markymark77

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 4, 2002
I was wondering what drawbacks there are in using titanium for making brake rotors (other than high material costs). I read somewhere that titanium doesnt wear well or disipate heat well. I dont think heat would be a problem since MX is relatively slow and the bikes are light when comparing to other motorsports. Surface treating the material might improve wearability but may reduce friction. Any thoughts on this? :clue:

hammerhead251

Feb 23, 2004
My MX rotors turn blue, especially the rear. The place I'd like to try Ti is the inner ring of a floating front disk, and the 'rivits' that join the ring and rotor. I have a disk on my DRZ that has a carbon fiber inner ring. I'd love to have that with a wave rotor and Ti rivits (for my KTM's).

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
markymark77 said:
I was wondering what drawbacks there are in using titanium for making brake rotors Any thoughts on this? :clue:

markymark.

Compared to stainless steel and other materials used for rotars, titanium is a very abrasive material. I would think the increased wear to the brake pads would offset the few grams of weight that you would save.

Just my $ .02

Top Bottom