Tomb of the Unknown Soldier

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
I wish I had this in time for Memorial Day, but I just recieved it today from a good friend and I thought it was quite worth sharing with my DRN friends....

On Jeopardy the other night, the final question was How many steps does the guard take during his walk across the tomb of the Unknowns ------ All three missed it

This is really an awesome sight to watch if you've never had the chance . Very fascinating.

1. How many steps does the guard take during his walk across the
tomb of the Unknowns and why?

21 steps. It alludes to the twenty-one gun salute, which is the
highest honor given any military or foreign dignitary.

2. How long does he hesitate after his about face to begin his
return walk and why?

21 seconds for the same reason as answer number 1

3. Why are his gloves wet?

His gloves are moistened to prevent his losing his grip on the rifle.

4. Does he carry his rifle on the same shoulder all the time
and if not, why not?

He carries the rifle on the shoulder away from the tomb.
After his march across the path, he executes an about face
and moves the rifle to the outside shoulder.

5. How often are the guards changed?

Guards are changed every thirty minutes,
twenty-four hours a day, 365 days a year.

6. What are the physical traits of the guard limited to?

For a person to apply for guard duty at the tomb, he must be between 5' 10" and 6' 2" tall and his waist size cannot exceed 30." Other requirements of the Guard: They must commit 2 years of life to guard the tomb, live in a barracks under the tomb, and cannot drink any alcohol on or off duty for the rest of their lives. They cannot swear in public for the rest of their lives and cannot disgrace the uniform {fighting} or the tomb in any way. After two years, the guard is given a wreath pin that is worn on their lapel signifying they served as guard of the tomb. There are only 400 presently worn. The guard must obey these rules for the rest of their lives or give up the wreath pin.

The shoes are specially made with very thick soles to keep the heat
and cold from their feet. There are metal heel plates that extend to the
top of the shoe in order to make the loud click as they come to a halt.
There are no wrinkles, folds or lint on the uniform. Guards dress for duty
in front of a full-length mirror.

The first six months of duty a guard cannot talk to anyone, nor watch TV. All off duty time is spent studying the 175 notable people laid to rest in Arlington National Cemetery. A guard must memorize who they are and where they are interred. Among the notables are: President Taft, Joe E. Lewis {the boxer} and Medal of Honor winner Audie Murphy, {the most decorated soldier of WWII} of Hollywood fame.

Every guard spends five hours a day getting his uniforms ready for guard duty.

ETERNAL REST GRANT THEM O LORD,
AND LET PERPETUAL LIGHT SHINE UPON THEM.

In 2003 as Hurricane Isabelle was approaching Washington, DC, our
US Senate/House took 2 days off with anticipation of the storm. On the ABC evening news, it was reported that because of the dangers from the hurricane, the military members assigned the duty of guarding the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier were given permission to suspend the assignment. They respectfully declined the offer, "No way, Sir!" Soaked to the skin, marching in the pelting rain of a tropical storm, they said that guarding the Tomb was not just an assignment, it was the highest honor that can be afforded to a serviceperson. The tomb has been patrolled continuously, 24/7, since 1930.

May God Bless and keep them.

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
May God bless and keep them indeed.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
A very proud statement for the men honoring our most honored.

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
These days, most "Americans" feel that they should have all of the freedom that they desire, while others should not be allowed to inconvenience them. Unfortunately, most citizens of my country do not feel the need to protect their country. Somebody else will defend our rights. The fact that these men have enough respect to guard a tomb that represents the nameless men that have given their lives to defend our country, touches me deeply, but the fact that they have chosen to defend my freedom moves me even more. I get choked up every time I hear "The Star Spangled Banner", but it pisses me off when celebrities butcher it with their personal style.
I do wish that it were Marines, and not Army, guarding the tomb, but the Marine Corps has better things to do.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
I do wish that it were Marines, and not Army, guarding the tomb, but the Marine Corps has better things to do.
I was good with everything you said until that. Did you serve in either? My guess is no, otherwise I doubt seriously you would have said that. I'm taking that as an insult.

Here's some numbers to chew on, is the Supreme Sacrifice of some not as valuable as others?

From wikipeidia.org:
WWII
1-Battle deaths were 292,131, Army 234,874, Navy 36,950, Marine Corps 19,733, Coast Guard 574, and United States Army Air Forces(included in Army 49,112)

The Marine Corp KIA in WWII can also be confirmed here:
http://www.history.navy.mil/faqs/faq56-1.htm

Vietnam
Of the U.S. military, 58,226 were killed in action or classified as missing in action. A further 153,303 US military personnel were wounded to give total casualties of 211,529. The United States Army took the majority of the casualties with 38,179 killed and 96,802 wounded; the Marine Corps lost 14,836 killed and 51,392 wounded; the Navy 2,556 and 4,178; the Air Force lost 2,580 and 931; with the lowest deaths in terms of numbers and percentages among the branches being the Coast Guard, with seven dead and 60 wounded.

If you are wondering, the ratio of served vs KIA is .5 more for the Army.

From the Washington Post: Deaths in Iraq (Op. Iraqi Freedom & Enduring Freedom) Not sure of the date, but seems fairly current.

Air Force: 46
Air National Guard: 1
Army (includes Army Reserves:104): 1487
Army National Guard: 359
Coast Guard: 1
Marines: 667
Marine Reserves: 70
Navy: 68
Navy Reserves: 3

Per the Navy, In both Iraq wars thru July 2005, Marine Corp KIA was 531 per http://www.history.navy.mil/faqs/faq56-1.htm

Isn't it odd that the media would have you believe it's mostly Army National Guard that are dying? At least that's my impression.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
I really hate to critique the original post, but there are some inaccuracies and embellishments.... This isn't to take away at all from the honor of guarding the Tomb of the Unknowns (Changed from Tomb of the Unknown Soldier in 1958), but some stuff is just wrong.

FYI: The Army was given the honor of guarding the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier in 1926, as the Army is the oldest of the military services.

The 3rd Infantry (The "Old Guard") has been the official Honor Guard of the Army since the 40's and been an active unit since the 1780's. Besides the Tomb (since 1948, 24 hours/365) they are responsible for the Capital.

There is no "30" waist requirement, they are between 5-11 and 6-4 and and of "proportionate weight and build".

Their duty lasts 30 minutes per shift in the summer, 1 hour in the winter. 2 hours when Arlington is closed.

Typical Tour as a guard is a year (no such minimum 2 year commitment). They live on Ft. Myer or off-post, not under the tomb. There are quarters under the amphitheater where they stay during their 24 hour shifts.

The no swearing or drinking for life thing is internet BS.

The first six months of duty a guard cannot talk to anyone, nor watch TV.
More Internet BS.

For more info, see the Society of The Honor Guard, Tomb of the Unknown Soldier site here: http://tombguard.org

And about the email Jaybird received: http://urbanlegends.about.com/library/bl_tomb_unknown_soldier.htm

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
Okiewan said:
I was good with everything you said until that. Did you serve in either? My guess is no, otherwise I doubt seriously you would have said that. I'm taking that as an insult.
Actually, yes, I spent four years in the Corps, and currently my wife is active. My family will soon be moving to Camp Lejeune because of this. The remark that has insulted you so was intended as humor, which I though would be indicated with the part about wishing it were Marines guarding the tomb. The better things to do part was a jab at the Army. The "better" things the Marines have to do is to actually do the defending part while the Army stays home. I hope this clears things up, but if you are still insulted......
Oh, good info in the other post, I kind of thought some of the info was embellished a bit. I do know that those guys spend a lot of time on their uniforms, I met one of them at the Pentagon City Mall, while I was stationed at Henderson Hall. I remember that he wasn't allowed to wear the anodized brass, instead he was required to polish up his buttons until they sparkled. Not a fun chore.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
I'm not in the habit of running to Snopes each time I recieve some sort of information like this. I suppose maybe I should.
My intent was to show a bit of information that stirred my emotions and patriotism when I read it. I had no real reason, or want, to provide embellished material.
Nor did I intend for it to be a catalyst for any sort of "my branch of service is better than yours" type of crap, be it a joke or not, I don't think it was the post to display such ingnorant stuff.

I've said this before, after posting something that I found interesting, only to have it torn to shreads by the Snopers, that I would refrain from posting anything I got from the internet or e-mail. Once again my good intentions seems to have caused a firestorm of insults and critique.
It was not my intent, I assure you.

Fru...dewd, I also take offence when I hear such stuff from fellow service members. That sort of "joking" belongs in the tavern. I personally have never, ever, engaged in such poking at one service or another. I have always found that sort of thing completely distasteful, and lacking honor. The US Army has never stayed home. That is complete bull****, no matter how you threw it.

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
Jaybird said:
Fru...dewd, I also take offence when I hear such stuff from fellow service members. That sort of "joking" belongs in the tavern. .
In defense of Fru the internet boards are almost the new age Taverns to many of us unfortunately the joking/sarcasim doesn't come out as readily
Whatever anybody's intent I say THANK YOU to anyone who has served whether in war or peace, voluntarily or thru the draft.
I never served due to medical reasons (yes I am a 4F :think: ) but because of those that served I have the opportunity to pursue the American dream.

Having witnessed the changing of the guard I was truly over come by the raw emotion they can convey while remaining silent and in rigid military demeanor. It was a big enough impact on me (I was 16 at the time) I stayd to watch thru 2 1/2 hours

Thanks again

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
If it helps, I was drinking when I wrote it.
I enlisted in the Marine Corps because I felt it was the best of America's armed services. I still feel that way. I do have quite a bit of respect for the Army, Coast Guard, Navy, Air Force, and National Guard (in that order). These people display a vast amount of honor by merely signing the contract that most of our youth will not.
I poke fun at a lot of people, that's how I am. It is not dishonorable, or distasteful. It is just having a sense of humor. When I meet someone from one of the other services, I will often take a quick stab, then wait for the jarhead joke that is sure to come.
I am fully aware that no branch of the US military has ever stayed home in time of war, that option is reserved for those whoe lack the intestinal fortitude to defend out great country, but instead, expect others to do it. I don't have much respect for them, or the media that loves to portray our military as a bunch of bloodthirsty savages. I never liked Bill Clinton, not because of his sexual behavior, but because of his attitudes about the military. Unfortunately, I served under his reign.
I also feel that there would be far fewer casualties in Iraq if our fighting men and women didn't have to worry so much about whether or not the would be court martialed for their actions. The terrorists and their cowardice tactics are very effective, because they look like everyone else and slide in under the radar. Our side can't prevent it because we have to worry about everybody else's civil liberties.
Jaybird, is it safe to assume that you are an Army man? It seems to me that you are.
For anybody else that I have offended, maybe you needed it. You don't know me well enough to judge me, nor do I know you. Perhaps I shouldn't have have expressed humor in a patriotic thread, perhaps that's just the opinion of some. I am biased toward the Marine Corps, and I also feel that the United States is the greatest country in the world. I am certain that any person who has served feels that their chosen branch is the best. We all had a job to do, and every branch of service has a different purpose. I am not ignorant to that fact.
I am not overly concerned with the feelings of others, nor have I ever been accused of being politically correct, but I want to ensure that if you choose to despise me, it is for my intent, and not an inacurate interpretation of my words. I sincerely apologize if my remarks lack clarity in intent. Hopefully, I have provided enough that you can hate me with a clean conscience.

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
Oldguy, I feel that I would be remiss if I did not at least mention the police and firefighters that protect us all on the homefront. You guys deserve a lot of respect as well. It just seemed irrelevant in my other post. As far as beight medically unable to serve, at least you tried, that's more than can be said for most.

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
I've been to the ceremony on 3 occasions. It is truly an impressive display of honor for the fallen.

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
None-the less, a very cool thing they do.

Last edited:

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
I have no ill will towards you, Fru.
I just simply voiced my displeasure with your remarks.
I felt it better than jabbing back with some sort of pimple necked jarhead comment.

1st Bn, 2nd Field Artillery (mechanized),
8th Infantry Division,
United States Army

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…