Kevin D

Aug 13, 2008
Just wondering what kind of tool bags for the KDX everyone is using. I have seen bags that fit over the front plate and bags that strap across the fender. I was thinking about maybe getting the front plate bag. I also found fanny bags but I would be afraid of getting hurt in a crash because of the fanny bag. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Kevin

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Tried them all. A packed tool bag on the rear fender can also make it hard to swing your leg over the bike to get on. May not be a problem on level ground, but if you dump it on some nasty hilly single track, it can be annoying. Plus it can smack you in the butt on whoops.

If you like to carry a lot of tools, maps, extra oil, a sandwich, snacks, etc... the front fender bags are not big enough and more diffiuclt to access than a fanny pack or number plate bag. They are Perfect for a spare tube on a long multi-day ride, but not much else, IMO.

The front number plate bags I've used really bounce around if you have anything heavy in them. It's distracting and annoying on the trail. They are easy to get to, though.

All in all, a decent fanny pack is the most versatile and best option for me. I don't notice mine much when riding. Rather than getting hurt by the fanny pack in a fall, it's more like extra padding, IMO. Easy to pack and access, plenty of sizes available, etc...

ascracer

Oct 21, 2006
Your on a KDX what do you need tools for:)! I guess when I go ride with my friends I do usually have to work on thier bikes. I then take a fanny pack.

SVandal

Jul 18, 2007
camelbak hawg for me. 3L of water and room for tools and food. A little harder to carry on my back than on the bike, but it has cushioned a fall or two so I really don't mind.

KDXdog

May 4, 2005
I use an older Malcolm Smith bag, with the canteen attachments. Also added a plastic , quick adjustment cam buckle, like on bike messenger bags. it's a snap to tighten or loosen the belt on the fly.

My leg was always smacking the stock fender bag also.

Top Bottom