• No

Votes: 35 61.4%

• Total voters

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
nope, just wheelie through the tight trees and turn the bars to fit.

Or, in my case, stop, wedge one side through, push forward an inch, swear at the &&**%$ tree, lean the bike to the side, push the other side of the bar through simultaneously ripping flesh from your knuckle, swear at the *&&$$%%## tree again and at the guy who laid the course out, push bike forward another inch, get foot caught between tree and swingarm, back up an inch, release foot, push forward a bit more, stall the bike, dismount(forgetting that the ground drops away on the side you decide to get off on) and fall flat on your kiester while your buddy(who has tears running down his face from laughing so hard) points out the line that runs to the outside of the two tight trees.

May 10, 2007
what about oxygen.

i dont really see the point in trimming the bars. most trails that i ride on are made for bikes so their arent gonna be trees that really get in the way.

except for that one that you think you can make it then you clip the edge of the bar. then you get to freak out on the tree that came out of nowhere :D

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
Yep.... I run Pro Taper SE's and cut somwhere between the second and third notch on each side. I think each notch might be a 1/4", so I'm taking off a little over 1" total. Main reason I cut them is because I'm a shorty (5'5"), so it's more comfortable for me, plus I think it makes for better cornering for me. If I remember right (too lazy to look up the charts online), all bends of Pro Tapers all come in the same standard width, unlike Renthals and Tags that come in different widths for different bend styles.

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
XRpredator said:
I trim.

oh, we're talkin' handlebars . . . never mind

Handlebars........not Speedos........ :yikes:

WoodsRider

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
For the rocky stuff, where I normally ride, my bars are stock width, 32.5" barkbuster to barkbuster, for more control. When I race in Jersey I have a pair of cut-down mini bars, 29.5" barkbuster to barkbuster, for the miles of endless ignorant-tight stuff.

adam728

Aug 16, 2004
Mine are trimmed to just under 31". I just feel more comfortable with slightly narrower hand spacing. I may go a touch more, we'll see.

patto3

Apr 8, 2006
I trimmed mine once and it felt alright except it did give me a bit more headshake. I don't think I will be trimming the bars on my new bike.

MeanorMX

May 30, 2007
I have monkey limbs so I tend not to trim things because of my longer arms. My friend has a CR 125 that has the bars trimmed and I'm just too cramped.

YamaB

Apr 2, 2004
I race primarily harescrambles, so I use trimmed bars... They really help in a lot of the tight trails that we race on...

Steve St.Laurent

Mi. Trail Riders
Feb 6, 2006
I trim mine down to 30" wide at the bark busters so the bars are about 29". Much wider than that and I'd be smacking WAY too many trees. I love the real tight technical stuff!

Last edited:

Pushin50

Dec 18, 2006
I have short arms so I need to cut 1/2" off each side so they fit me. I am also lazy so I just move the grips in 1/2" on each side and call it good.

wake_rider

Feb 21, 2007
When you're 6'3" you need your bars as wide as possible. I just use Bark busters to keep the hands healthy.

Top Bottom