HartlandMI

Nov 13, 2008
My little brother was being helpful and changed the oil in our TTR225 and put WAY too much in. There was so much oil that it was actually coming out of the air filter. I dumped a bunch out and it is at the right level now. Air filter is clean now too. I would expect that the engine is pretty seriously messed up though.
If you are on the throttle all the way it occasionally cuts out for a second and then power resumes. I think there's a big blue cloud that comes out the exhaust at the same time. Sometimes this is annoyingly frequent and sometimes it doesn't happen for a whole day of riding. When ridden slowly by some of our older family members I don't think it happens at all.

Any ideas on what needs to be fixed? Is it going to get any worse if we just leave it alone and keep riding? Anybody else dumb enough to have done this? I hope this will at least be entertaining to some of you.

mas2de

May 3, 2009
???????????????!!!!!!
anyway. you said it was coming out the air filter right? Have you cleaned the carb too? I can't see why too much oil would do damage but I'm not an engineer of motors...yet. I would think that anywhere oil wasn't supposed to be it would either burn it off or suck it through then burn it off. Maybe you are getting a large splash of oil from the bottom of the bowl trying to clog up the main jet and that would explain you sputtering.

How did he overfill it that much? Did he lay it on the side and fill it to brimming point?

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
On a typical four stroke the oil sits in a pad below the crank. With the proper oil level there is enough to ensure that the oil pump never starves but not so much that it will interfere with the crankshaft.

If you fill too much then the crank is operating in oil. The journal will dip in and out, splashing oil everywhere while the impact did bad things. If the oil was so high that it entered into the cylinder the piston could hit it and break the piston.

As a minimum, the massive stirring, slapping and dipping into the oil is going to froth it up considerably. This frothy, foaming oil will then be forced out the crankcase breather, which typically leads to the air cleaner where the oil fumes will be sucked into the intake and burned. This system was intended for a very light oil vapor, not a deluge of oil foam.

It is possible that so much oil was forced into the intake that there are puddles of oil laying about in the intake system. If it is sitting in a low spot it could sit there and not bother anything until the air flow was sufficient to pick it up and carry it into the cylinder. This would explain why riding it slow doesn't cause a problem but getting on it would result in smoke.

The good news is that if the problem is left over oil in the intake then it will probably get better on its own and should clear up fairly quickly.

As for it cutting out: check the plug, it is likely that the oil has fouled it. Otherwise, I would suspect that the cutting out problem is not related to the oil.

Rod

cjclark87

Jul 7, 2009
Chances are the oil coming from the air filter, is airfilter oil which has been sucked up into the carb, then burnt out of the pipe. even if you fill the oil way too much theres no way it could get into the carb.

Top Bottom