ZoomingM3

Feb 24, 2005
I'm thinking about purchasing a used dirt bike (private party) located in New York. My question has to do with Title (pink slip), does the state of NY issue titles on dirt bikes?

Thanks for your help.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Every new bike I've bought in NY comes with a title. It's a moot poimt though since you can't regester it for road or trail. They are rarely used in any transactions because of this. If you were concerned about lawful ownership of the seller you could ask for it but he may not have it.

ZoomingM3

Feb 24, 2005
Thanks for the information. What do you do when you go to buy a bike from a private seller and they don't have a title? How do you know you're not buying a stolen bike or a bike that has a lien against it? I'm confused! :coocoo: What have others done in this type of situation?

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
You can get the VIN # and check with the police to see if it's been reported stolen. I get a receipt from the seller with the VIN # & their name, address, phone number in case I had to go after them but I've been lucky over the years. If you buy from someone that obviously rides then the chances of it being stolen are slim.

I honestly never thought of the lien problem. Not sure how to check for that without a tittle.

Casper250

Motosapien
Dec 12, 2000
All the bikes I bought did't come with titles, they come with certificates of origin, but i bought them out of state. The one bike that I did buy from a dealer in NY gave me just the registration card for it and a receipt for the bike.

WoodsRider

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
It depends what the previous owner did with the bike.
Some register the bike as an ATV.
Some are able to register it as a motorcycle and get a title.
Others do nothing.

Top Bottom