bunkynuts

Mar 31, 2000
I need to buy a new set of tire irons and was wondering which ones are the best (sorry if this subject has all ready been covered). Thanks. bunkynuts

Kevin31

Aug 4, 2001
I just bought a set of no-name cheapies and they worked great, I did my first tire change in under 30 min. I paid $20 + tax for the pair.

KDX1

Mod Ban
Jun 5, 2001
About 2 months ago, I bought a pair of Moose tire irons and have used them once. They performed well and are definately worth the money. Before I had them I used to use screwdrivers. They are not the best tool for changing tires as I had put holes in my innertube and soon learned that I was not supposed screwdrivers. :think

00 KDX 200
Procircuit pipe & silencer
AMA
GNCC

HiG4s

~SPONSOR~
Mar 7, 2001
I have to cheap generic 13 inch tire irons. I keep saying I need a third one, maybe even one with a handle, but I managed to change my back tire this morning with out TOO much trouble so I guess I don't. I must say, I will never go back to screwdrivers. A real tire iron, of any sort makes a huge difference.

BoneBuster

Apr 22, 2001
I used Terrycable's 16" Mighty Tire Iron, it's expensive, $30 each, but well made with big handle and doesn't bend at all. Also am using their tire changer, makes the job a lot easier. I was able to change the tire in about 5 minutes. BTW, WD-40 works great on the beads.

Terrycable tools at http://128.241.167.119/zip-ty-2.htm

Last edited:

someday

Jul 10, 2000
Had the pleasure of watching Jeff Fredette give a quick tire changing 101 at DW-01 recently. He's an advocate of small (8-9") levers and using technique versus muscle. It worked perfectly too! He also commented that a little lip ground in an 1/8" from the tip is nice to feel the grip against the rim. Lastly, he said polish them smooth so that they slide off the rim better. Anyone else see this? I miss anything?

MXP1MP

Nov 14, 2000
I got some new one recently two 13" ones that are like hooked/spoon shaped at the ends work great. I also got a small one 6" one to help with holding the bead in place.

Mark Hammond

Apr 6, 2000
Hi Bonebuster
Kowa tools the same people who make the T wrenches do rim savers they are in California and have a webb site if you do a search, if you don't have any luck send me a email and I'll lok up the details.

Mark hammond.

Mark Hammond

Apr 6, 2000
Thats the ones dude
I have used them on street bikes as I think they are really for them but there's no reason why they shouldn't work on MX bikes if you have anodised rims that you don't want scratched.

BoneBuster

Apr 22, 2001
Originally posted by Mark Hammond
Hi Bonebuster
Kowa tools the same people who make the T wrenches do rim savers they are in California and have a webb site if you do a search, if you don't have any luck send me a email and I'll lok up the details.

Mark hammond.

Thanks Mark,

I just picked up a pack of three from www.KowaTools.com for only $5.14, and they were willing to ship them via regular mail, good deal :)

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom