JAJ

Mar 14, 2000
Hey all!

I've been modifing my tool pack for a while now and this is the list of tools I've put together for my WR, I've found though that this seems to work for just about every other bike I've run across.

What do you think?

1. Wrenches 8, 10, 12, 14mm
2. Spoke wrench 6/7
3. Motion Pro basic tire irons (2)
4. Fredette riders wrench 17/22mm
5. Hex key kit 1.5-6mm
6. Long hex head wrenches 4/5mm
7. Spark plug wrench (specific to WR)
9. Flattened roll of duct tape (cool stuff, found it Fred Meyer)
10. Protec Fuel screw adjuster
11. 4 Scab patches (2 small, 2 large)
12. CO2 cartridge w/ Innovations attachment
13. 5ft grip wire
14. Spark plug in case sometimes bring extra 2 stroke plug
15. Craftsman Power Driver (like MSR's 6 in 1 screwdriver but nicer)
16. 3 philips bits, 3 flat bits
17. 8, 10, 12, 14mm sockets with screwdriver attachments
18. 8, 10 mm long sockets
19. 1/4 in ratchet
20. Small vice grip
21. Leatherman Supertool
22. Mag light with extra batteries
23. Tube of super glue
24. Masterlink
25. Zip ties (4)

Also plan on buying a water proof lighter

Question:

A friend suggested that I remove the vise grips because I have the Supertool. Honestly the only time I've ever remember using the vise grips is to put on a master link. What do you think?

Last edited:

cr125_king

Apr 2, 2001
Whoaa!

Thats alot of tools to carry with you. I bring that many with my trailer and more, but i dont take one tool up the mountain:scream: . I never think about braking down.My dads friend has a little msr tool pack on his RMX, but thats about it. If i do carry anything on a long trip, it's extra fuel.I've never thought about it, but if i did get stuck up some of the mountains around here, i'd be kind of screwed>Grizzlies, snow in the summer months too at the higher elevations.

fremontguy

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 1, 2000
Maybe I missed it, but I didn't see nylon zip ties on the big list . I bring lots of those also MSR t-handle 8,10,12 socket wrench, 13mm wrench, 8"crescent, ratchet plug wrench, 3 sparkplugs and some of your tools on list.

singletracker500

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 24, 1999
Besides zip ties, don't forget some duct tape. You can fix a lot with it. I roll a few feet up onto a small piece of dowel, and throw it in my pack.

G. Gearloose

Pigment of ur imagination
Jul 24, 2000
Never been lucky enough person ride with nothing.
Very Nice kit, sounds a lot like my own, even the CPD, cep't...

Extra Master Link
Cotter pins
Zip Ties
few extra fastners.
One 'common' diameter hose clamp.
15 amp spade fuse
few butt connectors

14 tooth c.sprocket threaded to the bottom of the seat. Folding saw in the 'hydro bak'.

Even got a 'baby' can of wd-40 tucked behind the headlight, not really sure why yet...:silly:

You carry some basic first aid items? H2O2 wipes prepackaged are neat. A kerchief for a turnican? (did I say I was wasn't lucky?)

If you can the vice grips, then perhaps add a clutch lever.

Good thing you didn't get into the fani packs..:scream:

Red Plasti-Dipped most the tools for grip and they're easier to find when dropped.

Hadn't considered the super glue, must ponder...:think:

JAJ

Mar 14, 2000
There, I amended my list, I left off zip ties and my master link. Thanks...

As for fanny packs thats a "whole nother can O worms" :) The best pack I've found is the Thor but I plan on making some mods...

I even got my mother interested in making a "custom" :) Raincover....map holder....gotta love my mom :)

JJ

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
I would keep the vise grips and add some LDT(Liquid Duct Tape) also known as, JB Weld. With your tool kit you could be a trail rescue and stay pretty busy.:p

dirtbike59

Sponsoring Member
Oct 12, 2000
A spair clutch perch and lever are good to also get just incase you fall and break them but want to keep riding (if you can). outher tham that I use every thing else on the list also.

Dr.billZ

May 15, 2000
Keep the vise grips!! They are handy for a LOT of things(least of which is it can make a great spare shift lever). I have used it to get out of the woods when my throttle cable broke. I just attached it to what was left and 'pulled' my way out.
I'd add:
-lighter
-JB Weld
-tow strap
-head light bulb(if applicable)
-fuse (if appl.)
-collapsible cup
-spare bike ;)

HowardO

Aug 6, 2000
Throw about 3 ft. of fuel line in there! That is going to be standard for me from now on since I was rescued with it a few weeks back. I'm surprised ST500 didn't mention it because it was his line and his gas that got me back home! Provided your tank is level or beneath the "donor's" tank, just hook the line up petcock to petcock and take a break...it'll do the job!

KLX4smoke

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 16, 2001
Great list, I would add a tow strap and a cell phone (I know, the phone is cheating). Small Ziploc freezer bag for my cash and id/registration/insurance card, etc. Did anyone say swiss army knife? (or is that a "Leatherman" round here?)

GotSand

Aug 28, 2001
I ride with a spare front tube, also can be used for back tire to get you home. I used 7 CO2 cartridges this last weekend in Baja, I'm considering carrying more cartridges or getting a manual pump as backup. In the previous post, someone mentioned a small WD-40 can (2 oz.) I use this to help mount/unmount the tire or to lube misc. stuff. I also have small vice grips, it is good for master links and can also be used as a gear shifter to get you home.

Top Bottom