RedRyder

Mar 29, 2001
I was just wondering if the tool bags on KDX's stay closed and are of goog workmanship. The bag on my old XR has gone ka-poot. While trailblazing the other day, I noticed my red replacement lever in the middle of the road on my return trip. I looked back in horror to find the pouch open and my tools gone. The zipper had come apart/came off track. Luckily, I found everthing except my handy pair of Channel-Lock pliers.
Anything like this happen on your KDX's? I'm lusting after a new KDX 220, and I'm just curious about a few small things. Does any body make a Cordura nylon zipper and velco bag that will fit a KDX? I think that fix the problem altogether (if the problem even exists with Kawis).

Chodeman

Apr 11, 2001
I haven't had any probs with the bag on my 220. I used to have an xr many years ago. Had the same problem. One time I crashed pretty good and saw tools flying everywhere because the bag had come open at some point or on impact.

joe woj

Oct 29, 1999
the factory tool bag is a joke, they are prone to zipper failure and are in a bad location if ya gotta get off the bike in a hurry, after loosing about 40 buck worth of craftsman tool i learned two things, 1 - use cheap K-mart tools for your tool bag, 2- move your tool bag behind your headlight , look on reader rides at my idea, a seat wedge pack for a mountian bike fits there perfectly and they cost a heck of alot less than the factory kaw unit 80 bucks as i recall, never had a tool problem since, except for everyone else asking me to carry their stuff.:cool:

motochick

Mar 10, 2001
My stock bags zipper broke during a long ride and my beef jerkey for lunch was inside. I was furious because i spent a lot of time making that jerkey, not to mention I was very hungry! Before the zipper broke the strap that holds everything in place had broken. Had that still been there, maybe I wouldn't have lost my lunch. I threw both kawi bags away after that and went to the Moose bag. It is made my Chase Harper and has an internal strap for holding things down inside. We run theses on all of our bikes and they hold up very well. I think they are abou $42.

Brenda

WR 250

Mar 17, 2000
I have not had any trouble with my bag to date but I was going to mention the Moose bag Canadian Dave reviewed on the JustKDX site. However I can't find it listed there. I remember one of the things he didn't like about it was the height made it hard to slide rearward to avoid low hanging branches.

I checked out joe woj's bike in the readers rides but the picture was too far away to show how the headlight bag was mounted. I'm interested in that set up. C-Dave and joe woj, can you help answer those questions for me?

Westex

Dec 21, 2000
I've had an Xr and a KDX and in my opinion they are identical. The only thing they are good for is granola bars and light snacks. I think I'll just get a motocross style rear fender from Fredette.
Keith

TheMort

May 31, 2000
I just removed the entire bag and instead use a little pouch bag around my waist to carry any extras. The rear fender bag was in a bad place and not very sturdy, plus it looked pretty cheezy being purple on my green bike.

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
I bought a handle bar bag from DK. I hate it

not sure what brand it was but it cost $18. straps to handle bars. I have a large Ims fuel tank and I hate the bag.

Johnboy

Dec 16, 1999
Get a moose rear fender pack. They are water-proof, never open accidentally, hold tons of stuff and holds up for a long time. I have had mine for over a year and through numerous wrecks. Not a rip and water has never gotten into it and my tools have never gotten out.

joe woj

Oct 29, 1999
my idea for a mountian bike seat wedge pack, came from the failure of the stock units faulty zipper, and bad mounting location, you can pick one up at any decent mountian bike shop, i used a blackburn wedge pack made to fit under a bike seat, it will fit right behind the front plate right above the back of the headlight, it has a heavy plastic liner inside so it can be drilled to the plate with a couple of bolts, painted them white to match the plate, it came in black so it will match just about any bike, and its made of heavy nylon mesh and has heavy duty zipper, it fits perfect between the crossbar and the front plate, the only drawback is im not sure that it will work unless you do away with the oddometer, it holds plenty of stuff, and is a good mod that keeps your tools put and out of harms way, hope this helps, if you need more info get back to me,

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Rockrider - a buddy of mine used a bicycle underseat tool case on his KLX, but mounted it to the front of the numberplate, allowing him to retain the odo. His tool case was fabric covered but had a fairly rigid shell, and he used snaps at each corner. It didn't flop around like the larger, soft number plate bags, but it wasn't real large, either.

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2000
There was a post about a bag company that made really nice tool bags- dirt bike specific, they had a website but I forgot it. There was a great number plate bag. I think they were going to start distributing through MSR. Anyone remember the site?:(

WR 250

Mar 17, 2000
dirt bike dave,

I'll have to check into how much space is available on the front number plate of my KDX. I like the idea but I don't want to lose my odo. If it can be made to work then I'll have even more room for TREASURE (line blantly stolen from Terrance & Phillip). Last spring I scored a cell phone and a couple of OEM snowmachine tools on the trail!

Unfortunity I haven't even gotten the bike out this year since on Friday we receieved 4-6 inches of snow. This has been a weird spring even for Alaska. It is presently 34-40 degrees with snow showers in the forecast. :(

rafe

Sep 17, 2000
i have had good luck with my fender bag on my kdx 200.i took a pint mixing oil container cut off a little of the spout cut out some of the side to make like a box. strap it down with the straps and the zipper holds nothing . i think i used a old castor 927 bottle.

sj

Dec 19, 1999
i made atool roll out of a canvas nail apron bought at the hardware store (cut in 1/2) and strap it down inside the bag. I did have to hot glue a piece of plastic in the bottom for reinforcement because the screws pulled through.My buddy bought some little insulated sandwich boxes at wal mart for 5 bucks & bolted one on it seems to be working great.(po folks gots po ways)

TWISTWRIST

Sponsoring Member
Oct 30, 1999
If you cut the tops off two 1Qt. oil bottles and slide them in to each other this makes a great little tool box.When this little box is strapped in no load is placed on the bag and everything will stay dry also.Two straps of plummers tape inside the bag from one bolt to the other will keep the bolt heads from pulling through the bottom of the bag,make sure to locklite the nuts on the underside of the fender.Thease two modifications have kept my bag in great shape through 3 hard years of use.

Tom H

Sep 5, 2000
Good idea Twistwrist! I used a section of old innertube to make a "inner tool pouch" with one end sewed shut with wire thread, and a flap to tuck cut on the other end. I've used it for a couple years and it works OK. I tried your idea this weekend, and I like it much better. It probably wont last as long, but is cheap and easy to replace.
I also tape pliers and minature vice grips shut to keep them from falling apart. and tape the ends of spare spark plugs to keep them clean.

Top Bottom