MADisher

Grand Data Poohbah
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 30, 2000
In the market for new tires ?

I recently mounted up a pair of Michelins. MX Starcross MS2 on the front, and an M12 for the rear (since the don't make an 18" Starcross for the rear). Wow what a difference !

I replaced a Dunlop 752 on the front, and a Bridgestone on the back. Man I'm never going back. Super grip, made my bike handle a ton better. In all the slop today my front end never washed out. I had never felt more stable or been able to grab so much bite. Just a shameless plug for Michelins.

Dunlop 752 pffft... You couldn't pay me to use them now.

spanky250

Mod Ban
Dec 10, 2000
I also made the switch from Dunlop 752s and 756s to Michelins, and they are an improvement over the Dunlops, especially when leaned over while on the gas. The Dunlops tend to break loose with little warning in these situations, while the Michelins lose traction much more gradually and predictably.

ktmboy

~SPONSOR~
Apr 1, 2001
I have the M12 on the front, and am very pleased. I'm happy to hear that they make an 18" rear, because as soon as my Bridgestone is gone I'm going with the Mich. back there too. BTW, I live in the So. Cal. desert, where conditions range from loose sand, to hard pack, to rocks and ruts,and some occasional mud when we finally get rain, and this tire works everywhere!

spanky250

Mod Ban
Dec 10, 2000
Originally posted by ktmboy
I have the M12 on the front, and am very pleased. I'm happy to hear that they make an 18" rear, because as soon as my Bridgestone is gone I'm going with the Mich. back there too.
Try the S12 on the back. I find that it holds its edges better than the M12. I use the M12 on the front.:cool:

Pathfinder4

Sep 4, 2001
I am curious as to what size rear tire. I notive the M12 has several sizes available. I am running a pirelli 120/100 on the rear now and feel this is to much tire.

thanks

MADisher

Grand Data Poohbah
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 30, 2000
Here's what I put on:

1 Soft/Intermediate Starcross 80/100-21
1 M12 120/90-18

Michelins numbers are kinda screwy. I don't think the rear is any different in pysical size than the Bridgestone I replaced. It just has a superior tread pattern.

Please explain to me: too much tire ?

ktmboy

~SPONSOR~
Apr 1, 2001
Spanky- Is the S12 a hard rubber compound? If so, how does it hold up in rocks? ( We've got a lot of loose rocks out here on some of our hillclimbs!)

MADisher

Grand Data Poohbah
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 30, 2000
I believe the S12 is the softer. From what I've seen (my fathers DR and cousins YZ426), they wear fairly well.

fishhead

die you sycophant !
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 22, 2000
S-12 is fairly soft compound for a soft terrain tire but it has a stiff carcass, when the carcass starts to go it will throw some knobs. In loose conditions it works well but on hard rock or talus or muddy slabs you can tear it up pretty quick if you spin the tire a lot. I have noticed that it provides a good grip well into it's life.

spanky250

Mod Ban
Dec 10, 2000
Originally posted by ktmboy
Spanky- Is the S12 a hard rubber compound? If so, how does it hold up in rocks? ( We've got a lot of loose rocks out here on some of our hillclimbs!)
In general, soft terrain tires use hard rubber compounds to reduce tread flex, and widely spaced knobs to allow them to sink into the ground. I don't have too much trouble with tread chunking on loose rocks. There is one place that I ride that has many long, steep, exposed granite hills with a lot of sharp edges. I do seem to lose a lot of knobs when I ride there, but I don't think any tire will hold up to that very well, none of the tires that I have used last long there. For most of the places that I ride, there is a combination of loose soil and rocks, nice loamy dirt, roots, and hard clay. The Michelins hold up very well in these conditions.

MADisher

Grand Data Poohbah
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 30, 2000
Yes Spanky generally,

But the Michelins S12's are pretty soft. I think thier website even shows it as being softer (or worse for wear) than the M12 and H12. I was kind of worried about getting them at first becaue compared to say the dunlop 752's they seemed mighty soft to me.

MD

NDRO

Jan 6, 2001
I have a set of S-12's that are on my bike after a 130 mile Dual Sport ride. Lot of road riding..

The look new...

Get the S-12's.;)

spanky250

Mod Ban
Dec 10, 2000
Originally posted by MADisher
I was kind of worried about getting them at first becaue compared to say the dunlop 752's they seemed mighty soft to me.MD
The S12 definitely holds its edges much longer than 752s and 756s. And I think the knobs on the Dunlops tear easier in rocks, as well.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom