TOP-END Rebuild

YZBlitzRider

Jan 31, 2004
I have a YZ125M1 and over due on a top-end rebuild.
Have had some experience breaking-down a bike in my
youth...but its been 20+ years. I also have a machinist background, but not used these skills for 20+ years as well. Would like to do the work myself. Any advise, links, threads, books, tips, etc. would be appreciated.

My initial questions are:
1. What is the best way to achieve the best match for piston/cylinder? Do I plan on having the cylinder re-bored? (or simply replacing the piston) My cylinder has "C" stamped on it.

2. Can the stock Yamaha cylinder be bored, if needed, or is it best to replace (new) both cylinder and piston as a set?

thanks

WaltCMoto

Sponsoring Member
Jan 1, 2001
you dont need to replace the cylinder unless it has bad damage. Take it apart( the easy part) and bring it into your favorite local shop and have them look at it if you are unsure about its condition.

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
Reboring should not be needed unless it is damaged. If it's a newer model, the cylinder should be fine. Get yourself a manual if you don't already have one and read it, then make sure you have all the parts needed along with the gaskets ready. The hardest thing to do is to take something apart for the first time and not be able to put it back together right away. There are some great threads about cylinder wall prep in here if you can search for them. You can get a piston rebuild set for around 80 bucks and a gasket set for around 25. Take your time, especially when it comes to placing the rings on the piston and make sure you take apart your powervalve and clean it. Next, search for the break in procedures here, there's another good thread about that, it's just as important as the rebuild. It's really easy to do once you do it, and don't forget the new coolant too. Good luck

YZBlitzRider

Jan 31, 2004
thanks for the input dudes. got a hold of a manual...specs I'm looking for are listed. Also, looks like there are plenty of threads on to topic. I just need to get in there, break it down
and take a look...take some measurements...go from there :clue:

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…