SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
Hey guys,
I've done a search and couldn't find a good answer to my question. I have a 2001 GasGas EC200 and the current tires are toast. They're Shinko Holeshot IT tires. Actually, they're junk. I've pretty much shredded every knob off the tire in under two months of riding about twice a week.
I ride everything from rocks (loose mine rock and hardpack variety) to roots to soft, fresh trail in dense forest. I also ride in the sand and bedrock as well as a motocross track with loose rock and hardpack, although we're adding some mulch to make to soil like loam (similar to washougal).

I think intermediate tires would be the best, but I don't know which ones. I've heard good things about Michelin and Dunlop, but I'm open to anything (except Shinko). Thanks.

Lorin

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 25, 1999
I have had exceptional luck with the IRC M5b for the rear tire. I ride weekly and usually get a year out of the rear tire. For the front, I run a Dunlop 755. I am very happy with this combination, and it works well everywhere. The IRC is designed as a sand \ mud tire, but worked (and held up well) in Colorado with many rocks, etc, on a 500 cc bike. I will use these tires exclusively until they quit making them.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
The M5B is a very good tire but I have found that the Maxxis 6001 for the rear wears like iron. It's an intermediate tire and works well on lots of terrain. For the front a Dunlop 756 works well.

I just got a Dunlop 952 yesterday and look forward to checking it out. It has the tread pattern of the old 752 but is suppose to be more durable. The 752 was my favorite tire but it wore out to fast.

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
Is the Maxxis 6001 the same thing as the IT? What's everyone's opinion on the Michelin S12? I've heard good things about it. Right now I'm leaning towards the IRC (if I can get one, sometimes we can't get them up here) but I'm still interested in the S12 or 6001 (IT?).

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
I didn't like the S12. They hook-up great but I thought that the handling was a little spooky. Especially in flat turns.

I really like, and have stuck with, the Maxxis IT tires. They are a bargain at $80-$90 a set, but they would be my first choice, even if they were priced higher.

darringer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 2, 2001
I like the traction of the S12 also. They wear very well. I've not had any handling issues with them. I run the S12 on the front, too. They work surprisingly well on the hard, rocky trails that I ride. The only drawback is they will chunk a bit on very rocky trails. I may try the Maxxis IT next, as the price is too low to pass up. I will probably stay with the S12 up front, as it is very predictable for me.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
I love the S12 and the Dunlop 756. Great all around tires, IMO, though each is marketed as 'soft' terrain.

If you go with a Michelin, remember their sizing is odd (130 Michelin = 110 Dunlop).

I have not used an IRC in years, but the M5B I had once wore extremely well.

I have not used the Maxxis, but I know some people that are very pleased with the wear, performance and price of the IT.

Top Bottom