motor86

Dec 25, 1999
Learning speed for a double is very hard. On my track, I am the only person that will do the big jumps, so I don't have anyone to learn from. Also, on my track are the biggest jumps I have ever done. So learning them can be tough the first few attempts.

My latest double is located after a three foot single out of a corner (first gear) and then there is a corner and at the end of the corner is the double. This really makes it interesting. One mistake on the corner leading up to the single, jumping the single, or on the turn after it will ruin your chances of making the double.

So I learned this by going for the jump and then backing off and rolling over the double right at the end. I did this untill I was confident in the other parts (both added at the same time). Then when I finally decided to try it, I went straight at it (not on the track). I rolled it. Then I did it and landed right where the front end would start on the uphill of the landing. Then I went full throttle and jumped it. I overshot it but I kept doing it over and found the speed where I hit it right. Then I did it on the track and it was fine.

From what you have said, he should already know the track pretty good. Just get him to jump the first jump a little ways until he gets almost to the uphill of the landing. Then tell him to hit it faster.

But it wouldn't hurt to make him wait longer either.

JJmxr

Nov 14, 1999
Here is my .02. First you know your kids limits better than anybody so that will be a good start. My son broke his collarbone at Washougal last week while leading the race, so I think I can offer some help. I think that distance is not an issue. An 80 could easily jump 100'. My thing is learning the proper jump mechinacs, so that the kid can deal with situations that come up. I say practice on a table untill he is comfortable in the air, and can make corrections calmly. I suggest getting speed and coasting up the jump face to clear it first. After he masters this, then work on in air corrections. These are in my opinion the most important aspects of surviving jumping. Most important is good body positioning. Have him in a good netural position, squeese the bike with the knees, and practice changing the bikes position in the air by shifting weight and pulling or pushing on the bars to raise or drop the front end. I could get more detailed, but I'd be here a while. The brake tap, and panic rev also work, but not nearly as well, and the brake tap is a little advanced.

After being able to calmly make in air corrections( could take weeks), next is to work on throttle position on take off. Now repeat the last exersize, but this time have him carry about half throttle all the way off the jump. He may need to scrub some speed before the jump so he doesn't jump too far now that he is carrying his throttle. He also may need to lean foward a little on take off to offset the added momentum. This is the way to attack most jumps. Make sure he knows that chopping the throttle on the face of the jump though is a sure fire way to get a trip to the hospital(thats what my son did because he thought he was going to go long. Now he is out 8 weeks, and needs to learn to wipe his butt with his left hand) Thats why in air corrections are so important. They can turn a hospital trip into a safe landing

I tell my son that jumping long is not always a bad thing, I can say for sure that coming up short is can be very bad. Jumping long is usually not too bad, but land with the throttle on as it will soften the landing.Unless there is a corner right on the landing, then my opinion is to always land with a good amount of throttle on. This alone has saved my son many times as it will straighten up an out of shape landing.

I would say practice this, and cornering untill he is comfortable, before he worries too much about lots of jumping. It will pay off big in the long run

Now that he can handle a flat landing attack that double. Just have him jump the first bump faster, and faster untill he lands almost to the start of the double. Then he will know that with a little more speed he can clear it. This is obviously not a tech. to use on the big jumps, but by the time he is ready for those these things will be second nature.He could also follow someone over it if he is brave enough.

Sorry its so long, but my son is very stubborn and has had to learn the hard way, so if I can save someone the hospital visits I'm happy

Last edited:

Tom_joad

Oct 4, 2001
This is what I tell people who are first learning how to jump. Jump the jump first and land in the flat. Then jump it and land almost on the landing. Then jump it and case it. If they are expecting to case it, then they can pretty much save it. If they amagine themselves casing, and they know they are, then they are prepared and they absorb it. Then when they know it doesnt hurt to case it, they go ahead and jump all the way over. If its a double, tell him to jump the take-off a little crooked and land on the flat next to the jump. Tell him to do that until hes landing on the flat right next to the landing. If he can soak that up, and he can soak the case, then he should be confident that he can make it. The problem is when people dont know how much gas, what body position and they end up doing a big endo in the air. Thats the biggest problem with beginners, they do the endo, get scared and freeze. And thats how they end up hurting themselves. Hope that helps...

IBWFO

Aug 5, 2001
One thing I have learned with my son is NOT to push him. He will do it when he gets ready. If you must "push" him to do it get a buddy of his to ride with him and tell him to stay with his friend over the jump (same speed) and that will usually work. It works for me. I am totally against pushing kids to do things like that. My son was such a "Flower" on an 80! I thought he would NEVER do any jumps. Then when we got the 125 he just blew my mind. Maybe it's age but I don't think so. I see so many parents push kids to do things they don't want and they get hurt and lose interest.
Give him time.

regards:cool:

Yamamoto

Uhhh...
Apr 3, 2001
It reallt depends

Originally posted by Tom_joad
Then jump it and case it. If they are expecting to case it, then they can pretty much save it. If they amagine themselves casing, and they know they are, then they are prepared and they absorb it. Then when they know it doesnt hurt to case it,

Case this Jump (click here)

Hope you have metal limbs or rubber

Tom_joad

Oct 4, 2001
well, I wasnt really talking about a mammoth double.... I just assumed that if someone was starting to learn how to jump doubles, it would be a smaller one.

Top Bottom