bbbom

~SPONSOR~
Aug 13, 1999
Okay, no it's not ME, it's my son. Just turned 9, 4'8" tall, 85 lbs not a small boy. Has been riding since he was 4.5 on the trails. Started SX last year on his KX60. Now racing in 60 beginners on the KX and in 80 beginners on his 01CR80E with 2" smaller rims.

He loves air but has NOT attempted a double. This is an ugly double to me (but so are some whoops). It is actually a triple about 85' long. The takeoff is about 6-7 feet tall and from crest 1 to crest 2 is about 40'. I have watched some pretty good riders crash HARD!

He wants to do the double but he only gets on a track 1 to 2 times a month for either a race or an organized practice. I don't know, should I let him or make him wait until he can practice with a friend's son that does very well in the 80's and 125's? Is a double THAT hard to do on an 80 or am I just being too cautious?

If I let him do it, what advice should I give him besides to commit one way or the other?

MRKRacing125

Oct 24, 2000
Your son will have too be halling some arse! If its right out of a corner and there isnt too much runway room then I wouldnt let him try it, but if it is on a straight away with some room too gain speed and room too stop then I would tell him too look at it closely and size it up;)

bbbom

~SPONSOR~
Aug 13, 1999
It is on a straightaway so the approach is okay BUT it is actually a triple so the landing is between the 2nd & 3rd bump. They are pretty steep on both sides so the landing is what really makes me nervous.

So, which is better to come up a little short or long since it is a triple? Which gear on a CR80E? 3rd? I told him he needs to try to ride along with someone that does the double part to see what their speed is but that is difficult to do when he isn't as fast as the top kids in his class.

Anymore advice? Does the testosterone HAVE to kick in this darn early?

Last edited:

gibbs_6

Jul 5, 2001
If you know he has the experience to and know that he will probably clear it, but are a little hesitant since you are scared he might get hurt.I would let him do it if you think hes ready and wants to do it.If you don't think he has the experience then I wouldn't let him try it till you thought he did.Just my 2 cents.:cool:

Danny8785

Jul 23, 2001
I think you should let him attempt it, make sure he knows it is not a good idea though. If he fails then I suspect that he will listen to dad a little better form now on. Be prepared, if he makes it he will not only want to do it over and over again, but he will find a bigger one to try! I would make sure he is well geared/padded though. Please tell us what you decide, and wheather or not he made it.

HAzE

Uhhh...
Dec 29, 2000
double......

Wait untill he gets faster, and watch him when he comes up to the double, and if he lets off alot, then tell him it would be okay. Like I did, I used to go really fast through this one corner, and all the way up to the face of this mini triple, and I would let off. So my dad,my friend, and his dad both told me just to do it. So I waited like 6weeks, and finally gained up enough balls, and just held it wide in 3rd. But I ride a 125. I know a kid that jumps it on his RM80 in 3rd but he hauls major. If he's comfortable with trying it, and thinks he can do it. I say you let him try. "When in doubt,GAS IT!" is what my dad and uncle always told me. It's confidence, and skill level. Later.

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
Bbbom - about your question to if it's better to come up a little short or a little long on the double of the triple - I say it's better to come up a little long on his first attempt to clear it. The landing won't be as smooth as nailing it perfect and landing on the downslope on the double... but it's easier to save landing on flat ground than it is casing (or smacking into the face) of the double. Plus if he over jumps it the first time - I bet ya the 2nd and 3rd time will be near perfect because he will know he can back off of the gas a little bit and he'll be more comfortable than trying to go for more gas. Just my best advice.

Isn't there a smaller double that he can do somewhere before attempting this one? Like a 15-25 foot double somewhere - just so he can get the feeling first of how it feels to land one right.

3rd gear sounds about right too - since it's a straight before the jump - he should probably get up speed in the straight - then make sure to go over the jump about 3/4 throttle.

And yes - I agree with you - I think first he should watch other 80 riders jump it (listen to their bikes, watch their speed and where on the takeoff they usually jump, and maybe ask them what gear they are in) and then - if he can "follow" behind someone who jumps it to know how much speed is needed - that would make it a little easier.

Keep us posted :confused:

bbbom

~SPONSOR~
Aug 13, 1999
I appreciate all the input. I'll tell him what everyone said (he already knows my concerns) and let him decide.

Nikki - 3rd gear & 3/4 throttle. We will be watching the other's closely before he tries it too!

KX-727, there are other doubles on the track but this one is the "Grandstand Double" and it is also the best straightaway on the track. He has not done a double before but has gotten some decent air on the end of the triple and on the tabletop. This will be his 3rd race on his CR80E and I think he's getting used to the bike and wants to do better. He usually placed 5th or so in the 60 beginners but he has to work harder in the 80's.

Danny8785 - he has to listen to mom on this one! Dad doesn't ride and lives in CA. ;)

He's a good rider but not a lot of track experience. He is a sharp kid and usually keeps it under control but tends to be a bit of a showoff when he has an audience (normal little boy) and his dad will be there for this race, along with several other members (racing members) of my family soooo he's pumped up.

I'll let you all know what happens after Saturday night. :scream:

If anyone has anything to add, feel free to commment! Maybe if I could do one I wouldn't be so worried. Like anything, it looks so easy when done right and so ugly when it isn't!

Yamamoto

Uhhh...
Apr 3, 2001
I will not mention names

But You CANNOT over shoot a Double thats a Tripple (think about it) ....thats just as bad as coming up short on a double.

If you have question ....just say NO, he may not like that but you "momma" have a job to do at the track and home ....you asked the question because you are not sure....so don't go against your betyter judgment.

sorry if it sounds hasty but I have see too many good young riders lose what they had over, going over their head.

I run my son this way, if he proves to me he can clear 30 foot (table top) I will let him do an 20 foot double.

KDXDan

Oct 17, 2000
IMO I wouldn't let him do it.
This is why:
1. 85 feet for a kid that just turned 9.
2. You say he has not attempted a double but you're contimplating 85 feet.
3. You've watched "good riders" crash hard there. That reads "better riders".
4. You don't have enough confidence in his riding ability or you wouldn't have posted here.

Last edited:

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
bbbom,
I don;t think you have to worry about the bikes performance. I feel that that bike will sure handle the jump you have described. I suggest not taking too much advise here on this one. You ultimately have to decide on the maturity and ability of your son. You are totally responsible for anything you tell him. Not that he will always listen, but it's your job to tell it right. Only you can decide what is correct here. How's he feel? (if it were me, one bit of hesitation on his answer would seal the deal).

Yamamoto

Uhhh...
Apr 3, 2001
Want to know what happened?

I told him not to and he did it anyway.

BBB....Tables, Tables, Tables! Practice makes perfect.

Have him do tables tops till he gets good controll and can put that front wheel on a rag at any distance you choose Give or take a foot.

MXDad

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 25, 2000
This is a tough question when it deals with your kids. You've gotten some good advice already, but here's my .02

Sounds to me like a pretty technical jump for his "1st" double. If there's no rounding of the landing, or extended flat long, i think I'd try to find some other jumps to work up to it. Make sure he's comfortable jumping the distance and doing some smaller doubles before trying this one. Long or short, it sounds like it's pretty unforgiving.

I know this is a "go for it" sport, but he is only nine and doesn't sound that experienced on the 80. Nothing slows down improvement like an injury. Good Luck.

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
I would suggest NOT doing it. If he has never done any doubles, he should start with easy ones.

Any time you have successive obstacles, they are much harder. If he makes any mistake on the double, he won't have the luxury of taking his time to get the bike back under control before he hits that third jump.

Where we practice, there are 6 small jumps in a row that can easily be doubled through in 2nd or 3rd, but not many people do because if you make a mistake on one, the next one is going to bite you. I think it is much easier to learn when you have time to recover from a mistake.

Also, having the family there is not a time to try anything new or dangerous. You both will lose on that one.

MX-727

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 4, 2000
Well, considering your answers to my questions, I agree with Gomer. Start small and easy on doubles. This jump sounds pretty long and technical. If he can't hit the small window of landing area, your son is going to get hurt, or in the best case, lose a ton of confidence.

Practice the tabletops and find some easy doubles is my recommendation. My son just did a 40 foot double for his first and it took him a while to get it right. He came up short once and went down, but on something this size he wasn't going that fast (guess that's why he came up short :scream: )

It's fun being a parent isn't it? :)

bbbom

~SPONSOR~
Aug 13, 1999
We, (the kid & I) have decided he needs to get more practice on the bike and on easier jumps before he try's this one. I also talked to one of the kids that is in the top of the 125's and a friend of ours about helping him and he is happy to help.

I think what really convinced him (no it wasn't mom knows best :() was the fact that a girl in his class that he likes crashed on her quad rolling over the 2nd bump of this triple and broke her collarbone at the practice last Monday. I think it kinda helped give him a better perspective of reality - better than anything I could say would.

Appreciate the info and advice!

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
For me & and sure a lot of other people, I judge speed mainly by knowing what gear I'm in and the general sound of the bike. If you're running smaller wheels it's the same as gearing the bike down which will in fact raise the Rpm's giving the false indication that you are going faster than you actually are. If you compare the sound of you're sons' bike to the other 80's, his bike will be turning higher Rpm's to go the same speed as the others. Does that make sense?

Regarding over or under jumping, I agree with High Lord. When there are other obstacles to setup for, it doesn't give much time to setup for if the landing isn't good.

Hucker

~SPONSOR~
Sep 15, 2000
I'd get him comfortable jumping a 35-40ft table before he starts trying any doubles. You can screw up on a table pretty good and still land it, although casing doesn't feel real good, its better than coming up short on a double and going for a ride over the bars. Once he gets used to the table, he'll have an idea of how fast he needs to be going in order to clear a certain distance. Hell, I still haven't tried the 65ft double at the local track, just something about doubles. But the 70ft table? No prob..... So let him practice on a table, before he tries the double..

Just my $.02

bbbom

~SPONSOR~
Aug 13, 1999
Originally posted by BikeDstroyer
I'd say he can't do it until you can!!!.....So you better get busy

I'll do it if he'll loan me the 80!!! :eek:

I would love to have the time to get out to the track and learn how to do it right but wish in one hand and.........

Results were - NO DOUBLE!

He rode much smoother and faster this weekend though. Gave him a starting step for the 80 which helped him get out of the gate better. He got 10th out of 15 riders in the 80 beginners and 4th out of 13 riders in the 60 beginners. Little sister got 10th in the 50 beginners - she didn't crash this time either!! Much to my relief.

Next race is October 13th - guess we'll be getting to the track before then to work on corners and see how he does on the tabletops. Too hot & dry for the woods now anyways! If I don't ever post again, the CR did me in!!! :think

kawi 151

Jul 21, 2001
hi I have a cr 125 now but about 3 weeks ago I still had my little kx 100 that went good. I had been riding for quite some time and I to wanted to hit this certain double that was out of a coner and you had about a good 50 yards to it but you had to shift quick. what I did was: I firt looked at the jump and rolled over it to get a feel for where the smoothest spot was on the jump(where everyone hits it) I then went of the jump at half speed this caused me to case the jump... but it showed me my speed. So the next time I went to take the jump I hit 3rd gear and hit it smooth I cleard the jump and it set my speed for the next table top to come. I say you let your son decide but make him aware of the consiquinces. I wish your son and you good luck .

FMX_novice

Jan 5, 2001
Ive seen kids on 65's clearing 70 foot triples, the 80 has the capabilities to cushion some serious air. 4th gear pinned will do it. Now, your son needs to have confidence and control in the air. When you start him out on doubles, start him off small 30 feet first then bigger and bigger that way he will learn mid air control bit by bit, and not take the hardest lesson of them all. Faceplant 101.:scream:

Top Bottom