Arby

Mar 19, 2001
Was wondering what your thoughts were about this: At what
point would you consider a person too big for a KTM 200EXC?
weight and heigth? I know they are great bikes but I imagine
there is a limit as to size and the bike still being competitive?

lawman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 20, 1999
2d place AA in my club's hs series is a guy on a 200 exc, he's prob 6-2 & 215 or so. i think he won AA last year. i know of 5 others (incl. me) who are about the same weight or more, 2 A's & the rest intermediates, who really enjoy riding & racing this bike.

OurMan Flint

Aug 28, 2001
Hight is an absolute non issue, as the 200EXC is one of the taller bikes anyway. As for weight, I would say there is a certain amount of consideration to be given to the following:
Type of riding (MX, Trail, Hare Scramble, Enduro, etc), Riding conditions (Rocky,muddy, sandy, etc), Riding style, importance of bike weight.
As mentioned by other members, there are some reasonably hefty guys out there who are doing pretty well on these excellent bikes.
Hope this helps. :)

Anssi

May 20, 2001
In some circumstances the 200 just won't have enough power. In a mud (as in 1-foot deep goo) MX race yesterday I left a buddy on a 200 EXC standing. I'm on a YZ250 and weigh 205, he weighs maybe 170. He said he just didn't have the grunt to pull through, and in earlier meetings (on solid ground) he has been at least as fast as me.

This is just anecdotal evidence, of course. I did feel very comfortable in the mud as I was able to wrestle the bike into submission and just slam it WFO, unlike on more solid ground where you have to finesse it.

I agree with previous comments that height is no more an issue than with any other bike (and less than with most). The 200 is full-size.

Last edited:

OurMan Flint

Aug 28, 2001
MUD ....

Interesting point about the mud.
I find that it comes down to riding style. The 200 is so light, easy to manouver and nimble, that I can hit most mud wide open and choose my line to scoot over or through it, even darting between slow or stuck riders.
I also found that my 200 had little grunt until I got the jetting really sorted.
My ultimate suggestion would be find your favourite 250 and try them back to back (if that's possible).
Best of luck,

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom