TW736

Jan 21, 2000
Will be looking at a 2000 model TM300E tomorrow(tuesday), any opinions, things I should look for, and as usual where do you find parts(good dealers).

Ramski

Feb 6, 2001
From what I've read, they are great bikes. Everytime I see one in a dearlership, I can't take my eyes off it! They are the nicest looking bike made! I'll be away from dirt bikes for a year and am thinking about getting a TM when I come back. I currently ride a KX500 in Arizona and California. The 500 works great in California, but out here in the tighter trails of Arizona, it's a handful.

I've heard they made some changes in the 02 300 engines. Before they had a real hit to them whereas now they are more mellow and much better for off road. Also heard about maybe some frame changes coming in 04?

I'd love a 300e!!!

Ramski

Feb 6, 2001
One other thing. Talking to many suspension experts, they say that a lot of people automatically assume Ohlins forks are the best out there. It really depends on the riders abilities. The newer Paioli forks are supposed to be as good as any out there from what I've been told.

Just a thought.

MikeS

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 12, 2000
Bikes look great. Suspension with a normal woods revalve from any good tuner and these bikes rock. I rode a 01 300E and it ran like my Ktm 300 exc with aftermarket exhaust/silencer. Strong mid to top more like a 250 hit but with more bottom than a 250.

Don't worry about parts. I think there are great delaers in Illinois, Missouri, Ohio just incase you have trouble locally. A new dealer popped up here in Pennsylvania and I had not trouble getting any thing I wanted for a 97 125 E. Pricing is in line too :)

TW736

Jan 21, 2000
Thanks for the thoughts, Ramski I'll be out your way in a little over two weeks riding with John and whoever else I can talk into showing me some trails :). If I have the bike you'll have to take it for a spin......TW

Ramski

Feb 6, 2001
John is a great guy and took me out on my first ride here. Not sure if I'll be here when you come. I'm leaving in Feb for a year long tour in Korea. I'd be great if you come before I leave since I'd love to see the bike if you get it. Hope to see you.

2smoke

Sep 21, 2001
My friend just bought a TM250E 2001. I thought it was great a real rocket. Just a note on the forks. I had heard that the Paioli's were a bit average but when I ride it last week the front and back end handled great (set up for woods) the harder I went the better they reacted. And it handles real sweet....I believe the chassis is the same on the 250's and 300's. Just another 20 cents worth of opinion for ya.

Paul Nurmi

Apr 24, 2002
I ride with a friend who loves his 2000 TM300, but does have a couple of complaints. Vibration is the biggest complaint which cause early fatigue and bolts loosen and sometimes fall off. Another is the hit of the engine is a handful in tricky situations...more of a MX type powerband. And lastly, a lot of replacement parts are limited to only the TM OEM parts. The positives are that parts are easy to get, handles well and the bike seems quite reliable. Just my .01c

Ramski

Feb 6, 2001
No problem. Being used to a KX500, the vibes should be normal for me. Lets me know the thing is running.

So it won't run on 91 octane? My 500 loves that stuff. Guess I'll have to get that special stuff that everyone talks about. LOL! Ya, I've heard you can get away with running 50/50 on them. Hopefully you don't have to run straight race gas.

TM-Frank

Dec 15, 2000
Originally posted by Paul Nurmi
....Vibration is the biggest complaint....Another is the hit of the engine is a handful in tricky situations...and the bike seems quite reliable...

Agreed! For the race gas: We don't need it here in europe since our pump gas seems to have a higher octane rating, but the high compression wears out the kickstarter. Prepare to buy a new one once a year!

Originally posted by Paul Nurmi
....a lot of replacement parts are limited to only the TM OEM parts...

No! TM gets their parts from the same supplieres as for example KTM does and a lot of designs are copied japanese parts (seat, clutch etc) You get almost everything from aftermarket sources.

Robb TM250

Jan 9, 2003
So did you buy it? I just talked my buddy who was a die hard Yamaha fan into buying a TM 250E this week. I have been riding TM's for 4 years without any problems. They are great bikes. Remember to change your tranny oil after every ride and use hi-octane gas. I use klotz 108. I hear there is a riding park near Fort Dodge that I would like to go riding at. Maybe we could all meet up with all TM's :)

CanAm1

May 16, 2002
I have a 98 TM 300E as for after market parts Fenders are UFO KX side panels KX Raidator panels YZ.Frame is a copy of a 94 CR pipe is a CR copy with some fitting the CR pipe will fit in there,In a pinch the 250 CR piston would work in the TM 250.I have seen a Boysen Reed set in a TM250 and RM carbon fiber silencer TM just used the best parts from other Bikes and put them together.I also own a 98 TM125MX

Robb TM250

Jan 9, 2003
Canam1- I own a 98TM250 also, what year CR 250 pipe can you use? My HGS pipe is getting really bad and would like to get a new one. I know Pro Circuit sells a pipe for the 99-03 TM's but my head design is different than the new ones. Also what about the silencer, my bike is the MX model and would like to get a spark arrestor for it.
Im waiting for my friends new TM to get here so I can ride it :) I'm thinking about getting a newer TM enduro and turning my 98 into a super motard.

CanAm1

May 16, 2002
The CR pipe is from 94 to 98 and to make it work you had to shave one of the manifold rings to make it fit.If you can find a used pipe see how close that are at the head pipe and go from there.As far as a sparky the same guy who did to Reed bit had a carbon fiber silencer off a RM and that was a 2000 TM 250 this guy had. I got alot of the info from Euro TM owners.If you want try some of the guys who make pipes for Go Karts they use the same bend as the bike pipes with a small stinger pipe.If you have a bike shop that has some of this stuff around a caliper and a good eye there is a swap

rhino105

Nov 15, 2002
I have a 2000 300E. It is a great bike. It does have a pretty good midrange hit that makes it hard me to ride sometimes. I just got back into riding after a many year absence and I am relearning to ride. There are minor changes you can make to mellow out the hit though. Ramski, we need ride sometime. You are more than welcome to try my bike. I live in Mesa. By the way, I never run race gas in my bike and have not had a problem yet.

Ramski

Feb 6, 2001
rhino 105, thanks for the offer. I'll be away for the next year, but hopefully when I get back. I've got a year to decide if I want to sell my KX500 and get a TM. I know of only one TM dealer in the area and that is Cycle Moto in Mesa. Do you know of anyone else? Thanks.

Top Bottom