Rice#67

Dec 17, 2007
Those TM's are FAST! It's no wonder they outlawed them in the AMA. Back when I was racing beginner 125's MX I met one of my friends friends and he had the enduro model 125. Had the lights on it and everything. He said people would be looking at him funny at the starting line laughing. Well, out of the 3 races I saw him do that day he pulled the holeshot every time. He wasn't that good of a rider either, there would be 4-5 guys right on his @ss the whole 5 laps. He would barely hold them off. He pulled 1st place and 2 3rd's that day. He was a good starter though.

That TM MX144 looks like it could be a sweet bike, I'm curious on the cost of it though. And cost of parts and availability in the U.S.

If you look at the compression ratio on the 125 enduro it is 16.7-1 :yikes: They don't show what it is on the MX model.

Rice#67

Dec 17, 2007
I'm not sure how accurate this is, but I found something on another forum stating that the TM125 engine makes 46bhp... but needs a rebuild every couple hours. I wouldn't doubt it with 16.7:1 compression.

hot125mod

Jan 14, 2007
I was also wondering about the compression ratio being 16.7:1 man that is high the jap bikes are like 11 or 10 with the powervalve closed what do they have for cylinder pressure 250 lbs?

hot125mod

Jan 14, 2007
46 hp is high out of a good 125 mod or even a 144 I saw KTM had their 125 at like 43 but it was a full on factory motor. the highest horse 144 was like 39.1 or high 38s but i heard it was near impossible to get anymore even if you run straight U2 and thats good for 1 to 1.5 horse with spot on jetting in a 125. I think the athena kits are 14.8:1 which is about 190 psi or so no totally sure but damn that is high. It would never stay together. the dynos measure wheel horsepower too. bhp is brake horsepower what it makes at the wheel(s)

tyler_43

Jun 22, 2007
the TM's last really well actually. My budd's TM125 rapes my yz125 (his is stock, i've got an fmf factory fatty and boyesen reeds). I've had to replace my top end twice and his hasn't lost a single pound of compression.... they're just built that much better. But to get that performance and reliability you have to sacrifice a decent parts network and add some weight. Now that we have a semi close-by dealer here (www.barkerbroscycles.com) and the bikes have the aluminum frame... they're lookin pretty good. People would definetly look at me weird at the racetrack though :P

Camstyn

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 3, 1999
Apparently the 144 engine is all new from the ground up, too, built with one purpose and that is to beat the 4-strokes. It should haul, I'm thinking hard about getting one, I bet the fun factor is incredible.

Camstyn

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 3, 1999
Hey Pred, just keeping it between the lines here! Been off bikes for almost 3 years now and I'm starting to get the itch again that I lost.

Top Bottom