500_boy

Jan 3, 2004
Hey there, I just picked up a 1985 CR500 in pretty rough shape, I am looking at restoring it, I was wondering what I should all replace or check out to get it running like new Also what are some add-ons or replacements to make it start easier..

Thanks

-Jared

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
The 1st thing I do to any bike, used or brand new, is to take it apart, clean everything and regrease. I think that'd be where I would start if i were you. Riding a beast like that scares the hell out of me without worring that the wheel might fall off at anytime. Only after I did all that and replaced the worn parts there would I worry about the engine, that is if it runs to begin with.

500_boy

Jan 3, 2004
What do you think about rebuilding the bottom end, I have taken the clutch apart and plan on rebuilding the top end, is rebuilding the bottom end hard, I have never done it....

Peer Lovell

Nov 25, 1999
Its not hard to do a bottom end. However, you need some very specific tools.
If you don't have them and don't have a manual and some experieince I wouldn't recommend getting into it yourself. There is just too much to screw up.
I live in Southern Ont. also and got my 1998 CR250 bottom end done for about 150.00 in labour plus parts. So, why bother doing it yourself.
If you want a couple of recommendations for places to go let me know.

Top Bottom