Top End Replaced...questions

john_bilbrey

Mar 22, 2003
OK, finally got around to doing the top end on the 220 (too many stories floating around concerning the stock piston grenading). Replaced with Wiseco kit (piston, bearings, rings, the whole bit) and a Cometic gasket kit. Left the head on.
Here's the question - when we were putting it back together I noticed what looked like "timing marks" on the right side KIPS valve. Little white dots on the two gears on that side. Is that what those dots were? If so, they weren't lined up with each other when we took it down nor when we put it back together. I haven't had a chance to make sure that everything (ie, KIPS) works yet, although it did start on the first kick and I let it warm up to operating temp. A couple more warm/cool cycles before I actually check full throttle operation.
I guess a service manual would be handy huh?

Braahp

~SPONSOR~
Jan 20, 2001
Hey John...............I've got a service manual if you need to borrow it. Riding this weekend! Lets go!

03KDXHOPPER

Nov 23, 2004
Sometimes a white dot, other times a punch mark. If they weren't lined up when you took it apart and you noted where it went, Kudos. If a bike runs, I mark things in the book as I tear apart, and put it back the way it was.

As far as the piston thing...I prefer the factory Kawi piston because it's made of steel and heavier (more durable). The wiseco is fine if I were to rebuild more than once per year. That's personal preference.

john_bilbrey

Mar 22, 2003
Braahp..we went last weekend in the slop. We had a good time, but man was it slick. It was worse than when we went two weeks ago in the snow and 15* outside! I might like to look at that manual of yours to see if'n I got things back together right.

Hopper, there have been reports of the stock Kawi piston (cast on the 220s) grenading on people ($$$$). I went with the Wiseco because it's forged and will hold up a little better with mods (desert pipe, jetting,etc - turning many mo' revs than a stocker). They looked to be "off" a tooth from lined up upon disassembly. However, I don't think that there is a way that they could get out of time because they "turn" together - they are hooked together.

Braahp, shoot me an email

john _ bilbrey @ charter dot net

KX02

Jan 19, 2004
Those are timing marks. My KX has them also. It is possible to put it together wrong. On my bike doing so would cause the valve to be in the wide open position. If I remember correctly the timing marks were not lined up in the normal relaxed postion. When I tried to pull the actuator arm up thinking I had to line them up I found out that doing so causeed the probem I mentioned.

john_bilbrey

Mar 22, 2003
That was our question - the position of the power valve. We just put everything back together with the PV closed. I haven't got it fully broken in yet to see if things work OK. I still have a couple of warm up / cool down sessions before I rip on it.
We didn't actually take the KIPS all the way down, just removed the right-side cover (with the arm) and took the nut off, just enough to get the jug off. I'm pretty sure we got it back together right...I'll know tomorrow if I didn't.

Braahp...this weekend may be a no-go for me. There is going to be a hare scramble in Sparta on the 23rd, Gordon is putting it on. You interested? I think Dad and I may try to ride it.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
You would have to really try hard to get that assembly wrong. You know that while the bike is sitting there both the actuator and the KIPS valves are 'closed' (not activated). Make sure the valves are closed, put the gear on the actuator shaft.

You could check them manually. Rotate the nut under the slotted cover on the LH side of the cylinder (the end of the main KIPS shaft) and observe that 'stuff' works. If you put it together with the actuator 'closed' and the valves open...it's not going to move too good! ;)

You did support the actuator shaft when you wrenched on that nut, right?

john_bilbrey

Mar 22, 2003
Yes, we had support on it while wrenching on it. I've heard of too many stories of that joker getting torqued wrong without being careful...also remembered it was LH threads!

est142

Dec 30, 2003
just cleaned the kips on my 97 220, so this is fresh in my mind. the marks on my kips shaft, to power valve gear, were also off by one tooth groove, the first time i took it apart. fully close the powervalve by turning the exposed gear. now support the kips shaft on the flat spot. turn the shaft slightly...that will enable you to put the shaft gear on and have it align properly with the powervalve gear. it would only be off by one tooth groove if you left it the way you found it...but might as well put it back the right way. the powervalve will open at a slightly higher rpm if you leave it as you described. i have had a wiseco in my motor for 5 yrs and it still looks mint, just did rings for the first time on this last pull apart.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…