extremely lightweight alloy. Very trick looking too.

EDIT: I think they may be out. Check the "Enduro Pro Tire Iron" at this link: http://www.motionpro.com/Docs/tiretools.html

I also have one of those Bead Buddy tools, but haven't used it yet so don't know how useful it is.

Casper250

Motosapien
Dec 12, 2000
I got the ones that are listed at the 16" Steel Tire Tool on the motionpro website although it's not made by motion pro. There made out of chromoly(spelling) steel and work real well for me. Taking a tire off and putting it on isn't to bad, for me the hard part is learning how to put the tire on without pinching the inner tube.

JTT

~SPONSOR~
Aug 25, 2000
Originally posted by Casper250
Taking a tire off and putting it on isn't to bad, for me the hard part is learning how to put the tire on without pinching the inner tube.

A wee bit of air in the tube to "round it up" does wonders ;)

Here's a great link for tire changing Clilck here

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
the ziptie ones with the red handle- i use three- the more the merrier!

when it comes time to take the maxxis off the 250 i may get a die grinder to it- them tires are hellish to put on and the 125 was a nightmare to take off.

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
6 inch irons. Like it's been said. Anything larger and it's a technique issue. After watching Jeff Fredette give his tire changing demonstration at DW01, I know it can be done without a 36 inch prybar

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
I usually don't need the prybar, but when it is 30 degrees outside the tires seem to be a little bit harder to mount. :)

placelast

Apr 11, 2001
ZipTy Utimate tire irons - those with the red handle. Moose has 'em, as does White Bros.

I just had to try them after a near collapse from removing an old 695 AT (six ply - never again) using shorty Motion Pro's. Yes, finally got it off but the boys witnessed dad getting faint. In the end that 'ol ISDT-tough guy image spared.

They now use the MP's for bicycle tire changes (or tyres, as Bruce would say; and he'd be correct: the English spoke English way before the Americans spoke, uh, well, American.)

Top Bottom