Too much free play in clutch cable?

YZThumper

~SPONSOR~
Aug 6, 2001
I installed a completely new clutch in my KX 250. The previous clutch just would not disengage smoothly. The basket was notched and the tabs on the fiber plates were chewed up where they contacted the clutch basket fingers. I installed a brand new clutch basket and Barnett clutch kit. The clutch cable itself was used less than half a season. After I installed the clutch, I took the bike for a spin and the clutch works super smooth now. The clutch fully disengages, but doesn't do so until I have the clutch lever almost all the way against the handle bar. When I attempted to reduce the free play, I fully extended the adjustments both at lever and on the cable itself. If I fully extend the cable any further, the cable will come apart. The problem is that I still have about 10 mm of free play? Could the clutch cable be worn already? Or, what could I have done during installation that may have caused this?

nickyd

Sep 22, 2004
whoa nellie - does the bike have an adjustable pushrod (some have a nut and a screw that you can adjust) - if so you can internally adjust it. this is not commone however - are you sure you didn't lose something, like, oh say the ball bearing that sits against the push rod where it meets the actuator? I'm going to check your model and see what it has

update - no ball bearing, and no adjustable pushrod - only thing I can think is the cable is worn or one of the shims is on wrong between the pressure plate and the pushrod.

was it fine at first?

Top Bottom