To revalve or not to revalve is the question

KDX200Kev

Sep 22, 2003
I just replace the fluid in my forks (5 wt) and shock (2.5 wt) in my 1996 RMX250. Nitrogen charge was around 150 psi for the shock. Both front end and rear seems quite spongy over the whoops. The rebound adjustment on the shock does not seem to make that much difference. My static sag is set a .875 inches and race sag at 4.3 inches. Thus my spring is a little light for my weight but in the ball park 12.2 inches of rear travel (35%). A new heavier spring was installed increasing it from 5.4 to 5.6. I understand the suspension on this bike was considered good at the time it was made. My question is should I go to a heavier wt fluid for the rear shock to increase the rebound adjustment or just have them revalved (or gold valve added)? If revalving is the way to go who would you recommend in Southern Ca. I understand during the RMX heyday both FMF and Protech did the revalve on the RMX for the famous riders. Thanks for your response.

Sage

dirtbike riding roadracer
Mar 28, 2001
2.5 sounds pretty light in the rear, if both end are really soft I'd go 7.5 both frt & rear because it old & worn & soft with 5wt, lower the oil in the forks a bit if they are harsh with the 7.5. if moneys not an issue revalve both

Top Bottom