rcers

Jan 17, 2001
I just took the top end apart on my y2k 300mxc for a off-season inspection.After 2 yrs off play riding,the piston,rings and cylinder look and measure perfect!!!Virtually no wear at all!!!
Should you lightly hone the cylinder walls on a plated cylinder before you re-assemble it and if so what type of hone?
I forgot to label the rings top and bottom,since they are identical rings does it matter that I may not get them back in the original grooves?
Is there a top or bottom side to each ring?I dont see any markings on the faces but one side is really shiney like plating and the other side is dull.
I talked to STEAHLY when modifying a KX85 for woods riding and he told me that you can shift power curve to favor the bottom end of any 2 stroke engine by spacing the pipe farther away from the cylinder.I made a .200" spacer for the 85 pipe and it worked great.Adding a 3 or 4 more exhaust flange gaskets on my 300 would effectivly space my pipe .150"-.200" farther away from the cylinder,would this have the same effect on the 300 as it did on the KX85?
THANKS
rcers

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Be certain that you measure the jug in several places to make sure it's within spec everywhere. Be certain to check ring-end-gap. I would change out the rings at this point no matter what. Check the gap on the new rings as well.
On the honing, I like Scotch-Brite pads and elbow grease.

Bish

~SPONSOR~
Dec 16, 2000
Ditto on scotchbrite pads for cleaning.

Also would suggest replacing ring regardless at this point. I would re-ring every year and replace piston after second or third year. I too was amazed at how well the internals wore.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom