tonester

Aug 10, 2001
I am doing some fork work on my 01 CR 250. I need to remove the fork caps, but don't really want to spend $40 for RaceTech's fork cap wrench. Can I use big channel locks or can I find the wrench for a better price? :think Please help!!

JTT

~SPONSOR~
Aug 25, 2000
The channel locks may mark up the anodized surface. I know of some who have used a large crescent wrench (very carefully). The cap is usually not that tight. I personnally made a wrench from a small piece of aluminum plate. Simply marked shape and size on plate, drilled holes at each corner and cut between. It's not pretty, but works great. I also beleive there are cheaper sources of this tool on the market, although don't know the name offhand.

Hope this helps.

Jeremy Wilkey

Owner, MX-Tech
Jan 28, 2000
Channel locks are barbaric.. I have used the channel locks until I found the RT tool... Actually in more recent times I would beet your local bicycle shop has what you need. I'll bet it is even cheaper. I like JTT option a soft AL allow tool could be made quick and you'll leave your fork crown looking pristene..

Jer

MACE

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 13, 1999
I Don't Knowa Showa....

...but are you guys talking about needing a thin bladed wrench? I saw an article where a guy used a plumbing wrench which I think is called a "basin wrench". It is basically two plates about 3/16 thick welded to the ends of an adjustable end wrench (aka Cresent wrench). I think they are pretty cheap at Home Despot.

tonester

Aug 10, 2001
Any sort of adjustable wrench that has at least a 2 in. opening will work. I can buy a Craftsman adjustable cresent wrench but it cost more than the actual fork cap tool!! I will look into the basin wrench....Thanks MACE :)

Top Bottom