Don Marsh

~SPONSOR~
Jun 5, 2001
I am planning on riding Tomahawk the weekend of Oct.28-29. I will be going to Avalanche Bay Water Park in Boyne City with the family on Sat. afternoon. I am planning an early morning ride finishing up early afternoon and then riding Sunday. I am camping at Weber Lake or the trailhead if the campground is closed.
Riding rain or shine,even snow if needed. All are welcome to join in. :ride:
Don

katoom125

Apr 25, 2004
Don Marsh said:
I am planning on riding Tomahawk the weekend of Oct.28-29. I will be going to Avalanche Bay Water Park in Boyne City with the family on Sat. afternoon. I am planning an early morning ride finishing up early afternoon and then riding Sunday. I am camping at Weber Lake or the trailhead if the campground is closed.
Don

just as a point of information: A few years ago we went up for a late fall ride - planning to stay at the campground, which was closed, then as you mentioned, we went to the staging area (truck/camper w/bike trailer). DNR showed up and said that we were NOT supposed to stay in the staging area other than to ride the trail (no overnight camping) - it was about 10PM at the time. They were pretty good about it when I kidded that we were only waiting for a little more sunlight and we'd be heading out on the trail. they did allow us to stay that night but I'm not sure what the policy is today - you might want to have an alternate plan.

Don Marsh

~SPONSOR~
Jun 5, 2001
Thanks, I like your alternate plan, maybe I will have to try that.
Don

89TRX350RX

Oct 1, 2006
You can expect to see at least two moderately Crazy Cannucks, as we have now recouperated from the last beating you gave us there... Fred (Right?), I like what you came up with for the DNR, pretty funny.... Looks like we'll be there Sunday...

Jamie

YZMAN400

Dec 2, 2003
Hey Don. If Weber Lake is closed there is a great camping spot to the south west of the staging area. Take the road south west past the staging area. It turns to Springvale road. A the corner of Springvale rd, CCC road, And peat road (they all come together there) turn south on CCC road, then turn imediately to the east on Peat road. It looks like a seasonal road. But it should be passable. At least it was on Labor day. About 1/2 mile down it opens up to a clearing on the right. There is a fire pit at the west end of that clearing and might even still be some fire wood left over from us.

From that camping spot just head east on Peat road and you will catch the Mccct trail and a little further east from that it intersects the C loop.

Ward

Jan 23, 2006
I am negotiating for some ride time for Saturday the 28th. What time would you be planning on riding Saturday morning?

Don Marsh

~SPONSOR~
Jun 5, 2001
Early, as I have to be in Boyne Falls BY 1:00PM I was warned today by my daughter!Don

ride2live

Oct 26, 2005
I've been thinking about riding Tomahawk trails this year and would be up for meeting up with you guys.

Bill Fritz

Don, see you tomorrow...

Godzuki

Sep 22, 2004
hmmmm interesting dont ya think yzman are you going to go and pull your pop up, hehehe if i sell those tires today ill have the cash for my chains and sprockets i need.

YZMAN400

Dec 2, 2003
Godzuki said:
hmmmm interesting dont ya think yzman are you going to go and pull your pop up, hehehe if i sell those tires today ill have the cash for my chains and sprockets i need.

What are you talking about. Lack of riding has affected your brain I think.

Ive already been to tomahawk 3x this year. Im good to go.

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Hey Don.... The seed has been planted for heading up to Wolverine early Sunday morning to ride with you. Should know for sure by Friday.... and it depends on weather. Cold and not raining = :cool: ... Cold and rain / snow = :|

Let me know where you'll be staged and what loop(s) you plan on riding... Sturgeon River Campground is within a few miles of the C loop.

What's the latest you'd want to hit the trail? It's about a 4 hour drive for me.

Anybody within the Oakland county or downriver area want in on this ride and split gas with me?

89TRX350RX

Oct 1, 2006
See you Sunday

Don Marsh said:
Don

Don, Darrin and I WILL be there early Sunday morning. I'll give you a call before Friday night to work out the fine details. We're going to try and get our Orange buddy to come with us, but if he has to work, he may end up being sick... :laugh:

Later Jamie

Don Marsh

~SPONSOR~
Jun 5, 2001
Well I finally got through the week I didn't know if I would make it this weekend but it is going to happen. I called the DNR, Weber Lake was closed early due to a storm causing to many blowdowns. I will be camping somewhere in the area by where YZman suggested.

"If Weber Lake is closed there is a great camping spot to the south west of the staging area. Take the road south west past the staging area. It turns to Springvale road. A the corner of Springvale rd, CCC road, And peat road (they all come together there) turn south on CCC road, then turn immediately to the east on Peat road. It looks like a seasonal road. But it should be passable. At least it was on Labor day. About 1/2 mile down it opens up to a clearing on the right. There is a fire pit at the west end of that clearing and might even still be some fire wood left over from us.
From that camping spot just head east on Peat road and you will catch the Mccct trail and a little further east from that it intersects the C loop."

I will be riding around 10:00 Saturday & Sunday, RAIN or SHINE all are welcome. :ride:
Don

ride2live

Oct 26, 2005
Don,

I'll be there and ready to ride Sunday 10:00 a.m. (Eastern Standard Time). Will you be riding out of your camp spot or the trail head parking area?

Bill F

Don Marsh

~SPONSOR~
Jun 5, 2001
I will be riding out of the camp. When I get up there tonight & check it out, if things change I will get someone to post here for me, so check before going.
Don

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
YZMAN400 said:
... there is a great camping spot to the south west of the staging area. Take the road south west past the staging area. It turns to Springvale road. A the corner of Springvale rd, CCC road, And peat road (they all come together there) turn south on CCC road, then turn imediately to the east on Peat road. It looks like a seasonal road. But it should be passable. At least it was on Labor day. About 1/2 mile down it opens up to a clearing on the right.
Got any GPS coordinates for this spot Don?

Thanks...

EDIT: Got it...

Click -> N45 16.513 W84 45.163

Last edited:

89TRX350RX

Oct 1, 2006
Is that 10:00 after we set the clocks back??

I've tried to call Don on his cell, with no luck... I was wondering if the 10:00 departure time was 10:00 Daylight savings time or 10:00 after we set the clocks back tonight which would really be 11:00. I sure would hate to be late!!! :bang: :bang:

Thanks and hope to see you guys there!!! Jamie

ride2live said:
Don,

I'll be there and ready to ride Sunday 10:00 a.m. (Eastern Standard Time). Will you be riding out of your camp spot or the trail head parking area?

Bill F

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
I just spoke with Don.... tomorrow is off, at least at Wolverine. They just groomed the C loop, and there's lots of wet trail junk that'll throw you on your ass (I know, I know... sounds like a riot!). Don went down pretty hard today, and got to "break-in" Denny's brand new Asterisk's for him... :ohmy: Other than that it was very windy, with a cold rain all day.

Don recovered this afternoon soaking with hot jets and a Captain's & Coke. :nod:

Tomorrow may be a possibility "somewhere" if Don's knee goes down, but it won't be Wolverine. :(

89TRX350RX

Oct 1, 2006
Thanks Smit-dog... I'll try him on his cell later and see if he thinks it's worth our ride down from the frosty North to ride with him tomorrow?!?

Jamie

YZMAN400

Dec 2, 2003
Smit-Dog said:
Got any GPS coordinates for this spot Don?

Thanks...

EDIT: Got it...

Click -> N45 16.513 W84 45.163

Yep thats the spot. Not that it matters now anyways. Your not heading there by the sounds of it. But you can store that one away for future use. There is actually another great spot further to the east of that one on peat road. Its at the top of a small hill. But it may be harder to get to if your totin a big rig. The 1st one you marked is pretty easy to get into with a camper.

What was Don doing on the C loop anyways. That loop sucks big time.

Don Marsh

~SPONSOR~
Jun 5, 2001
Sorry for making everyone change there plans.
I was riding the "C" loop due to time constants and a rider who hasn't rode all year.
The trail had just been groomed and allot of debris were left in the trail where the blade was lifted up. I had been hitting them fast for about 30 miles and then I found a log hidden under a pile. From the tire & bark marks it looks like another inch and I would have pulled it off and not be here sitting with an ice pack on my knee typing instead of getting ready to ride.
And for the record Bill it is JACK & coke and besides its race week and I don't drink before, I just take lots of LEGAL drugs.
SG- The hot tub works well depending on where you position the jets!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :laugh:

Don

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Where were you this morning Donny Boy? Rumor has it that it was either Carrot cake or Deb that kept you in bed today.

And do those Jack and Cokes come with umbrellas, or do you supply your own?

Last edited:

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom