Status
Not open for further replies.

MN KDXer

Registered
Jun 7, 1999
My son might be getting a TM dealership/factory sponsorship for next season. I was wondering if anyone has some experiences with the two 125 models to give me a good comparison. My son took a test ride on a 01 TM 125MX, and he said the bike completely RIPS, and has great handling + suspension. he said that it would scuff the 01 RM125 pretty good.

Also, I have the age-old questions of TM parts prices & availability, durability of the bike, and resale potential.

Without a doubt, these TMs look TOTALLY trick, and have to be an excellent bike.

Thanks in advance for any advice! :)

offroadracer

Jul 16, 2000
I have the same deal with TM i've got a 250 enduro its a great bike.belive it or not the parts are very reasonable even before my allowance. The suspension is awesome i didn't even re-valve. thats a first for me in the last 5 years.

tm-enduro

Mar 7, 2001
The difference between the mx and enduro is minimal. The enduro has more flywheel to power the lights and softer suspension for woods conditions. The 125e rips. Parts prices are great, availability has never been a problem, and there is no bike that is more durable than a TM. The fly in the ointment is that resale on a euro 125 is going to be poor (below blue book). The bike will definitely cost you less to own (than comparible bikes), but you will make up for it in poor resale.

MN KDXer

Registered
Jun 7, 1999
Thanks for the replies, guys. I've been kicking around the the TM idea some more and I've have a big concern about the resale value. It also concerns me that should the only dealer in the state discontinue the brand, then where ? It's kinda spookey to be buying a bike which makes GasGas seem like a major brand. :eek

How bad is the TM's resale? Is it bad-bad, or just need to find the right buyer? I would think it would be wise to move it down the road before it gets too old or worn.

On the bright side, the TM machines are here to stay, and perhaps, if my son can put on a good ride, perhaps he could improve the brand's perception, thus bringing up local resale value.... maybe.

What's your thoughts?

In any case, the TM sure seems like it has all the goodies, and would be a very good bike. But, it isn't like the other bike brands are toads, and my kid seems to be able to ride like crazy and yet be easy on the bike. A NICE combination, huh? :) If only "I" could do that! ;)

kesnerp

Feb 24, 2006
I am completely rebuilding a 2001 MX 125cc. I only have good thing to say about the bike. Took everything apart including the engine.
It's one of the best 125cc engineered bike I've ever seen. Reliability comes from builders attention to choose quality parts and materials.
Mine was a competition bike and won several titles(not with me) and was very abused. Only stopped because of poor mantenaince(air filter replacement) from previous owner. He knew nothing at all about bikes. Unwanted particles got into the engine damaging the piston. Fortunately the cylinder was not affected. Despite all abuse the bike is in good shape and will be running again…
Regarding resale value you probably won't sell it after riding the thing…

ramsrule

Sep 29, 2009
i have a 2001 mx 125 and it is an amazing bike.im 210 pounds and it throws me around.is there any websites where a person can get parts like plastics and stuff ?i have not been able to find a place anywhereeeeeeeeeeeeeee that sells tm parts

calv

Jul 29, 2009
I have an '03 mx 250, it goes like nothing else. Honestly, parts are a problem. It's fine if you want to replace stock parts with stock parts, your TM dealer will get you all you need. If you want some nice aftermarket parts it's a bit trickyer, but they are out there.
Resale is a factor as I'll never sell it, just buy another bike, probably KTM.

ramsrule

Sep 29, 2009
thats sweet. mines a 2001 and i bought it for 800 dollars canadian.so for a few more years if i wanted to sell it i should be able to at least make back what i paid,

tyler_43

Jun 22, 2007
Lots of us here on Vancouver Island ride TM's, they're great bikes.
And since the importer is very close to us the resale of Tm's around here is much higher than that of Japanese bikes simply due to their quality.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
doesn't anyone look at the dates? This thread is 8 years old!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom