MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
My 1996 YZ125 is due for a top end and I'll be doing it this week. I know it has a nikasil type coating on the cylinder walls and my question is this. Should I hone the cylinder before putting the new top end in or not? I have NEVER had it honed before and not sure if this is something that needs to be done or not.

What do you guys know about this?

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
General purpose Scotchbite pads (maroon #7447) are a safer and cheaper choice for breaking the oil glaze that builds up over time. If you are going to use a hone, a 320 grit ball hone the size of your bore is your best bet.

jmics19067

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
At the risk of people shakin' their heads at me and sounding silly this is what I do.

I have one of them old style hard stone spring loaded hones , you know the kind that is a complete no-no for plated cylinders. I chuck that into a variable speed drill and then wrap a Scotchbrite pad around the stones carefully. Making sure that the stones are completely covered by Scotchbrite, I slide it into the jug , spray wd40 liberally and with a slow to medium speed on the drill in a smooth up and down motion. In less than a minute I am ready for the shop dedicated toilet bowl and baby bottle brushes to scrub clean.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Originally posted by jmics19067
At the risk of people shakin' their heads at me

:| :confused:

Top Bottom