wildride

Feb 6, 2004
Hi everybody...new to the forums, and the sport, so I've got a few questions for the TM gurus...I used to race shifterkarts, and kicked ass regularly with my TM, so naturally I want a TM mx'er. I'm looking at an 00-01 TM 125MX. Now I know the power is awesome, but how does everyone like this bike? How does the handling compare to the japs? Suspension? I've only really play ridden, so MX is going to be mostly new to me anyways, but I loved my TM engines and the bikes seem to be just as nice, so if anyone has any input on these bikes/what to look for/what years, it would be greatly appreciated! Cheers

endurohero

Apr 16, 2003
tm 125

the engine produces good power over a narrow range but it can take the abuse it needs to get it up and moveing.The suspension on the other hand isnt as good, if it has the zokes up front they might need stiffer springs and a look into revalving.The shock is close with just an adjustment to spring rate to bring it up to par.Unfortunately they dont turn as well as most of the jap bikes .It might be possible to find or make a set of clamps with a little less off set to help that out. Is this bike on Vancouver Island?

wildride

Feb 6, 2004
endurohero:
Thanks for the reply...I don't have the bike yet, but I'm looking for a 125MX. The one I'm looking at has the Paioli inverted front forks, and the Ohlins rear. So you figure the a problem with the handling is the triple clamps' offset? Does anybody make a triple clamp w/ a proper offset? I'm not worried about the engine so much, I have some experience getting big power out of these motors, but if the handling is gonna be no good, that's more of a concern for me. BTW, I'm on the mainland, is there someone on vancouver island with a bike for sale?
Cheers
-Greg

tm-enduro

Mar 7, 2001
Personally, I like the handling of a TM, the Jap bikes seem nervous to me. The RSU Paioli's are awesome, folks seem to be split on the Paioli USD forks. Tm's work well (motor and handling) making smooth arcs rather than slamming berms.

wildride said:
endurohero:
Thanks for the reply...I don't have the bike yet, but I'm looking for a 125MX. The one I'm looking at has the Paioli inverted front forks, and the Ohlins rear. So you figure the a problem with the handling is the triple clamps' offset? Does anybody make a triple clamp w/ a proper offset? I'm not worried about the engine so much, I have some experience getting big power out of these motors, but if the handling is gonna be no good, that's more of a concern for me. BTW, I'm on the mainland, is there someone on vancouver island with a bike for sale?
Cheers
-Greg

Camstyn

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 3, 1999
Greg, what part of the mainland are you from? I've got a '02 TM 400 in Agassiz, don't know anyone personally that has a 125.

endurohero

Apr 16, 2003
there was an 01 tm125mx for sale on the island. phone ken @kenco in Sooke, he will be able to hook you up.If the bike has the usd paoli forks the potential for major improvements is good because the internals are very similar to that of kyb forks.(same damper tube inner dia) So alot of the modifications people have mentioned in the suspension forums here about kyb forks can be used to improve the ones on the tm. You might also contact Barker bros for a bike.I think dan barker still works at holeshot in langley.My friend Pat just pick up his new 04 250e, pretty nice.

MikeS

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 12, 2000
To bad you guys are not here in the states. There are some great deals here.

My son rides a 03 TM 125E. This bike is awesome it will outpull an RM or YZ and hang with any KTM out there. We ride mostly offroad events and some MX/Arenacross. This year we had 150 kit done and we took off the flywheel weight. Yesterday was our first race at a local MX track that was running a harescramble. The bike was great as it got the holeshot against a Cr125, 2 -04 RM's, 03RM,03 KTM125, 04 KTM200 and a YZ144. As for the Suspension (ohlins both ends), Last year we ran stock and found it very good, this year we are running MXTech's revalves and so far the jury is still out. Junior (14) rides the A 200 class. He is a good rider but this bike helps alot.

I hope you enjoy the TM as much as my son is.

Mike
www.harescrambleracing.com

wildride

Feb 6, 2004
Thanks for the input everyone! Lots of help all around, but I think I'm gonna be going with a KTM or a Husky...
Cheers
-Greg

Top Bottom