GASGAS18

Apr 25, 2002
Took apart the motor on my 2000 Gasgas ec 200 yesterday
Noticed 2 things
1. The arrow on the the piston was facing the rear of the bike. If i put the new piston facing the rear, it seems like the rings will rub against the cylinder. I thought the arrow should face the front? Which way should it go? Im guessin the front.
2. If im keeping the bike i wanna get my cylinder re-nikasiled. Im tryin to figure out the someone in the New england area that rebuilds cylinders. Anyone know of anybody near me. i live in RI.

David Trustrum

~SPONSOR~
Jan 25, 2001
Eek! Unless the piston is incorrectly marked the arrow should be to the front, either way the ring pegs should be to the back. What I would have thought inevitable if the ring ends find themselves in a large port they will poke out & do some makeshift porting. I guess it would be possible if the pegs were over a bridge that it might survive backwards.

I have seen pistons with a single ring in the middle of the back crossing over a boost port (Rotax), as this is central & doesn’t twist it seems to survive.

There are other reasons for the direction of pistons like offset of the piston pin & more obviously holes in the back of barrel reed valve engines. I have not taken my EC apart yet so I can not comment on the piston itself. One thing I did notice on my GasGas trials bike was the ports were a little on the crudely finished side, how do the enduro ones look?

gas gas jack

Nov 7, 2001
GASGAS18 said:
Took apart the motor on my 2000 Gasgas ec 200 yesterday
Noticed 2 things
1. The arrow on the the piston was facing the rear of the bike. If i put the new piston facing the rear, it seems like the rings will rub against the cylinder. I thought the arrow should face the front? Which way should it go? Im guessin the front.
2. If im keeping the bike i wanna get my cylinder re-nikasiled. Im tryin to figure out the someone in the New england area that rebuilds cylinders. Anyone know of anybody near me. i live in RI.

to my knowledge, piston arrows always point to the exhaust port (except for polaris- go figure?)

i send all our plating to "millennium technologies" in wisconsin; always a great quality job (others vary!!)- easy to call at 920-893-5595; they'll work with you on timing,...probably 2 day ground shipping for you.
jack

s. english

Apr 25, 2003
You may have a Polaris piston in your EC200. I have a highly modified 99 EC200 and have been running Polaris pistons (made by Weisco) for 3-4 years now. Have had no problems. I don't recall which way the arrow has been pointing as I always put the ring pins to the back of the cylinder. Eric Gorr can replate your cylinder for you. He's done dozens for me and has really got the GasGas's figured out. Call Jim or Gabe @ Smackover Motorsports 870-725-3966. They can give you the skinny on the Polaris (Weisco) deal.and are the best source for GasGas parts and info in the USA. Great people. Check out their web site.

GASGAS18

Apr 25, 2002
steve e said:
You may have a Polaris piston in your EC200. I have a highly modified 99 EC200 and have been running Polaris pistons (made by Weisco) for 3-4 years now. Have had no problems. I don't recall which way the arrow has been pointing as I always put the ring pins to the back of the cylinder. Eric Gorr can replate your cylinder for you. He's done dozens for me and has really got the GasGas's figured out. Call Jim or Gabe @ Smackover Motorsports 870-725-3966. They can give you the skinny on the Polaris (Weisco) deal.and are the best source for GasGas parts and info in the USA. Great people. Check out their web site.

how can i get a hold of eric gorr? Is he on the site. ill search here for him.
How much does he charge as well? Thanks

s. english

Apr 25, 2003
Eric's web site http://www.eric-gorr.com/services/cylrebuild.html
Check it out. He has many different options. There is a new phone # listed on his sight. You can call him and actually talk to him. You may have to leave him a message but he will call you back. Unlike other repair shops, he actually gets involved with everything that comes into his shop. Don't forget to go to Smackover Motorsports web site. This is a GasGas only site with a wealth of information, many great minds on this site including some very smart engineers that ride GasGas.

GASGAS18

Apr 25, 2002
steve e said:
Eric's web site http://www.eric-gorr.com/services/cylrebuild.html
Check it out. He has many different options. There is a new phone # listed on his sight. You can call him and actually talk to him. You may have to leave him a message but he will call you back. Unlike other repair shops, he actually gets involved with everything that comes into his shop. Don't forget to go to Smackover Motorsports web site. This is a GasGas only site with a wealth of information, many great minds on this site including some very smart engineers that ride GasGas.

yea ive posted before on smackover. Ive deal with them before. They are great guys. I called eric gorr. His price is good, but right now its gona take about 4 weeks, so i'll hafta pass. I found somewhere that can do it in 2 weeks for the same price so ill prolly go with them.

Top Bottom