TM owners, Help!! Clutch problem!!

KTM250RDR

Mar 27, 2002
I have a 01 tm 250 MX and I am having problems with my clutch. When I try to pull in my clutch lever in it locks up solid. I can pull it hard enough to where I blow the O-rings in the slave cylinder. This is the 2nd set of O-rings. The hydraulic slave cylinder works fine when off the bike. Moves out just fine. I took the clutch apart and it looks fine. I can't figure it out. I replaced the O-rings and took apart the clutch and put it back together and it worked fine on the stand. I went to a race today and the clutch worked fine for about a 1/4 mile and then the lever locked up. I squezed it hard enough in a rage and blew the O-rings again in the slave cylinder. What can it be. Need your help!!
Thanks
Chris

TM-Frank

Dec 15, 2000
When the lever locks like you described it is probably because the slave piston is so far out that it contacts the gear shaft.
I could think of three possible reasons a) you lost/forgot the steel ball that sits in the slave piston or b) the pushrod is too short or c) the clutch actuator bearing in the pressure plate is somehow worn out.

KTM250RDR

Mar 27, 2002
Tm Frank
Thanks for the info. The steel ball is there and it is the stock pushrod. I guess I'll order the clutch actuator bearing and give that a try. Any reason it works for a little bit and then then locks up?

TM-Frank

Dec 15, 2000
No, don't order yet, have a look at the thing first.
I had a similar problem once and noticed that I had forgotten to reinstall one of the bearings thrust washers, so that the bearing worked itself into the aluminum pressure plate. Result was like a too short pushrod..

Byronherron

May 12, 2022
Did you get this sorted sounds like the same thing that is happening to mine and I can't bloody figure it out
I've replaced the slave and replaced the seal as I blew it replaced the master cylinder I've had the clutch to bits numerous times and I've added a 2mm spacer to the push rod I have half a clutch lever then it is solid

Top Bottom