Greg M

Jun 25, 1999
I got an e-mail yesterday from the importer of the TM dirt bikes.

He said the 400's are now available. The price is just a little on the high side, $7,950!!!!! That does include an Ohlins fork however.

He says Dirt Bike has been testing the 400E which is revised from the September prototype. Pete's last comment was, "the bike is incredible" and "You won't be disappointed."

I don't doubt that it is an awesome bike, but $7,950 is a lot of cash. Especially for a 400. As good as the bike may be I don't think it will be that much better than a KTM or Husaberg yet it costs $1,000 more. Now if it were a 450 like Husky's new bike, I might be tempted.

Here is a link to a photo of the bike.

http://www.mototm.it/ind_ita_m.html

FWIW.

Greg M

smb_racing

Master of None
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 31, 2000
why can't it be better than a KTM or Husaberg? I think the TM's are a pretty cool bike, they've got big name stuff all over them, which could be why they cost more than others. Plus they're the latest to hit the market, availability is scarce, and plus they just look neat :)
I'm not doubting that the KTM's are a good bike, but I personally think they're overrated. Not that I'm trying to strike up a flame in the euro forum or anything, but the TM might just be a better machine. Not that I'd pay that kinda cash for any bike, but if I had to ;)

ToddHawaii

Apr 3, 2000
Yes, it is beautiful. I'm afraid I "would" spend the cash for a bike like that.

ALooooha!:)
TrailTramp
98'HuskyWR250

chasejj

Nov 29, 2001
:) Well..... I went a did it. I bought one of those TM400's. Off Road Group in Indiana is setting it up now to send back to me here in NoCal. I can't hardly wait to get it in my greedy, sweaty hands!

KTM CHRIS

~SPONSOR~
Nov 6, 2000
You mean that you must send a bike off to Indiana to have it setup. You would think that for $8,000 it would be ready. What in the world are you having done to it?

chasejj

Nov 29, 2001
Well.....I bought from them and they are in Indiana. I haven't actually seen the bike yet.
As far setting it up. Springs for my weight, valving as well,Scotts damper,rear disc guard,taller seat(I,m 6-3), Dealer setup, yada,yada, yada.

Normal off road mods and prep any bike would receive.

ieatdirt

Nov 8, 2001
Chase:

Why did you buy it in Indiana? Just curious. There are a couple of great shops much closer to you namely Race City Cycles in Carson City NV and Racers Pit Shop in Shingle Springs CA. By the way here's a shout-out to my buddy Dave Telford at Race City, he's given me a couple of really great deals on bikes.

Matt

chasejj

Nov 29, 2001
They are the only dealer who had one in the country.I tried with Motoxotica and Racer's Pit Shop. They just aren't able to get one yet.All things considered, Dave at Off Road Group has been excellent to work with and is extremely knowledgeable with TM's. Probably more so than anyone I've spoken with so far.

smb_racing

Master of None
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 31, 2000
chasejj,
I'm eager to know how you like the TM, I talked to a few guys on TM 2 strokes at the ISDE qualifier that was around here and they were really enthusiastic about the bikes.

endomatic

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2001
I have two friends wth tms. A 125 and a 300 ,both race A class harescambles,very fast and dependable. They have had no problems. Both say better than any jap bike.

trigger750

Dec 4, 2000
i have had a load of jap bikes and now have just brought a TM250e and its an amasing bit of kit
i do hare'n'hounds (hare scrambles) and can't wait to give it it's first race
i brought it this week because a couple of weeks ago i raced against this bike and it beat me so to stop it doing it again i brought it

jeff

FlinginDirt

Jun 4, 2000
There is only four of them in the country right now two sitting in the warehouse and one is a prototype, the other at offroadgroup. there are three two fifty four strokes in the country right now also.The boss rode one when they came in and said "best thing since sliced bread" all of them are at the warehouse. TMs are very high quality machines but the drawback is that there isn't a dealer at every street corner like jap bikes.;)

JigyJig

Mar 7, 2000
Talking of reliability TM's are excellent.

I had my 99 125e stolen

And people were still reporting seeing it a year later being thrashed through the bush. And I know he hadnt brought any spare parts for it in the year as there is only one importer in Australia and he was checking on all 125 spares sold, to try and find it for me.I also doubt if he did any other maintenance
either.

I know it was mine still being seen as there were only 2 off them in West Australia and the other was down south in the country.

Also I have had my 300 nearly 2 years, on average I probably only ride about once a month, but I have never bought a thing for it. All I have ever done is cleaned the airfilter and changed the gearbox oil a few times.But I'm thinking of pulling the barrel of and looking at the piston before next season.

Nick

Last edited:

KnobShredder

Dec 1, 2000
Originally posted by Greg M
I got an e-mail yesterday from the importer of the TM dirt bikes.

He said the 400's are now available. The price is just a little on the high side, $7,950!!!!! That does include an Ohlins fork however.

Wow, those TM400's sure have gone up in price huh?! I hope the Ohlins fork helps them handle better than they used to. Tell me, do you think the price of a 250 Elsinore would be any better?

Oct 10, 2000
Chasejj

Saw your bike last night!!! My buddy and I went to OffRoad Group last night because we heard that they had the TM 250 4stroke.
Your bike is sitting on a stand in the back room where the general public is not allowed to go. Its is 3/4 the way together, they said they were waiting for the top clamp for the stearing dampner? It looks real cool, they showed me the inverted carb on your bike as the seat and tank are off.
You couldn't ask for a better MC shop to be doing your TM. They go to all the local HS races and some national stuff. They have their own TM race team and give the guys great support.
Now about the TM250 4stroke, the bike looks real cool but some of the plastic didn't line up exactly on the right side. No big deal. When I took it off the stand it felt as heavy or heavier than my WR. The motor reminded me of a KLX motor and looked a little big? It doesn't have the Olins forks, and they are painted forest green (that would have to go).
Dave said the TM didn't re-invent the wheel with this bike and should be very reliable, The frame is real cool, and top of the line parts are every where. I asked how she ran and he said that the 250 ran like an uncoorked WR. The price is 7,599? And is still on the show room floor(as of yesterday).

chasejj

Nov 29, 2001
Either Mike or Dave will answer the phone.They are excellent and extremely knowledgeable about TM's and Gas Gas motorcycles.812/335-0776

Chase

endomatic

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2001
TMs

You can also call the Off road repair at (618)936-2282.Ask for Joe, he has a125 & 250 on the floor.They are located in southern Il. Very good bikes!

Endomatic

Top Bottom