mgouras

Dec 13, 2007
I just got my 1991 KDX250 back together, and she's still a smoker.
It seems to me like it's too much white smoke (with a light tint of blue). It smokes at idle, and it smokes more whan I rev it. It strikes me as too much.
Can I drain the tranny oil and let it idle to see if it goes away, perhaps ruling out crank seals?
Can i drain the coolant and run for a cupla minutes to rule out head leak (Or is this too dangerous even for a short period)?
The bike has a new piston and rings. It has 190 compression.
It has a new head gasket (cometic).
I'm running amsoil at 40:1.
Jets are 38 pilot, 160 main and 1368 needle on the top clip. Air screw out 1 1/2 turns.
It idles and runs fine, except for the smoke.

ebeck

Dec 13, 2006
Don't run the bike with out oil.

That seems like normal jetting. Are you loosing oil? I suspect crank oil seals since the oil is white.

If you had a head leak it would have low compresion and if you remove the radiator cap it woud blow out I suspect.

Oftern certian types of ATF can be used instead of oil. The kind with conditioners, they can rehydrate the seal. Neighbors KDX was burning oil with white smoke and since the ATF never lost another drop from the crank case. Obviously of the sealss are really damaged or orn beyond limit it won't help.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
Instead of running without oil or coolant, do a leakdown test on your cylinder.

A search on here for leakdown should come up with a few threads describing the proceedure.

blackduc98

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Dec 19, 2005
My son crashed and cracked the clutch cover on my kdx in the woods, and all tranny oil gushed out of it. I rode the bike back to the parking lot, which was about 1 mile away. After I replaced the clutch cover the bike runs fine. So the moral of the story is this: as a last resort you can let it idle for a short period without tranny oil. But like IndyMX said, it would be better to perform a leakdown test.

Top Bottom