zarak

May 1, 2008
hey my engine siezed the other week on my sx 125. it got a new piston kit and gaskets. the cylinder is being sleeved by LA sleeve or what ever the name is. and today after calling the shop every week for 4 weeks they told me it would be close to a grand. i know a regular rebuild with out a sleeve shouldnt cost more then 400-300 dollars. any one know whats the deal?

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
I can buy a new piston, rings, top bearing and gasket kit for about $150. At my local bike shop a cylinder bore costs around $75.

I have never had to do a sleeve operation so I am not sure exactly what is involved. It appears that the cost of the sleeve itself is about $125 dollars. There would be machine work required to your cylinder to install the sleeve, then the sleeve needs to be bored to the proper diameter. There appears to be custom porting work that can be done for additional charges. If the sleeve needs to be plated on top of all that then I can see the cost getting up there.

Did you know the cost before you sent the cylinder to LA Sleeve? They should be able to give you a itemized list of what all the expenses are.

Rod

zarak

May 1, 2008
rmc_olderthandirt said:
Did you know the cost before you sent the cylinder to LA Sleeve? They should be able to give you a itemized list of what all the expenses are.

Rod

no i had the bike at a local shop, and of course they didnt call or tell me anything, not many people trust them but thats the only shop with in 100 miles

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
It never crossed your mind to ship it to Forward Motion? With shipping, maybe 300 dollars, to have it at original bore. Not included any welding or other extreme failures. They can plate old steel bores also.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Those guys used to be based around Elgin, Il. Ask him how long he hung on to a set of simons forks from around 1979-80, Schunamin or something like that. When Honda came out with its first plated cylinders, I hooked up with that company and was putting liners in for me. Well I got even, and swindled a set of Fox Forks off HIM! Guess where I got my screen name from? Anyhow, IF I was not ignorantly popping them sleeves in, I would have met Eric Gorr sooner! I would have been enlightened to how to PROPERLY maintain a modern 2 stroke. But we always have the opportunity to take 2 steps backwards and still put sleeves in! Ignorance is true bliss.

Top Bottom